Welcome our New Moderator: JackleApp!

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Welcome our New Moderator: JackleApp!

Postby Makkon » 09 Oct 2011 22:57

Hey guys! I'd like everyone to welcome and congratulate JackleApp on being such an incredibly awesome guy, we've made him the newest member to the site administrative team as a Global Moderator. Most of you know him very personally and love him to bits as much as me, I'd like everyone to extend a hand in helping him fulfill his responsibilities and adhering to his advice.

JackleApp, you mega-stud, congratulations. :]
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Re: Welcome our New Moderator: JackleApp!

Postby Versilaryan » 09 Oct 2011 22:59

Awesome! Congrats, Jackle! ^.^
Versilaryan

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Oct 2011 23:07

Congrats, jackle! I'm sure MLR is safe in your... talons!

Remember what Spider-Man said about power and responsibility. "When you're powerful, fuck responsibility"
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby JackleApp » 09 Oct 2011 23:18

Thank you so much, Makkon! I really really appreciate it <3
I hope I can be as effective as I envision myself to be! All I know is that I'll try my damndest to be reasonable, fair, and approachable! (Remember, I'm always on Skype as "Jackle App" if you need me!) Hopefully I can make things run smoothly, efficiently, and encourage everyone to be friendly and helpful. Most importantly, I hope I can encourage everyone to remember why we're here in the first place: to enjoy being a part of this community. (Hopefully those goals aren't too lofty)

See y'all around <3
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Aussie » 10 Oct 2011 00:21

Uh-oh. There's mods now. Which pretty much means that we've been so annoying with our spam and thread derailing that Makkon can't handle us alone. :(

Nevertheless, congrats Jackle! Good luck on keeping us all in check. <3
Aussie

Postby Makkon » 10 Oct 2011 00:54

Aussie wrote:Uh-oh. There's mods now. Which pretty much means that we've been so annoying with our spam and thread derailing that Makkon can't handle us alone. :(

There's a lot of truth to what you just said.
Don't worry, we're aren't tightening security or anything, Jackle is reasonable and approachable, so you don't need to worry about that.

But we will start handing out warnings to spammers, 3 warnings resulting in a temp/perm ban depending on the severity. :p

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby PinkieGuy » 10 Oct 2011 01:59

Makkon wrote:
Aussie wrote:Uh-oh. There's mods now. Which pretty much means that we've been so annoying with our spam and thread derailing that Makkon can't handle us alone. :(

There's a lot of truth to what you just said.
Don't worry, we're aren't tightening security or anything, Jackle is reasonable and approachable, so you don't need to worry about that.

But we will start handing out warnings to spammers, 3 warnings resulting in a temp/perm ban depending on the severity. :p

Before this is implemented, can we have a 'spammers' code of conduct'? I know one exists already, but sometimes I struggle to work out when we're entering the realm of spam and when it's good natured community.

For example: today's You Know What Is Fun? thread was clearly spam, but how about You Just All My Blood? Is that harassment or good natured fun?
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Interrobang Pie » 10 Oct 2011 03:13

rip interrobang pie 15/07/94-10/10/11
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 10 Oct 2011 04:51

Interrobang Pie wrote:rip interrobang pie 15/07/94-10/10/11

It's ok we still love you I think
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Stars In Autumn » 10 Oct 2011 05:27

JackleApp wrote:Thank you so much, Makkon! I really really appreciate it <3
I hope I can be as effective as I envision myself to be! All I know is that I'll try my damndest to be reasonable, fair, and approachable! (Remember, I'm always on Skype as "Jackle App" if you need me!) Hopefully I can make things run smoothly, efficiently, and encourage everyone to be friendly and helpful. Most importantly, I hope I can encourage everyone to remember why we're here in the first place: to enjoy being a part of this community. (Hopefully those goals aren't too lofty)

See y'all around <3

Cool, man! We get to see your name in purple now.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby bartekko » 10 Oct 2011 08:10

PinkieGuy wrote:For example: today's You Know What Is Fun? thread was clearly spam, but how about You Just All My Blood? Is that harassment or good natured fun?

It was clearly interrobang pie + friends playing me off, keyboard cat style for writing stupid things on Jackle app's "I love everything" (and a bit more) I don't even remember writing about

period

p.s: congratulations, Jackle app
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby X-Trav » 10 Oct 2011 09:01

Congrats Jackle!
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Tephrax » 10 Oct 2011 10:01

Ha - HA! Con of the gratulations Jackle :)

NO PRESSURE NOW THE SITE IS IN YOUR HANDS.
Tephrax will never Give you up, let you down, run around or desert you.
http://soundcloud.com/tephrax/never-gonna-give-you-up-piano
YouTube!
Soundcloud
Tephrax

Postby Jamesse » 10 Oct 2011 10:08

Something to add to his resume so that more people will listen to pomfcast!

Jackle is a good choice for a mod! He is a generally well mannered person, and I think he is responsible enough to make good use of the position.Just don't ban I-Pie
I am Overkillius. Totally not an imposter at all.
Jamesse

Postby Makkon » 10 Oct 2011 11:10

PinkieGuy wrote:Before this is implemented, can we have a 'spammers' code of conduct'? I know one exists already, but sometimes I struggle to work out when we're entering the realm of spam and when it's good natured community.

For example: today's You Know What Is Fun? thread was clearly spam, but how about You Just All My Blood? Is that harassment or good natured fun?

You all have a conscience, or good sense; but if there's one thing I know, and that MLR has proven to me, is that when you get people in large groups they tend to do some things that they normally wouldn't do. The fact that it's the internet and the factor of anonymity magnifies this trait.

Here's the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I think you all have good enough sense to know when it's too far. So far he's taken it like a champ.
My main concern is these internally generated memes are counterproductive. We wanted this to be a community of progress, learning, and creativity. We want people to ask more questions, learn more new techniques, and make more good music. The main reason why the spam and memes are so bothersome to the site administration is because they completely undermine the entire reason why this forum was created in the first place. The result has been a clique-ish forum of internally generated memes, and an environment not entirely conducive to creativity and mutual growth. People haven't really utilized the resources provided as much as they could, nor has a lot of feedback been given to people who want it (just look at the massive list of threads created with 0 replies). We've scared away a lot of top-tier brony composers from this place because that's exactly what they saw. It's fine to have this as a cool hangout, but that's not what it was made for.

tl;dr
Remember why this site exists. You all have good enough sense to utilize this site as a resource and not just a place to chill with your brony-cronies.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby X-Trav » 10 Oct 2011 12:39

Makkon wrote:Many words about counter-productivity

When you put it that way, I feel bad.

But honestly I think the majority of memes and in-jokes strengthens us. Yes we may break the chat, and hijack a thread once in a while. But too much professionalism is bad. If we all carried an absolute sense of seriousness a lot of musicians wouldn't enjoy doing all this stuff: it wouldn't be as fun. While it's true we're supposed to be growing as musicians in our journey here, the fun times we have are a major incentive to keep this community going. We all serious-ed up during the remix war, and we all had fun taking a single Bartekko quote and remixing that. The latter didn't propel us backwards, it was a fun project that we all grew from. Serious or not, the moment you place a note in a song you are growing as a musician. We can never go backwards.

This last toastbeard we had many great entries, and we also had circuitfry singing about "Zorg's tight vagina". We were in awe of some songs, and we laughed at others. It's a balance. We're not here JUST to be elitists, we are here to make music, have a good time, love and tolerate, and make friends.

That's just how I see it, anyway...
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Makkon » 10 Oct 2011 12:57

X-Trav wrote:
Makkon wrote:Many words about counter-productivity

When you put it that way, I feel bad.

But honestly I think the majority of memes and in-jokes strengthens us. Yes we may break the chat, and hijack a thread once in a while. But too much professionalism is bad. If we all carried an absolute sense of seriousness a lot of musicians wouldn't enjoy doing all this stuff: it wouldn't be as fun. While it's true we're supposed to be growing as musicians in our journey here, the fun times we have are a major incentive to keep this community going. We all serious-ed up during the remix war, and we all had fun taking a single Bartekko quote and remixing that. The latter didn't propel us backwards, it was a fun project that we all grew from. Serious or not, the moment you place a note in a song you are growing as a musician. We can never go backwards.

This last toastbeard we had many great entries, and we also had circuitfry singing about "Zorg's tight vagina". We were in awe of some songs, and we laughed at others. It's a balance. We're not here JUST to be elitists, we are here to make music, have a good time, love and tolerate, and make friends.

That's just how I see it, anyway...

And I agree completely. But right now it's far off balance. I've interviewed several members of the forum via skype and those are the things they told me. Not enough genuine feedback, (still tons of threads with 0 replies! That's not cool!), and not enough resources being used. I love the jokes and hilarity (not the spam and derailing) but we have a problem of scaring people away and being really not all that useful; just a big, clique-ish hipster lounge. There's a reason AlexS and Eurobeat don't hang out here.

So we can all try to be a little more helpful and genuine. That's all I'm asking.

Yes we may break the chat, and hijack a thread once in a while.

I've merged a total of 16 threads with the official spam thread at this point, 5 of those were spambots. Now I'm just closing topics. That's not really once in a while. You guys are turning me into a grumpy old man at this rate. :[

Anyway, this thread wasn't supposed to be an excuse to rant, it's a congratulative post for JackleApp being awesome.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Overkillius » 10 Oct 2011 14:43

Makkon wrote:JackleApp being awesome.

Jackle App is awesome.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby MichaelA » 12 Oct 2011 18:09

Oh no... Jackle has power now... Now I can't be mean to him.
DAMN IT.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Whitetail » 12 Oct 2011 20:22

Awesome to see you on the staff Jackle, you deserve it!
Whitetail

Postby PokeBrony649 » 13 Oct 2011 00:13

Good luck! i should probably start listening to more of your music now. always love new songs.
Ponies are the best thing to happen to me since Pokemon and music.
PokeBrony649

Postby PokeBrony649 » 13 Oct 2011 00:57

also this i just noticed this what happened to NotACleverPony?
Ponies are the best thing to happen to me since Pokemon and music.
PokeBrony649

Postby Interrobang Pie » 13 Oct 2011 02:37

A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Stars In Autumn » 13 Oct 2011 03:56

Interrobang Pie wrote:tl;dr: ragequitted.

I can't believe how upset I am right now... This is pretty sad. He's one of the biggest reasons I got into making music in the first place.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 04:30

Make an awesome site

Quit because of community
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion