Let's Play Dwarf Fortress!

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Let's Play Dwarf Fortress!

Postby Senator Myth » 09 Oct 2011 14:09

For the lulz. A very difficult and complex game with a stunningly large capacity for hilarious situations. You, MLR, are going to play this game with me. It'll be fun, trust me.

So first, I built a world:

Then I selected a wonderful little spot for our fortress. I think "The ~ Hills" reflects MLR rather well, don't you? All of these names and places are randomly generated, by the way.

Then after consulting the Skypechat, I came up with a name for our fortress:
We decided on "The Sensual Music-Anus." Yep!

So yeah, basically, this what things look like when we immediately start the game.
It's winter, there's snow everywhere, all the water is frozen, and the dwaves are huddled around the wagon they came in for warmth, living on the crapton of barrels of food and booze they bought. Seriously, every dwarf consumes about twice as much booze as they do food. It's ridiculous. It's not even funny.

Our dwarves are going to starve or freeze or get eaten by wild animals (note that we embarked on a location that was labeled Untamed Wilds, one of the more dangerous possible types of locations in the game). SO WHAT DO!?!?

(probably dig a hole, but I guess I'll leave that up to you guys)

ALSO IMPORTANT:
We need to name the seven dwarves we came with. More will migrate to the fortress eventually, but I want to start making a fortress full of lunatic alcoholic dwarfs representing the lovely musicians of MLR. I named the expedition leader after myself, even though that really means almost nothing at this point in the game. We also have

2 Miners
A woodcutter
A mason
A farmer
A doctor

SO IF YOU WANT ONE OF THESE DWARVES TO BE NAMED AFTER YOU, POST NAOW. First come, first serve. also side-note: some of them are female, I guess, but that doesn't really mean anything at all. The profession is way more important.

WHAT DO!@?!?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Re: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress!

Postby WoodenToaster » 09 Oct 2011 14:11

I WANNA BE A FARMER. IT'S MY LIFE LONG DREAM.
WoodenToaster

Postby Artemus » 09 Oct 2011 14:13

This is like the only time I ever post here ever. I want to be a DOCTOR.
~"This piece, needs more Piano. Like two cubic tons of Piano, in a small pile just over there."~

Artemus

Postby X-Trav » 09 Oct 2011 14:13

I WANT THE DOCTOR

mason then...
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Interrobang Pie » 09 Oct 2011 14:15

MINING FOR gOLD PLEASE
Last edited by Interrobang Pie on 09 Oct 2011 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby X-Trav » 09 Oct 2011 14:17

I say our group cuts down all the trees and make them into a fort.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Overkillius » 09 Oct 2011 14:18

Sign me up for the one with highest chance of death!
If that is all equal then give me miner
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Versilaryan » 09 Oct 2011 14:27

I CLAIM WOODCUTTER
Versilaryan

Postby Overkillius » 09 Oct 2011 14:31

Alright! we have our team, and I-pie and I are mining buddies!

EDIT: ~~
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Senator Myth » 09 Oct 2011 15:35

Alright, there we go, we've got a team set and we're ready to go!

X-Trav wrote:I say our group cuts down all the trees and make them into a fort.

Okey dokey lokey. In the picture below you'll see me giving the order to chop down trees--the trees that are highlighted and darkened are those that have been designated for chopping.

And Versilaryan (little yellow guy right there) begins chopping down trees like a man posessed!

Everyone else just sort of watched in bemusement as Versilaryan starts destroying every tree in the immediate vicinity less than five minutes after their wagon drew to a halt. But that's okay, I shook my head and immediately ordered Overkillius and InterroBang Pie to dig a fucking hole for us to get out of this fucking cold. And they did just that:

This is the level immediately below the one we were just on. The map is 3D in Dwarf Fortress and pretty massive. Anyway, there's just a little curved hallway that should make defence a bit easier that leads to a little room, little more than a hole. I didn't get a good screenshot of it until later, WE MUST KEEP NARRATIVE FORM.

Since I clearly have my screenshoting priorties in order, I got another great shot of Versilaryan's excellent woodcutting progress:

See all those little log images where the trees used to be? You can also see that I gave the order to remove the wagon--break it down into its constituent parts. WE NEED MOAR WOOD DAMMIT

Since it would be ridiculous to leave the wood just kinda sitting out there, I commanded Overkillius and Interrobang Pie to dig out a little area for us to stockpile it for later use. Here they are doing that:

And here's everyone else rather happily carrying the wood to the stockpile:

They were also carrying all the food, booze, and other equipment from the wagon down to the little floor below. Everything was going very smoothly and I was feeling rather proud of my administrative skills and of the great abilties of my dwarffriends, when suddenly--

This one usually means either fire, a flood of water, or magma. Basically, it's never good news to get this message, so I zoomed in to Overkillius--

See the little blue dwarf in that underground lake? (you can see the hallway I dug out immediately to the north of it). That's Overkillius, and he somehow fell into the fucking lake. I don't really know how, he just thought it would be a good idea to flop himself into a lake full of frigid water while carrying stuff to a stockpile. And he's not a particularly good swimmer, either, that takes training in Dwarf Fortress.

So he wasn't wounded, but he was drowning. And he didn't know how to swim, so there was really only one way I could think of to get him out of there. I ordered Interrobang Pie to dig the poor fucker out:

(Hopefully you can tell the difference between the tiles to understand that the tan stuff is tiles that I've ordered to dig out, as well as the darker squares on the edges of the tan stuff. Yep)

So Interrobang Pie leaped into action to help his beloved friend, but only seconds later, the unthinkable happened:

Yeah we haven't even built a door for our fortress, and Overkillius managed to drown himself.

Now dwarves are rather autonomous creatures, so I did not order them to do this, but after I-Pie risked life and limb against the frigid flooding water to gain access to Overkillius's corpse, everyone else immediately went and took all his stuff off his body. The little yellow critter toward the center of the image is Versilaryan taking a quick break from his mad woodcutting spree to steal Overkillius's trousers:

See the kitty in the image? It's the thing in the lake that isn't a dead dwarf, a living dwarf, a shirt, or water. We brought two cats along because they breed insanely and are thus a decent source of food for the fortress.

I didn't get a screenshot of this, but after all his friends came by and took Overkillius's stuff, the cat lingered behind for a little while, keeping rather close to the corpse. It was almost touching, watching it seem to examine Overkillius's corpse sadly, as though saying its final farewells to a dwarf that had helped take care of it. Little quirks in the AI like this are one of the things that give this game its immense charm.

Here's where we stand: Versilaryan has managed to decimate almost every tree in a fifty-foot radius around the original camp, and they're in storage. The dwarves are underground, living in a little pit with stockpiles of supplies haphazardly placed all around with all their animals cramped in there. One of our dwarves has already managed to get himself killed.

OMGFIRSTLOOKATLOWERLEVEL

So what do we do?

...and no, we can't eat Overkillius. I don't think so at least.
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Circuitfry » 09 Oct 2011 15:39

I WILL IMMIGRATE IN THIS.

Y'ALL KNOW YOU NEED A NOBLE.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby X-Trav » 09 Oct 2011 15:40

I SAY WE MAKE TWENTY CAMPFIRES FOR THE NIGHT.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Overkillius » 09 Oct 2011 15:42

WHAT THE FUCK IS THE DOCTOR SUPPOSED TO DO?
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Interrobang Pie » 09 Oct 2011 15:46

Fire the doctor and the farmer - they're not doing shit.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby X-Trav » 09 Oct 2011 15:49

SEND THE DOCTOR TO HUNT FOR GOBLINS

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby WoodenToaster » 09 Oct 2011 16:06

Interrobang Pie wrote:Fire the doctor and the farmer - they're not doing shit.

I'm keeping you company ~~~
WoodenToaster

Postby Senator Myth » 09 Oct 2011 17:10

X-Trav wrote:SEND THE DOCTOR TO HUNT FOR GOBLINS

We can't actually do that since the goblins haven't showed up yet. But you raise a good point: we need to make this fortress more defensible, dammit.

So I ordered two chains to be set up near the entrance, and dogs to be put at the end of said chains. When set up in this way, no invisible enemy can sneak its way into the fort.

I took a good look at all the wood and shit Versilaryan had set up, then remembered that I was the carpenter for this group in addition to the expedition leader. I ordered my only miner that ever had a functioning brain to dig out some spots for some workshops so we could start making shit. And then there's me, Senator Myth, building my carpenter's workshop, so that I could make some stuff out of wood. Stuff essential to our fortress's survival.

Then I had Interrobang Pie to start digging. Masons are useless without stone. I got this message a lot:

I don't even know why I enabled aquifiers, they're just annoying and stupid. Basically, if I tried mining out that damp stone, my fortress would flood with water. An unlimited amount of water. It would actually eventually flood the entire map, IIRC, unless I stopped it via arcane and complex means.

So instead I have to have Interrobang Pie avoid damp stone like the plague and find a way down through the soil that doesn't cause my fortress to flood. It's annoying as hell, but we need stone, dammit, not soil.

So here he is, digging long hallways through the dry soil to avoid the wet soil (which you can't tell the difference between with the graphics alone)

Meanwhile Versilaryan decided to continue his programme of deforesting the fuck out of the entire place:

You can almost see the glint of hunger in his eyes, even though he's just a lousy sprite. It's almost terrifying.

Interrobang Pie wrote:Fire the doctor and the farmer - they're not doing shit.

The doctor is only needed when people get hurt. He does do things, but it's mostly just hauling wood to the stockpile and stuff, stuff that I don't actually take the time to describe.

The farmer, on the other hand, depends on YOU, Interrobang Pie. You need to dig out a spot for him to farm and make sure that it's irrigated and stuff. So that's exactly what I ordered you to do:

Then I told X-Trav to build himself a workshop for his masonry stuffs, for whenever Interrobang Pie finally finds some fucking stone for him to use.

Oh, and here's a refuse pile for all the little vermin that the cats kill.

I was beginning to get frustrated with Interrobang Pie's lousy mining job when suddenly I got the notification. At last, we had found STONE! We can now make all kinds of more awesome stuff than we can with wood, and stone is generally more plentiful, once you actually find it.

Immediately after finding the stone, he curled up and fell asleep. He's the little Z you see in the next picture. It was kind of cute, actually.

It's usually much easier to find stone. Why did I enable aquifiers I"m so stupid gah.

Here's what things look like now:

We finally have some hatch covers over the entrance to our fort! yay basic defense

Waiting for the water to dry so that Glaze can get up off his fat lazy ass and get to farming. We use what he farms to make booze, and if the fortress runs out of booze... I don't even want to think of what might happen.

Overkillius's corpse. Yep.

Middle level, disorganized as fuck. That other workshop is a butchery, and we need to choose someone to be our butcher. GET ON THAT DWARFFRIENDS. We have too many animals running around shitting in our fortress, and we should probably kill some of the bigger ones before they starve to death.

Tunnels underneath, winding to avoid fortflooding and obtain magma. Sleeping I-Pie and a kitty.

okay so WHAT DO

(this will be the last one for today guys, homework needs to be done)
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Interrobang Pie » 09 Oct 2011 17:15

Make an epic FRACTAL LABYRINTH (this should make Hertz toss around in his sleep. Ghahahahaa).
Interrobang Pie

Postby Aussie » 09 Oct 2011 19:10

Do you have to choose someone already in the team to be a butcher, or do you make someone new? If the latter, I'll totally get in on this. :D

Also, this site is specifically intended for image LPs, so you may wanna give it a try!
Aussie

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 09 Oct 2011 19:20

I have no idea what's going on...
But if you're still taking names, you can make me whoever, miner, cow, it's all good! Oh and please! :P
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Interrobang Pie » 10 Oct 2011 14:13

[21:05:55] Interrobang Pie: DIG MOER
[21:05:56] Interrobang Pie: JUST DIG
[21:05:57] Interrobang Pie: DIIIIIG
[21:05:59] Interrobang Pie: DIIIIIIIG
[21:06:00] Interrobang Pie: DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG

[21:10:20] Interrobang Pie: the next dwarf is called makkon
Interrobang Pie

Return to Off-Topic Discussion