That feel bro...

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

That feel bro...

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 11:58

If you guys haven't noticed, I'm sorta a newpony when it comes to this site. Something just feels a little... empty. Kinda like this site had a heyday, and I was late to the party. I'm just wondering if the remix wars really do have that much of an exhausting effect on this site or if y'all just prefer lurk mode or something. I don't know why but this place feels like a ghost town, and I know it definitely can be WAY more than that.

So I have a simple request:
Post more. Share more. At least drop in and say 'hey, good job, good luck' when you get the chance.

I want to see this place explode with creativity and fun. I want to see support for those posters that get quickly overlooked. It doesn't need to be an hour a day thing, it could be 5 minutes, just post something. It would help this place grow so much.

It also kinda seems like this site is Survivor Island where all the groups are formed and if you're not in one you starve. AKA: cliquey. Try to be less of that.

I understand that this is hard on forums, but after a while this place will polish up. I know y'all can do it.

/rant
Sorry but it was too strong a feel to let go. ;)
I don't believe in work. I believe in productive play. - me

Yamaha DGX-620, Garageband '11.
Instruments: Piano (by ear since I was 3), violin (barely), Guitar (novice).

http://soundcloud.com/piercingsight
http://youtube.com/user/danegraphics
PiercingSight

Re: That feel bro...

Postby X-Trav » 14 Oct 2011 12:00

I know dat feel bro.

I learned after a while that everyone hangs out in a Skype chat room.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Senator Myth » 14 Oct 2011 12:10

Yep, what X-Trav said. It's a great place to connect to your fellow brony musicians, although the IRC is also a really easy great place to start!

Also, PiercingSight, I think that you may have rubbed a few people the wrong way in the modern classical thread... That's okay, though, it's not like they'll dislike you forever or anything, you just unfortunately got off on the wrong hoof with some people. Just keep being friendly and respectful (exactly like you've been doing!) and you're bound to start making some more friends.

Also, be sure to click the View Active Topic button at the top of the page, and you'll see very soon that this site is anything but abandoned.

Yes, we are a little bit cliquey. I think we can all admit that, but it's something that we're working to get over as a community.

And I'd like to reiterate that our community does do most of its things off of the board, and has been that way for a few months now--the forums are more communal and more permanent, as well as more formal, than the chatrooms, so we still use it quite a bit.

Either way, I'm sorry if you ever felt unwelcomed/abandoned, I'll admit that I myself may have been a bit terse in that Modern Classical thread, but don't let that get you down! If you're a brony and you make music, then you'll always be welcome here.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby bartekko » 14 Oct 2011 12:19

you all know what this calls for: Moar posts.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 12:21

@senator
Yeah... That thread wasn't my best moment, though I did apologize and fix my words back there. And I don't think Dr. D took it too harshly. :P

Well, from my standpoint, the chatrooms are what make this place so cliquey. It makes this place feel cold.

And since you brought this to my attention, it seems almost on purpose that I didn't know there WAS an IRC, much less how to get to it.

So how do I? EDIT: Found it... though it could be placed a little better on the site... Like in a stickied front page post labeled "Chat room".

PiercingSight

Postby Andy Feelin » 14 Oct 2011 12:24

I am usually very bad in finding my place in a company of people who already know each other, have some common memes, jokes, language, experience. This is how I understand your words about you being "late to the party". But believe me, this is just another lesson in magic of friendship. And somehow I learned it. You start communicating not with all the people at once but with someone in particular, privately. And then all you need is to experience some event with all of the people. Thus you will be at the party. You will feel that you are a part of the community. Then you will no more need the activity on the forum, and checking "Unread posts" will be quite enough.
Sorry for mess that I wrote. Hope I can help.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 12:26

Andy Feelin wrote:I am usually very bad in finding my place in a company of people who already know each other, have some common memes, jokes, language, experience. This is how I understand your words about you being "late to the party". But believe me, this is just another lesson in magic of friendship. And somehow I learned it. You start communicating not with all the people at once but with someone in particular, privately. And then all you need is to experience some event with all of the people. Thus you will be at the party. You will feel that you are a part of the community. Then you will no more need the activity on the forum, and checking "Unread posts" will be quite enough.

Completely understood. That's the thing, I feel like I've missed the one major event that would help me do that better (Remix War). ;P

PiercingSight

Postby X-Trav » 14 Oct 2011 12:28

PiercingSight wrote:
Andy Feelin wrote:I am usually very bad in finding my place in a company of people who already know each other, have some common memes, jokes, language, experience. This is how I understand your words about you being "late to the party". But believe me, this is just another lesson in magic of friendship. And somehow I learned it. You start communicating not with all the people at once but with someone in particular, privately. And then all you need is to experience some event with all of the people. Thus you will be at the party. You will feel that you are a part of the community. Then you will no more need the activity on the forum, and checking "Unread posts" will be quite enough.

Completely understood. That's the thing, I feel like I've missed the one major event that would help me do that better (Remix War). ;P

There are currently no remix wars till spring and there are no new official pony songs out.

Just wait... next pony song will cause this place to 'splode.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 12:36

X-Trav wrote:There are currently no remix wars till spring and there are no new official pony songs out.

Thing is I won't be here next spring. I'm leaving for two years starting January. And the only "official" pony song I've written/remixed was Fluttershy's lullaby.

PiercingSight

Postby X-Trav » 14 Oct 2011 12:37

PiercingSight wrote:
X-Trav wrote:There are currently no remix wars till spring and there are no new official pony songs out.

Thing is I won't be here next spring. I'm leaving for two years starting January. And the only "official" pony song I've written/remixed was Fluttershy's lullaby.

Then you have then next pony song still~

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 12:38

X-Trav wrote:Then you have then next pony song still~

:| depends on if I feel like remixing it or not.

PiercingSight

Postby Makkon » 14 Oct 2011 13:04

I completely understand, it's something that we've been trying to resolve for the last little while. As it turns out, it's the skypechats, IRC, and ToastBeard that created the cliques in the first place, which is a shame.
I'm as upset as you that there are so many topics that don't even have a reply yet, or very few. I find myself sometimes being the only one who responds to some threads. Most of my own threads have maybe 1 reply from someone.

But at the same time you got to understand, this is a pretty small community.

Come this Sunday, when Jackle has some time, we're going to start a new discussion about changes we're going to make on the forum, new things we're going to implement, and if needed a concise new set of rules, just so everyone's clear on them.

And about the remix war.... I see what you're hinting at. (:
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 13:14

Makkon wrote:I completely understand, it's something that we've been trying to resolve for the last little while. As it turns out, it's the skypechats, IRC, and ToastBeard that created the cliques in the first place, which is a shame.
I'm as upset as you that there are so many topics that don't even have a reply yet, or very few. I find myself sometimes being the only one who responds to some threads. Most of my own threads have maybe 1 reply from someone.

But at the same time you got to understand, this is a pretty small community.

Come this Sunday, when Jackle has some time, we're going to start a new discussion about changes we're going to make on the forum, new things we're going to implement, and if needed a concise new set of rules, just so everyone's clear on them.

And about the remix war.... I see what you're hinting at. (:

;)

Yeah, I'll try to be there Sunday. See how I can help.

PS: Oaks is coming to my stake for stake conference this Sunday, and I'm in the choir. :D

PiercingSight

Postby Makkon » 14 Oct 2011 13:21

PiercingSight wrote:Yeah, I'll try to be there Sunday. See how I can help.

PS: Oaks is coming to my stake for stake conference this Sunday, and I'm in the choir. :D

Ahhh, you lucky punk! )':
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Ropony » 14 Oct 2011 13:36

I've been trying not to really get into any of the cliques on here, I'm not too terribly active on these forums but i spend a lot of time in the IRC and every time someone new comes in i try to be very welcoming of them and check out whatever stuff they've made.
Ropony

Postby bartekko » 14 Oct 2011 13:55

Makkon wrote:And about the remix war.... I see what you're hinting at. (:

Of course! the mane reason this forum is dying out is lack of remix wars. the toastbeard compo's are very small events that are not advertised at all. each remix war was something like the summer sun celebration: something big and beautiful.
And I check the unread posts all the time, sometimes 10 times an hour, and it's a shame that we don't have content anymore.
We have everything that a big forum should have: three two admins, a moderator, trolls, crazy men (like me), and users ranging from rarely-posting orchestral design, to ultra-spamming Interrobang Pie, who posts more than makkon himself.

but we don't have CONTENT.
look for example at yesterday's studio B gift thread: it was to make content, it got a load of replies. but nothing (YET) has happened out of it, as we don't have anything set

I think that the main change should be a daily/weekly article on music production followed by discussion (i can see it now:
-Hey, but of course triangle LFO's are better than any other ones.
- triangle? that's not how you spell "sine")
bartekko

Postby Interrobang Pie » 14 Oct 2011 14:29

Getting into communities is difficult. Remember Remix War II? Yeah I was pretty shy and nervous about that, talking in the Google Docs chat. INTERROBANG PIE, SHY AND NERVOUS. And then I became the board's fucking annoying person. Things change, and things will change.

Makkon wrote:skypechats

They're open to any musician that wants in, they just have to get in touch. Of course, the thread regarding the massive Skype chat thing has long died now, so it's to no surprise that no-one knows about it. Also it may be a clique simply because I'm infamous for shouting people I don't recognise but once they brave that they're ready for ANYTHING.

Makkon wrote:IRC, and ToastBeard

Again, open house. Toastbeard is one of the first places I hear about new musicians, actually. Plus I've managed to get someone else involved with this round (ZIQ12, for the record). And if people keep bringing in other people... holy shit!!!!!!!!! COMMUNITY.

And as for things to do, there have been a few of projects mentioned that have settled down without a conclusion ever reached. Try here, here and here.

New Guys on average have settled in pretty fast, so I've seen. Just bide your time.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 14:45

bartekko wrote:I think that the main change should be a daily/weekly article on music production followed by discussion (i can see it now:
-Hey, but of course triangle LFO's are better than any other ones.
- triangle? that's not how you spell "sine")

Well, something like this has already been discussed in another thread about having an "Tutorial of the week" with people taking turns writing the tutorial.

PiercingSight

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 14 Oct 2011 18:51

PiercingSight wrote:Yeah... That thread wasn't my best moment, though I did apologize and fix my words back there. And I don't think Dr. D took it too harshly. :P

Ha, no, I've had far worse responses to music like that (in real life too, so you can imagine how they turn out when someone's like "NOOOOO NOT MUSIC DIE!!!")
So don't worry, we're cool!

PiercingSight wrote:Thing is I won't be here next spring. I'm leaving for two years starting January.

May I ask where you are off to? DON'T LEAVE US!!!

Also, yeah, I regularly listen to about 80% of what shows up in threads here...it's just most of it is a genre that I have no knowledge about, so all I can say is "this is nice", which I figure it's better to say nothing at all! I should fix that...
But as has been said, the skype chats are far more active than the forums and if people want in, as I-Pie said, they need to contact one of us!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby PinkieGuy » 14 Oct 2011 19:30

In regards to the lack of content, remix wars pretty much burnt me out, and i'd wager this is true for a few people. I pulled together 4 songs for that contest, and 2 more half finished songs that I don't want to touch with a 20 foot pole because i spent so long tweaking them.

After RWIV, i've had to spend time catching back up on real world commitments (I'm studying a double degree at uni that relates to music 0%), my band's EP being released and gigs including 2 band comps, and 21st parties. All of that combined has prevented me from working much, and I'd wager there are at least a few other people who are in the same boat.

So, I don't think the MLR forums are dying out, it just is what it is. A down time. At least personally, as soon as nov 18 hits, I have 3 months to work on nothing but music and ministry. I'll probably release about 3 pony related albums over that time :D
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 14 Oct 2011 20:14

I agree with 100% of what I-Pie said.

I feel it's more useful to have chatrooms be more active than forums, anyway. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Stars In Autumn » 14 Oct 2011 21:07

As far as the remix wars go, maybe we should consider just allowing one submission. That way it should help avoid a burnout. We can theme it still, or just do a normal remix war.

And as far as chats go, maybe we could consider embedding IRC into the forum, that's fairly common now-a-days. So you can see chat just by visiting the forum.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby PiercingSight » 14 Oct 2011 21:14

Jeffthestrider wrote:As far as the remix wars go, maybe we should consider just allowing one submission. That way it should help avoid a burnout. We can theme it still, or just do a normal remix war.

And as far as chats go, maybe we could consider embedding IRC into the forum, that's fairly common now-a-days. So you can see chat just by visiting the forum.

I like this idea. Well, the IRC embed thing that is.

PiercingSight

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 05:12

PinkieGuy wrote:In regards to the lack of content, remix wars pretty much burnt me out, and i'd wager this is true for a few people. I pulled together 4 songs for that contest, and 2 more half finished songs that I don't want to touch with a 20 foot pole because i spent so long tweaking them.

y u participate.

I don't think that a remix war is obligatory to participate in each and every round, you could just skip if you don't want to.
bartekko

Postby PinkieGuy » 15 Oct 2011 19:20

bartekko wrote:
PinkieGuy wrote:In regards to the lack of content, remix wars pretty much burnt me out, and i'd wager this is true for a few people. I pulled together 4 songs for that contest, and 2 more half finished songs that I don't want to touch with a 20 foot pole because i spent so long tweaking them.

y u participate.

I don't think that a remix war is obligatory to participate in each and every round, you could just skip if you don't want to.

I participated because I was driven to write music for the community that I love. Don't get me wrong, I had an awesome time writing this music, and the remix wars pushed me to improve my works and to work in styles that were completely unfamiliar to me.

I had a great time, and definately grew as an artist.

The thing is though, I'm a perfectionist, and I push too hard sometimes. I nearly kill myself on uni assignments trying to submit the best work possible, and as soon as they're done, I never want to touch the subject again. In recording a solo for my band, I once did 457 takes in a row until I got one that I liked. I just push things too far sometimes.

Tl;Dr: I loved the competition, but it knackered me.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Off-Topic Discussion