i can't believe it (brony musicians on beatport)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

i can't believe it (brony musicians on beatport)

Postby Raddons » 19 Jul 2013 00:21

http://news.beatport.com/blog/2013/07/1 ... luva-rave/

haha holy shit don't quit your day jobs kids
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: i can't believe it (brony musicians on beatport)

Postby HMage » 19 Jul 2013 00:29

Raddons wrote:http://news.beatport.com/blog/2013/07/12/houstons-my-little-pony-convention-throws-one-helluva-rave/

haha holy shit don't quit your day jobs kids

Source of the meme — http://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments ... reel_from/ — the post was hidden because bronies moaned about it too much, so the author had to re-post this everywhere else.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Nine Volt » 19 Jul 2013 00:46

E:
Higher quality :3
Nine Volt

Postby Viricide Filly » 19 Jul 2013 06:08

Still sickens me that people take the piss.
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby 3ternal » 19 Jul 2013 07:40

I have to agree with Viri on this one. The video was funny the first 25 times, but now it's just gotten old.
My Youtube My Soundcloud
My name's Vivian, and I make music with no educational value whatsoever.
DAW: Ableton Live 9
VSTs: NI Massive, Kontakt,
Genres: Stuff your parents wouldn't like
eery wrote:fuck you and your big e.
3ternal

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Literally just Static

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Jul 2013 08:56

I feel bad for the people who made the tracks Midli played.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Jul 2013 10:05

I feel bad for the djs in general. It looks like this convention shamed djs around the world that they share a career/hobby/job with the people who djed here (although I only watched a portion of the 7-min thing, where it's set to start in the post by beatport, lol)
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby ganondox » 19 Jul 2013 10:15

I think this comment sums things up well:

"The hypocricy in these comments is mind boggling. As a parent of four kids I would feel FAR safer with them being at this concert than anywhere near most of these commenters. Yikes!"
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Viricide Filly » 19 Jul 2013 11:43

I think all of you are fucking retarded
You guys are taking the piss because these guys are having a good time
THAT'S ALL THEY'RE FUCKING DOING
SHUT THE FUCK UP
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Postby Viricide Filly » 19 Jul 2013 12:10

My rage is justified, don't tell me to go away with it.
We breakfast is e

Viricide Filly

Postby Viricide Filly » 19 Jul 2013 12:19

Fahk u
Alright
I'll go away. But just know every time this is brought up I lose a little more faith for this fandom.
We breakfast is e

Viricide Filly

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 07:55

Man i really wish i could unsee that video :( I just feel really embarassed to have that broadcast to the world as who WE are and how the music community is. I know that might upset people like Viricide not to laugh off or rage against the haters who come in to make fun of us but i just wish that the people who put that con together would consider how they put on a live performance. That goes from the music they played, the way they mixed it, stage presence, how they act to the crowd, technical difficulties and delays, and even how they chose to record and broadcast the feed (BAD angle, no pans). I get that they had FUN and that we should likely be united when under seige but the people who are laughing because we look like a bunch of amateur hacks in that video have a point. I really would not like that video to be the public face of brony music because it's frankly embarassing.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ph00tbag » 20 Jul 2013 11:06

I think it's pretty cool that beatport could keep it pretty neutral, even in light of how poorly executed the event was.

But it is a convention rave. Prevailing wisdom dictates that those are never inherently good experiences. You definitely have to go into them with a will to enjoy yourself. If you go in wanting to judge them, you're going to wind up judging them.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby ganondox » 20 Jul 2013 11:29

ph00tbag wrote:I think it's pretty cool that beatport could keep it pretty neutral, even in light of how poorly executed the event was.

But it is a convention rave. Prevailing wisdom dictates that those are never inherently good experiences. You definitely have to go into them with a will to enjoy yourself. If you go in wanting to judge them, you're going to wind up judging them.

Precisely. At a convention the rave is a side attraction, not the main event, so naturally you can expect it to be subpar to an actual rave. It's not the fact that this was brony run that it was subpar like the youtube commenters suggest, it's the fact that it's a rave at some random convention.
ganondox

Postby Tasorrog » 20 Jul 2013 12:01

i'm just sitting here laughing my ass of lol
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio

Postby Symphon » 21 Jul 2013 12:35

As a DJ, I would really like to say:
Who gives a fuck? I'm not one to usually be condescending, but Jesus Christ. Who cares if it's "subpar?" When you DJ, you don't play the music to sound professional. You don't do it to get rep. You don't do it because you want everyone to hear the same music you listen to on a daily basis. You're supposed to DJ to let other people have fun.

If that was accomplished, why should anything else matter? If the room was enjoying themselves, what else could you do? DJing is an art, yes, you could say that, but an art with a certain goal: To push emotions and energy into people. Who cares about anything else?

And for anyone saying that this is a disgrace or anything like that to DJs, I have to say two things: These are amateur DJs with amateur equipment. Expecting anything else is your fault. And two: If you say DJing is about anything other than the happiness you can give to others during your sets, then get off your elitism pedestal and realize that it's just about having fun. Nothing else.

I'm gonna get a freakin' drink.
Last edited by Symphon on 21 Jul 2013 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby Viricide Filly » 21 Jul 2013 12:42

Symphon wrote:As a DJ, I would really like to say:
Who gives a fuck? I'm not one to usually be condescending, but Jesus Christ. Who cares if it's "subpar?" When you DJ, you don't play the music to sound professional. You don't do it to get rep. You don't do it because you don't want everyone to hear the same music you listen to on a daily basis. You're supposed to DJ to let other people have fun.

If that was accomplished, why should anything else matter? If the room was enjoying themselves, what else could you do? DJing is an art, yes, you could say that, but an art with a certain goal: To push emotions and energy into people. Who cares about anything else?

And for anyone saying that this is a disgrace or anything like that to DJs, I have to say two things: These are amateur DJs with amateur equipment. Expecting anything else is your fault. And two: If you say DJing is about anything other than the happiness you can give to others during your sets, then get off your elitism pedestal and realize that it's just about having fun. Nothing else.

THANK YOU. At least someone isn't a god damn idiot around here.
Leave the guys alone seriously
We breakfast is e

Viricide Filly

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Jul 2013 13:15

Who gives a fuck? I'm not one to usually be condescending, but Jesus Christ. Who cares if it's "subpar?" When you DJ, you don't play the music to sound professional. You don't do it to get rep. You don't do it because you want everyone to hear the same music you listen to on a daily basis. You're supposed to DJ to let other people have fun.

We aren't commenting about how much they aren't having fun, it's apparent they're having fun, we're just commenting that they obviously aren't good at djing, even if they did have better equipment. We can say this whether it matters or not.
itroitnyah

Postby ganondox » 21 Jul 2013 13:27

itroitnyah wrote:

We aren't commenting about how much they aren't having fun, it's apparent they're having fun, we're just commenting that they obviously aren't good at djing, even if they did have better equipment. We can say this whether it matters or not.

I don't think he was referring to us, I think he was referring to all the assholes commenting on the video.
ganondox

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Jul 2013 14:01

I'm assuming he was referring to us, otherwise he woulda included somewhere in his reply something about the commenters on the youtube video.
itroitnyah

Postby Freewave » 21 Jul 2013 14:07

Well there were some of US who were commenting on that clip as well. And as a long-time dj i DO expect that those who perform live try to keep it to a semi-professional level both in terms of what they play, how they mix, and how they perform. Again i get that they HAD FUN but this just plain looks bad when they look like a bunch of awkward idiots on stage. This represents our public face to non-bronies and edm fans when its put on beatport. I'd LIKE to say that brony music is good music and this does not really show that or represent us well. I think we should feel quite a bit embarrassed by it all around. It makes me realize how far behind we still are in representing our culture out in public. But hey whinge away.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Jul 2013 16:20

Viricide Filly wrote:THANK YOU. At least someone isn't a god damn idiot around here.

Viri, I get that you're upset, but that doesn't give you an excuse to be an abusive twat to everyone here. Get off the internet, calm down, and come back with a little more clarity next time. Because Eery is right, it's getting annoying.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Symphon » 21 Jul 2013 16:26

itroitnyah wrote:I'm assuming he was referring to us, otherwise he woulda included somewhere in his reply something about the commenters on the youtube video.

I was referring to anyone making a big deal out of the situation. It's fine to say they weren't that great at the actual performance, as they weren't. What I was referring to was shit like:
Freewave wrote:I think we should feel quite a bit embarrassed by it all around.

This. I get it, they weren't exactly good at their performance. I realize that. But are you serious? You feel -embarrassed- because of their performance, merely because you -may- be related to them in terms of a personal interest? In all honesty, we don't need to prove anything to anyone about music, so what is there to be embarrassed about? And, like I said, a majority of brony DJs are amateurs. A performance such as this is expected. However, we've also had many VERY successful performances. The only thing I could possibly get even the slightest bit upset about in this article is the fact that they chose THIS performance out of all of the ones available.

And lastly, if you're honestly getting embarrassed over this, just ask yourself: Why am I bothering myself with this? For every really bad DJ, there's one equally as good. Stop fretting yourself about stuff like this and just roll with the punches.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Jul 2013 17:03

I interpret people saying "We should feel embarrassed by them" as something along the lines of "they made an idiot of themselves", so while Freewave probably isn't embarrassed by how horrible their performance was, he does think that they made idiots of themselves. Or, that's what I'm taking from what he said.
itroitnyah

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 Jul 2013 17:05

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:
Viricide Filly wrote:THANK YOU. At least someone isn't a god damn idiot around here.

Viri, I get that you're upset, but that doesn't give you an excuse to be an abusive twat to everyone here. Get off the internet, calm down, and come back with a little more clarity next time. Because Eery is right, it's getting annoying.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion