i can't believe it (brony musicians on beatport)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: i can't believe it (brony musicians on beatport)

Postby Symphon » 21 Jul 2013 17:16

itroitnyah wrote:I interpret people saying "We should feel embarrassed by them" as something along the lines of "they made an idiot of themselves", so while Freewave probably isn't embarrassed by how horrible their performance was, he does think that they made idiots of themselves. Or, that's what I'm taking from what he said.

I don't really think that's what it sounds like. And regardless, saying they weren't good is one thing, saying they were idiotic is another. The entire thing just sounds disrespectful, and I really don't like that.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Jul 2013 17:19

There was an event. It was kinda crap and people looked silly.

That's the situation in a nutshell. I think we should stop fussing over it.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Freewave » 21 Jul 2013 17:26

Yeah I'm embarrassed that beatport can highlight 7 minutes of solid FAIL to rub in the faces of just how awkward and unprofessional our music scene can be. In other words THAT is why they make fun of us. Because they see videos like that and presume this is how it is.

I don't think i need a lecture on the art of dj'ing when i've been dj'ing for years IN clubs and done plenty of weddings and when i've seen countless electronic acts perform at a professional level. You do want to give the appearance that you know what you are doing when you perform or at least put on a good face and not geek it up. There's amateur (which i expect) and then there's some of them making idiots of themselves (thank you itroitnyah, that is what i mean)... Some of the guys really did do an ok job and I'm not talking about THEM. I'm glad they had a fun time with it and the fans enjoyed/ rolled along with... what they heard, but a lot of it was frankly cringe-worthy and i've explained why and i don't need to be interrogated or explain about it further. I've fully explained how i see that video...

Sure we'll get over this and there will be better convention raves before and after this but let's learn how to not repeat some of the problems we saw on this video.... edit crap out if its embarrassing, use different camera angles if it's a bad one, and get people onstage who know what performing is about. If you're gonna upload a video to the internet make sure it does not make us all look like a bunch of fools as it could go viral in the wrong hands as this one did.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Freewave » 21 Jul 2013 17:33

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:There was an event. It was kinda crap and people looked silly.

That's the situation in a nutshell. I think we should stop fussing over it.

agreed.
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 21 Jul 2013 20:01

Symphon wrote:And, like I said, a majority of brony DJs are amateurs. A performance such as this is expected. However, we've also had many VERY successful performances. The only thing I could possibly get even the slightest bit upset about in this article is the fact that they chose THIS performance out of all of the ones available.

The reason is simple: People WANT to see bronies make fools of themselves, that's why channels like My Little Spaghetti exist. It's not that most bronies are more prone to making a fool of themselves than the general population, it's that's the view certain people have of bronies, so they will collect the information that will support their view and stock pile it. It's wank to satisfy confirmation bias.

Now, the other thing at play is the concept of News, where News gives a warped perspective of the world because they look for novel or sensational. At one point in time Brony Music was news, and when it was reported on then it was positively received. Just look at Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... c-20120420 and http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu ... ic-0307099 . Now Brony Music isn't news anymore, and most people don't care that some bronies can DJ well. (Something like Musiquestria is, so it's a shame that isn't reported more). Bad performances aren't news either. They happen all the time. Now, bad BRONY performances are news because of the subtle demand for such news as mentioned in the previous paragraph. Basically, as bronies there is already significant bias against you, and unless you prove you are flawless there are people who will jump on every mistake.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Nine Volt » 21 Jul 2013 21:03

I think the desire to see bronies make fools of themselves (which I enjoy watching videos of, possibly due to the added cringe factor in that, having once been a brony, I know what they're talking about when they randomly shout out the lyrics to the Smile Song in a crowded mall) is at least partially the fact that they tend to do it more spectacularly or publicly than other groups. Yes, it can also be to confirm preexisting biases against them, so don't say anything. Either way I enjoy watching them.
Nine Volt

Postby Stars In Autumn » 21 Jul 2013 23:20

I wish our DJs did act more professional. I'm learning how to DJ myself and while I was at EFNW I saw quite a few of the "golden rules" I've been reading about being broken. Sure, the crowd had a blast, but when you have DJs talking into the mic constantly and none of the DJs transition between each other's sets, it's not quite as effective as having just one long mix. In contrast, an Armin van Buuren show I saw, none of the DJs talked (except for Armin at the very end) and each transitioned smoothly into the next set. Perhaps it's because those DJs are more renown so they don't have to psyche up the crowd as much, but it seemed much more effective.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby ganondox » 22 Jul 2013 02:27

Nine Volt wrote:I think the desire to see bronies make fools of themselves (which I enjoy watching videos of, possibly due to the added cringe factor in that, having once been a brony, I know what they're talking about when they randomly shout out the lyrics to the Smile Song in a crowded mall) is at least partially the fact that they tend to do it more spectacularly or publicly than other groups. Yes, it can also be to confirm preexisting biases against them, so don't say anything. Either way I enjoy watching them.

There might be small correlation, but I doubt there is any statistically exceptional rate of public or spectacular outburst on a whole. Bronies are group with preexisting stereotypes that were inherited because gays are stereotyped as liking girly things, and manchildren as liking animation for children. Stereotypes evolve from perception, not statistics, and in turn stereotypes skew perception because of confirmation bias. With a fandom as large as bronies there are going to be some people who live up to the stereotypes. Also, here is a little fact that skews perception of anything a ton: only the people who act publicly can be noticed, and only the people who act spectacularly will be remembered. If someone likes the show but never posts about it, no one will know. Only the people who do post can be recognized, and generally the more obsessed anyone is about anything the more they will post about it. If someone likes the show and never mentions it in public no one will know. If someone cosplays as Fluttershy everyone will know they are a brony, regardless of existing stereotypes. Now, since ponies are regarded as unusual anything relating to them is regarded as more spectacular than the norm, no one blinks an eye when someone wears a tv shirt advertising a music group, but a pony is another story. In all actuality they are being equally public about their interests, but the brony will be branded as being more public and spectacular because it's not seen as normal. As the people who aren't noticed are dropped out the equation the results are going to be skewed in favor of those who act publicly and spectacularly. Of course I'm biased, but everybody is.

Now, cringe collections of bronies are heavily biased as 1. people do cringe worthy stuff all the time, it's just no one is collecting them under a certain label and implying that the label is the cause of the contents and 2. while lots of those videos are cringe worthy in their own right some the cringe factor is only amplified because they have an existing emotional association with bronies and cringe worthy behavior.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Symphon » 22 Jul 2013 08:11

ganondox wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:I think the desire to see bronies make fools of themselves (which I enjoy watching videos of, possibly due to the added cringe factor in that, having once been a brony, I know what they're talking about when they randomly shout out the lyrics to the Smile Song in a crowded mall) is at least partially the fact that they tend to do it more spectacularly or publicly than other groups. Yes, it can also be to confirm preexisting biases against them, so don't say anything. Either way I enjoy watching them.

-snip-

Well, he just explained it better than I ever could. Pretty much this.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby Freewave » 22 Jul 2013 10:19

Stars In Autumn wrote:I wish our DJs did act more professional. I'm learning how to DJ myself and while I was at EFNW I saw quite a few of the "golden rules" I've been reading about being broken. Sure, the crowd had a blast, but when you have DJs talking into the mic constantly and none of the DJs transition between each other's sets, it's not quite as effective as having just one long mix. In contrast, an Armin van Buuren show I saw, none of the DJs talked (except for Armin at the very end) and each transitioned smoothly into the next set. Perhaps it's because those DJs are more renown so they don't have to psyche up the crowd as much, but it seemed much more effective.

I agree completely. The reason those guys are pro's and that's how they act is because they know how to professionally dj and that means following the golden rules.

As Makkon would say "learn how to dj and perform well first" and "do pony music second"

A brony performer should not break all the rules in the book to "get seen" or remembered. Just perform WELL. That's how you should be remembered, as a good performer.
Last edited by Freewave on 22 Jul 2013 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Freewave

Postby ExoBassTix » 22 Jul 2013 10:27

Freewave wrote:A brony performer should not break all the rules in the book to "get seen" or remembered. Just perform WELL.

But I do want to mention that this DJ Midli is now massively known.

And why?
Because we ramble on and on and on about it.

It may be harsh, but I'd rather not know of any DJs this way.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby DjMidli » 08 Aug 2013 01:11

Symphon wrote:As a DJ, I would really like to say:
Who gives a fuck? I'm not one to usually be condescending, but Jesus Christ. Who cares if it's "subpar?" When you DJ, you don't play the music to sound professional. You don't do it to get rep. You don't do it because you want everyone to hear the same music you listen to on a daily basis. You're supposed to DJ to let other people have fun.

If that was accomplished, why should anything else matter? If the room was enjoying themselves, what else could you do? DJing is an art, yes, you could say that, but an art with a certain goal: To push emotions and energy into people. Who cares about anything else?

And for anyone saying that this is a disgrace or anything like that to DJs, I have to say two things: These are amateur DJs with amateur equipment. Expecting anything else is your fault. And two: If you say DJing is about anything other than the happiness you can give to others during your sets, then get off your elitism pedestal and realize that it's just about having fun. Nothing else.

I'm gonna get a freakin' drink.

This guy right here. Also Howdy all.

We all had a laugh about this, we aren't concerned and I'm going to keep on doing my thing at every convention I go to. I won't let some video slow me down, nor will I let hate from here or anywhere. Feel free to reply to me about any specifics, I will reply.
DJ and producer of hard music with a powerful stage presence hailing from BC, Canadeh.
Denon MC-6000 | ATH - M40x
Traktor | Fl Studio

http://www.youtube.com/DJMidli
https://twitter.com/DjMidli
DjMidli

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Hard & Sweet

Postby cplbradley » 08 Aug 2013 06:00

The problem I have is there's good DJs and there's bad DJs. These guys are mostly bad DJs who simply crossfade between 2 songs. A GOOD DJ would take the time to learn the music he plays and actually match up segments of the songs to seamlessly transition between them while keeping the beat going.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby HMage » 08 Aug 2013 16:36

I wonder how people at GalaCon perceived me & Thorinair DJ'ing there.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 18:16

HMage wrote:I wonder how people at GalaCon perceived me & Thorinair DJ'ing there.

You got any footage? I'd love to see it.
Freewave

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion