Have you ever delt with jealously for another's success?

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Have you ever delt with jealously for another's success?

Postby BronyMetalMix » 27 Jul 2013 19:24

Have you guys ever felt jealous of another friends success? How do you all deal with it? I could use some advice, cause whenever i go onto facebook and see status about how "I got signed to a record label!" or "I'm getting my album released on iTunes soon." I can't help but be put a bit down and feel jealous. I'm happy for them, i really am. I remember all the people and fans who have and continue to support me, but something in my mind puts me down and makes me jealous. I would love if you guys could give me some advice or words of wisdom that I can remember when I feel like this.

Thanks,
Note Wise
Things to Improve on in 2015
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing
"Flow of Energy" in a song

DAW: FL Studio 11, Logic Pro X
VST: Nexus, TAL-NoiseMaker, Komplete 10,
Equipment: APC40, AudioBox USB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/notewise
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/notewise
BronyMetalMix

Primary: FL Studio, and Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Electronic and Guitar

Re: Have you ever delt with jealously for another's success?

Postby the4thImpulse » 27 Jul 2013 19:45

I do all the time.... Quick story: just over a year ago I met some local people with similar interests in EDM production and DJing, they were great producers and I was a great DJ so we decided share our knowledge. Well now that they have gotten the DJing down (they aren't great but good enough for today's, low, standards) they have ceased regular contact with me and are continually getting gigs and fans. I feel a little cheated.

There will always be more opportunities for us, I look at how far I've come in the last couple years and remember all that's happened to get me to where I am. I am very thankful for all of it and I know if I keep working at it more and more oppurtunities will come my way. Seem people find sucess fast others slow, there is a lot of luck in the timing, just remember to be patient and looking foward. Don't look at others sucess as where you've failed, it's their sucess and you can have the same.

I now Wolfgang Gartner sent out his music to labels for 7 years before getting his first signing. Be patient and be happy for those that succeed, it never hurts to ask how they got to where they are or who they've talked too.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby BronyMetalMix » 27 Jul 2013 19:58

Wow, that's quite a story I must say. I can't blame ya for feeling a bit cheated. It's like "Oh we got what we wanted out of you, now we'll leave you." I liked your 2nd and 3rd paragraph, that's actually the kind of words and wisdom I need to remember when I feel like that. I know I'm close to celebrating 50 subs on youtube so that is something. ^_^ I know the biggest thing that has happened in my "Career" so far is being #1 on the charts of Reverbnation for my area. That was huge and I'm no doubt thankful for that and everyone that liked my music
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
BronyMetalMix

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 27 Jul 2013 22:20

I'm more focused on just making music for my own enjoyment. I mean, sure, I'd like a little success some time down the road, but that's not my priority.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby ExoBassTix » 28 Jul 2013 04:00

I have this from time to time as well, not seeing producing as my hobby but as my to-be full occupation.
Thanks for the words, 4th, they might be useful for me.

I'm sorry as I don't have any tips myself. The jealousy just fades eventually (just like any other thought, drawn into the void of oblivion).
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby JSynth » 28 Jul 2013 07:02

Most of my music friends have more subs than I do. I just try to keep my mind on my music and my goal of reaching EQD Spotlight Music.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Jokeblue » 28 Jul 2013 07:48

I'd post my jealousy situation with my friends but i'm too side tracked and tired to write out a whole big thing on it.

So maybe whenever I feel like it or when my trial exams are done in 2 and a half weeks i'll post my thingo here.

If that means i'll have to necro then by jove i'll necro :3
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Freewave » 28 Jul 2013 11:00

It's very strange how some rather silly stuff goes viral and plenty of stuff does not. On one hand I'm glad my peers and friends are pretty grounded people and make good music that not everyone is going to like but i hate seeing real mundane stuff hit 500,000 views. Half the time i just don't get why it does.

But every time i start feeling bad for myself i look at my subs realize those are people who believe in me and like what i do. There's PLENTY of people above me and PLENTY of people below me. So that should be humbling and remind us that we're just another musician out of a lot of people and that's nothing to feel that smug or that bad about. Just enjoy the little victories and the slow growth if that's what you get. Do your own thing and focus less on the community if you feel jealousy bothering you.

In regards of jealousy with friends....my best brony friend makes better music then i do, he's more popular, and i don't mind, that's as it should be. I love his music. He's got my back and i have his. He's my best friend and popularity doesn't weigh into it as he's a nice guy first and foremost. You have to have people you trust in your life and with that popularity shouldn't matter. If the person has good character you'll know pretty quickly and those are the people you want in your life. People who have your back and are there when you need them and they need you.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Jul 2013 11:06

I don't get jealous because I know that they spent years doing what they're famous for, and I can predict that if I work as hard as they've been working for as long as they've been doing it, I can do as good as they can.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby BronyMetalMix » 28 Jul 2013 14:01

Freewave wrote:It's very strange how some rather silly stuff goes viral and plenty of stuff does not. On one hand I'm glad my peers and friends are pretty grounded people and make good music that not everyone is going to like but i hate seeing real mundane stuff hit 500,000 views. Half the time i just don't get why it does.

But every time i start feeling bad for myself i look at my subs realize those are people who believe in me and like what i do. There's PLENTY of people above me and PLENTY of people below me. So that should be humbling and remind us that we're just another musician out of a lot of people and that's nothing to feel that smug or that bad about. Just enjoy the little victories and the slow growth if that's what you get. Do your own thing and focus less on the community if you feel jealousy bothering you.

In regards of jealousy with friends....my best brony friend makes better music then i do, he's more popular, and i don't mind, that's as it should be. I love his music. He's got my back and i have his. He's my best friend and popularity doesn't weigh into it as he's a nice guy first and foremost. You have to have people you trust in your life and with that popularity shouldn't matter. If the person has good character you'll know pretty quickly and those are the people you want in your life. People who have your back and are there when you need them and they need you.

Thanks for that as well Freewave. I do agree with that last statement. I also remember that even with their success, we're still friends in the end. Those people care about me, and like talking to me. It's always good to be a PERSON first. You could have the most amazing sounding music...but be just an asshole when it comes to talking to people and have the biggest ego around. I'm not like that myself, I try and be nice to all the people I met. Like you said, I'm always happy with the little success I have. I'm very close to getting 50 subs on my youtube channel and that makes me feel good. But like you said, have your friends back and they'll have yours. You never know where it might take you.
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing

BronyMetalMix

Postby Alycs » 28 Jul 2013 14:49

I've never felt really "jealous", but I often tease one of my friends about her music, as her stuff usually gets a few thousand views because she has a giant tumblr following and does mash-ups of popular songs (mostly homestuck and various anime or other fandom themes); but the content alone has gotten her over twice the following I have, even though I have taught her literally everything she knows about electronic music.

I guess I could feel jealous, but its more of just bemusement (especially because she doesn't really like being in a spotlight)

Really the only time I've ever felt jealous was at the music camp I went to a week ago. If you are a piano major (like I was), you have to take a theory exam that sorts you into A and B, catagories, and everyone in A (including myself) had to write and perform a song for piano by the end of the camp. However, because of scheduling errors, theory was cancelled nearly half the days, and very few of the kids had experience composing. As I already knew what I was going to write, I spent most of the time I should have used for practicing and composing to help other kids put a song together that sounded good. However, since I couldn't practice my own song, on the final performance day, most of the other kids played their songs nearly perfectly and were complimented by the teacher for "excellent musical understanding and technique" but I messed mine up in multiple spots, and the teacher practically ignored me when giving comments of what people did well.

----

Also, a tip when dealing with "not enough subscribers": If you have over 18 subscribers you can legally start your own state-recognized religion according to American law.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Mr.Afrox » 28 Jul 2013 16:39

itroitnyah wrote:I don't get jealous because I know that they spent years doing what they're famous for, and I can predict that if I work as hard as they've been working for as long as they've been doing it, I can do as good as they can.
Mr.Afrox

Primary: FL STUDIO 11.04

Postby Conchetupony » 29 Jul 2013 21:48

Definitely, there's so many great artists out there and I wish I could be at least close to their level. Really encourages me to get better.

Freewave wrote:It's very strange how some rather silly stuff goes viral and plenty of stuff does not.

Kinda unrelated, but I've often found myself that effort put into something isn't proportional to how good it is - I realized this while reading about Toastbeard (giving it a shot this week yayay); to think that the likes of WoodenToaster's "Beyond Her Garden" and Bronyfied's "One Last Letter" were written, mixed and mastered (though then remastered probably) in under a week is astonishing to say the least. :P

Guess fame, as with writing good songs, results mostly from luck after all.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Return to Off-Topic Discussion