Touhou

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Touhou

Postby Kagetori » 02 Jul 2012 07:47

How has this topic not been made yet? I mean, sorry if there is one and I just seem like an obnoxious Tohofag right now, but I searched and couldn't find it (or them).

Anyways, to anyone who knows what it is, what do you think of it? And the fans of it?
I myself, think it's pretty great, and it's amazing how many groups there are who remake music from it, I mean literally, thousands of circles dedicated to making Touhou arranges. I wonder if MLP:FiM will ever make it even half as far as that... o_o. I've also lol'd at some of the similarities people point out between the two things. I'd say MLP is like a really early state Touhou, only more spread out rather than hidden.

What is your favorite music circle of Touhou? It's hard for me to choose one favorite, but my top three would be Demetori, IZMIZM, and Foreground Eclipse.

Demetori is not only my favorite metal circle, but my favorite metal band in general, and it's only two guys *_*; <Metal>

IZMIZM, the first time I ever heard dnb and was introduced to the first GOOD dubstep I had ever heard; <DnB>

Foreground Eclipse is one of the few screamo groups I'd ever listen to, and their music is just... well, really good; <Japanese><Screamo>

Here's a list of some Touhou Doujin Circles listed on Touhou Wiki just cus'; http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Doujin_circles

What would your favorite characters be? I can't help to put pony comparisons...
My favorite character in Touhou is Marisa Kirisame, and the pony who reminds me of her is Rainbow Dash, therefore, Rainbow Dash is my favorite pony.
The picture below shows pretty great pairing, Patchouli is a witch who lives in a huge library, Suika is the cutesy party Oni who practically only knows partying, Satori lives away from everyone and is great with animals, the list goes on. I've also gotta point out, Cirno = Derpy
Oh, and this because I felt like I just had to (although I don't agree 100% =T)-
Welp, that pretty much sums up this "Topic". Fore everyone who doesn't know what Touhou is and want's to know, I made this video about a year ago or so, which explains Touhou better than almost anything else -
Kagetori

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Touhou

Postby ÜberTriangle » 02 Jul 2012 08:00

This game is very hard. I can't get past few levels.
ÜberTriangle

Postby K3WRO » 02 Jul 2012 08:36

ÜberTriangle wrote:This game is very hard. I can't get past few levels.

This

But It's actually a pretty nice game, with a fan-base and all that, It's quite popular over here

If my pc stops acting up, I'll just get ALL the games
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby inkBot » 02 Jul 2012 09:08

Actual discs :3
How many geek points do I receive?

I don't really keep up with the Touhou "scene" per say. I just enjoy the music and games whenever I stumble over them. But if I'd have to pick favorites.

IOSYS

CYTOKINE

TAMusic

As for characters, Sakuya. Not sure what pony she would liken to though...
inkBot

Postby Legion » 02 Jul 2012 11:46

I DON'T UNDERSTAND

WHAT IS TOUHOU, AND WHY AM I ALWAYS HEARING ABOUT IT
Legion

Postby LFP » 02 Jul 2012 11:59

legion2190 wrote:I DON'T UNDERSTAND

THIS. CANTERLOCK FTW
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Whitetail » 02 Jul 2012 13:14

It looks like a fun (and challenging to the point where playing it is an exercise in self hatred) game, I tend to love brutally difficult things. And the soundtrack for the most part sounds rather well composed, I wish the production value was a little better with some of those virtual instruments but hey it's not a huge complaint I guess, and I'd consider remixing a few tracks for fun sometime.

That being said I don't get the hype behind it. I just don't, I guess it must be the same way others look at the brony community who aren't violently opposed to ponies, but the fandom behind it just seems rather silly to me how far they take it.

Also why aren't there any males in the game period from what I've seen >.>
If I'm wrong go ahead and correct me (I mean like 90% of anyone in FiM is female, but there are males to be found there) but from what I've seen every single character in the game is what appears to be a pre-teen/teenage girl - Loli obsession's always been something that's rather wierded me out.
Whitetail

Postby Kagetori » 02 Jul 2012 14:09

Whitetail wrote:It looks like a fun (and challenging to the point where playing it is an exercise in self hatred) game, I tend to love brutally difficult things. And the soundtrack for the most part sounds rather well composed, I wish the production value was a little better with some of those virtual instruments but hey it's not a huge complaint I guess, and I'd consider remixing a few tracks for fun sometime.

That being said I don't get the hype behind it. I just don't, I guess it must be the same way others look at the brony community who aren't violently opposed to ponies, but the fandom behind it just seems rather silly to me how far they take it.

Also why aren't there any males in the game period from what I've seen >.>
If I'm wrong go ahead and correct me (I mean like 90% of anyone in FiM is female, but there are males to be found there) but from what I've seen every single character in the game is what appears to be a pre-teen/teenage girl - Loli obsession's always been something that's rather wierded me out.

Rinnosuke, Unzan, Genji, Youmu's father who's name I cant remember and Shingyoku are male characters. I think there's another but I can't remember if there is, two of them don't come out in the game, but are still all official.

Also, all the human characters are at least 15 or older, while all the other non-humans are at least 100, and although most people say every character is a loli, I would probably be one of the few to disagree, although I guess it's mostly because ZUN can't draw breasts and isn't good at drawing in general (he literally said that's why the characters are lolis but I don't remember where I read it). There are actually a lot of characters though who don't look like at all like a "pre-teen/teenager" IMO though such as Yukari, Yuka, Yuugi, Yuyuko, Komachi, Bakuyren, etc. but they still are originally drawn... flat chested 7_7.

legion2190 wrote:I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Video at bottom of OP.
Kagetori

Postby prettiestPony » 02 Jul 2012 16:54

Weird, thought I replied to this already, maybe the forum eated it.

Touhou seems pretty neat, I'm pretty sure I've seen screenshots or vids that featured it at some point or another, though I didn't know what it was. This series is what "Bad Apple!!" is from, right?

I DLed the first (or 6th, I guess) trial and poked around with it for a while; how do you configure the controls? I can't figure out how to interact with the "key config" screen under options, nothing I try seems to change anything. Hmm, maybe that's because it's a trial, though?
prettiestPony

Postby Kagetori » 03 Jul 2012 10:08

prettiestPony wrote:Weird, thought I replied to this already, maybe the forum eated it.

Touhou seems pretty neat, I'm pretty sure I've seen screenshots or vids that featured it at some point or another, though I didn't know what it was. This series is what "Bad Apple!!" is from, right?

I DLed the first (or 6th, I guess) trial and poked around with it for a while; how do you configure the controls? I can't figure out how to interact with the "key config" screen under options, nothing I try seems to change anything. Hmm, maybe that's because it's a trial, though?

You just select the button thingy, then press the button you want whatever action to do with. I haven't played the trial, but maybe it should be re-installed or something? I dunno, but that's the only thing I can think of. I always use a gamepad.
Kagetori

Postby StormWolf » 03 Jul 2012 23:27

Ooh yes, I bloody love Touhou. The games are so hard, but fun! (I still haven't beaten one not on easy yet T_T). I only recently got into it, and in a way, I actually got into it through ponies! It has HertzDevil's chiptune "Cirno Invades Equestria" that really got me curious and started to get me into it in the first place.

What do I think of it? Well, it's a fantastic game with great music and absolutely adorable characters~ Oh yeah and it never fails to amaze me that the games were all made by one person... God damn.
The fanbase is really cool too, like, wow, Japanese doujin groups have too much time on their hands, but the stuff they make is really cool!
The music is really inspiring, I just love some of the riffs ZUN can come up with, and how the fans remix and add silly lyrics and such, and the vast amount of music is amazing. Like, I don't think it's even possible to listen to every. single. Touhou fanmusic out there. Then again, that's probably going to be the same for MLP!

I'd say my favourite doujin music groups are IOSYS, Silver Forest and Xi-on, but I really like many others too.
The first doujin song I really properly heard was probably IOSYS's "Cirno's Perfect Maths Class", and I absolutely loved it. (Dat delicious sawtooth lead oh goshhhhh)

Another one I like is Silver Forest's Kero 9 Destiny, the vocalist has an adorable voice.

I also really like Xi-on's Cosmic mind

The combination of the eurobeaty dancey stuff with J-metal is like, such an excellent combination, it's such a great idea!

As for my favourite character, heh, I still don't really know yet, but it's probably like, Reisen, Marisa or Flandre or something. Not sure how they'd compare to ponies (Reisen could be Angel????? hehehe)

Oh yeah, and I find the similarities between MLP and Touhou pretty amusing. Like, not just the things themselves, but they both have crazy fanbases who make so much fan content >___>
Oh yes, and Cirno = Derpy, yes, I agree.
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby prettiestPony » 04 Jul 2012 02:00

So, I tried a few trials, and they're fun--fun enough for me to look into purchasing them... but $20-$30 each? For a game with only 5-6 stages?! I dunno, that's a little (a lot) hard to swallow, for me.
prettiestPony

Postby K3WRO » 04 Jul 2012 06:42

I felt like it

K3WRO

Postby Overkillius » 05 Jul 2012 02:30

I can beat a few of the games on easy so far, and I am coming close on normal! I suck!

As far as the music goes, I actually haven't seen too much of it unfortunately. I really like the music from the game and a lot of the remixes too. It is indeed pretty amazing!

This is probably my favorite song so far... for a number of reisens EHEHEHEHEHEHEHE
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Freewave » 05 Jul 2012 08:21

Very interesting; guess i didn't know it was game (thought it might be a manga or a show) and that there was a fanbase making music for it like us bronies do for our female-character led show. Seems like there's a natural rule 34 tie-in being what it is (it's from Japan so reflects that cultures interests). Sounds like a win-win for those into Japanese manga and creative reflections.

Any recommendation on what musicians fromtheir scene to look out for? Obviously we have a few upper tier artists that we can easily namecheck and recommend and I'm wondering who they may have...
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Kagetori » 05 Jul 2012 10:37

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Very interesting; guess i didn't know it was game (thought it might be a manga or a show) and that there was a fanbase making music for it like us bronies do for our female-character led show. Seems like there's a natural rule 34 tie-in being what it is (it's from Japan so reflects that cultures interests). Sounds like a win-win for those into Japanese manga and creative reflections.

Any recommendation on what musicians fromtheir scene to look out for? Obviously we have a few upper tier artists that we can easily namecheck and recommend and I'm wondering who they may have...

IOSYS is the biggest most well known circle, although I don't like their "cutsey parody" stuff, their metal section is pretty great. Alstroemeria Records is the second biggest, but it's probably mostly just for their music video of Bad Apple, I don't really like most of their stuff either. Those two are like, upper-upper tier. I mean, they aren't that great IMO, but they're insanely popular. So popular, that Alstromeria Record's Bad Apple music video got onto CNN (although every so called fact that had to do with Touhou was horribly wrong).

Upper tier circles that are good I would say are;
Demetori, CROW'SCLAW, Magnum Opus, Soundholic, Iron Attack, Xi-on, Mohican Sandbag, Swingholic,

Eh, I dunnolol, you can just try googling; "Touhou *X Genre* Circles", there are a lot, even for just the upper tiers.
Last edited by Kagetori on 05 Jul 2012 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Kagetori

Postby Yelling At Cats » 05 Jul 2012 11:22

Oh boy, I encountered a lot of Touhou fans learning Jap, and let me tell you, this game is fucking hard. But I love it regardless if it makes me pull out my hair in a venomous rage because I can't get past some levels.
#EverfreeNW2012
Yelling At Cats

Postby TheSyrethClan » 06 Jul 2012 04:44

Last edited by TheSyrethClan on 29 Feb 2020 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
TheSyrethClan

Postby Mingus » 06 Jul 2012 08:43

Beating Touhou games on Normal is now starting to become easier for me, haha. Barely making my way through Hard still. But yeah, I've been in the Touhou fandom for a long time.
I don't really pay attention much to the circles. I just really like the game music. =] I've heard some stuff from dBu, Demetori, and IOSYS but that's pretty much it.
Mingus = Echelon; too lazy to request a name change on here =P
A Soundcloud? Why not! | Youtube too!
Mingus

Postby Raddons » 09 Jul 2012 01:51

No more Touhou.

EVER AGAIN

(I'm talking about you Stormwolf) :P
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby StormWolf » 09 Jul 2012 04:09

Cloud wrote:No more Touhou.

EVER AGAIN

(I'm talking about you Stormwolf) :P

HAHAHAHAHA OH MY GOD THAT WAS HORRIBLE
RIP my tumblr
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby K3WRO » 09 Jul 2012 07:10

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Very interesting; guess i didn't know it was game (thought it might be a manga or a show)

I thought of the same thing for the first 2 days after hearing it! My friends talk about it a-lot, believe it or not, the Touhou fanbase is almost like the MLP:FiM fanbase in Japan, well, over the internet at least

K3WRO

Postby Kagetori » 13 Jul 2012 21:59

Just putting this WIP here because I don't know where else to put Touhou Pony animations on the internet (other than a certain pony thread on a certain Touhou site, which'll be next).

Kagetori

Postby Sai » 15 Jul 2012 14:39

>Touhou thread
Yesyesyes. :D
I love these games. I spend freaking ages going through the extra stages, but I've still only ever beaten two of them...

inkBot wrote:TAMusic

THANK YOU. I love TAMusic, I had no idea he (they?) did a Luna Dial arrangement.

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Any recommendation on what musicians fromtheir scene to look out for? Obviously we have a few upper tier artists that we can easily namecheck and recommend and I'm wondering who they may have...

I have a few (if this is still relevant...). I'll try and pick out an example for them...

Innocent Key do some nice metal/vocal arranges. Eternity Vow <symphonic metal, I guess>(Original: Alice in Wonderland, The Grimoire of Alice).

TAMusic for predominantly classical arranges (violin and piano solos/duets). Sky's Tragic Love Song (Original: City of Sky Flowers)

TatshMusicCircle do some metal vocal and non-vocal pieces. Madness Imager <metal, non-vocal> (Original: Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion).
Also, the only flamenco guitar touhou arrange I've ever heard. Paraguas (Original: Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever).

Oriens do some VERY nice orchestral versions. Bloom nobly, cherry blossoms of Sumizome ~ Border of Life.

Golden City Factory. To be honest, I haven't heard a lot from this one, but they do the best vocal arrangement of "Septet for the Dead Princess" I've heard, and I just kinda wanted to throw it out there: 夜明けの紅い月 - Interview with Scarlet -.
I just love the vocals at the chorus so much.

Oh, and here's a thing for the sake of ponies:
(EDIT: I don't think the image is loading, so here.)
Sai

Postby Raddons » 22 Jul 2012 23:25

So... today... I spent about half of my time playing Highly Responsive to Prayers.

My GOD, if this gets me addicted, I'm blaming this thread.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion