Show us your workshop/studio!

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Show us your workshop/studio!

Postby nOk » 11 Feb 2013 12:33

the4thImpulse wrote:I don't know if your into those kinds of synths but I know I will be picking one up hopefully this summer.

Man... I saw an ms2000b in a pawnshop going for $150 and it was in perfect condition. I went in the next day to get it, but it had already sold. In synth terms that's cheap as hell but GOD why do they have to be so freaking expensive?! Being an unemployed synth lover is torture. Pure. Utter. Torture.
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Postby Acsii » 11 Feb 2013 13:45

God I wish I had room for a modular
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Icky » 11 Feb 2013 14:14

the4thImpulse wrote:
Icky wrote:I was actually thinking of getting one of those cheap entry level synths. Just for messing around with. For serious stuff I prefer my VSTs (although I wouldn't mind a Virus TI).

My experience has been backwards from that, entry level synths usually can be easily replaced by soft synths. Its the more professional/unique ones that have their own 'sound' (or analog synths) and can not be easily replaced with software. Although just having a hardware synth, of any kind, for the physical controls can be a lot of fun.

Yeah I see what you mean. For me a synth should be a cool compact device to jam on and mess around with. Something like a microkorg, micron or mininova. Not like I would mind having a more expensive bigger synth but I have no real need for a hardware synth so I can't really allow myself to spent all that much on one :lol:
Icky

Postby MisterJayBrown » 11 Feb 2013 19:55

Man, I love all those studios. As someone too young to move out, and still from a poor family, I can show you my entire room, even. It's also my studio. And the corner of the kitchen. Also the keyboard's not mine ;_;
I have ties, I have headphones that may or may not belong to my school, I have cake in a mug - I've got it all! Well, other than resolution, as I was using a webcam, which you can see on the screen. Oh, and that computer under the desk isn't even the one being used. I just have it. Cause #YOLO. :3
Figured I should touch up my post a bit, show you the beauty that is my FL Studio background. Maybe tomorrow I'll send a picture of the studio at my school, where there's a MIDI keyboard, as well as the home of these headphones.
MisterJayBrown

Postby nOk » 11 Feb 2013 22:47

Sick bowl of dust, man.

Wait, then who's keyboard is that then? Maybe it should be illegitimately obtained as well
nOk

Postby MisterJayBrown » 11 Feb 2013 23:13

nOk wrote:Sick bowl of dust, man.

Wait, then who's keyboard is that then? Maybe it should be illegitimately obtained as well

It's not even pressure-sensitive, which I'd prefer, really.
It's my brother's keyboard. He doesn't really use it anymore now though, cause he's kind of a poor 20 year old that's in a metal band. Not much room for piano there.
MisterJayBrown

Postby JayB » 12 Feb 2013 16:40

the4thImpulse wrote:
JayBrony wrote:Korg MS2000. Marry me. Now. :P

As long as I can use that V-synth :lol:
Have you seen the new MS-20 reissue? I don't know if your into those kinds of synths but I know I will be picking on up hopefully this summer.

I think I can allow that. xD

I just looked up the MS-20 mini. I know the MS-20 only from the Legacy Collection but that one definitely seems interesting. aNd the price is pretty attractive... Gotta make a second expansion for the reFX Nexus to afford it. :roll:
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby cyrricky » 12 Feb 2013 16:54

JayBrony wrote:I just looked up the MS-20 mini. I know the MS-20 only from the Legacy Collection but that one definitely seems interesting. aNd the price is pretty attractive... Gotta make a second expansion for the reFX Nexus to afford it. :roll:

If you're thinking of getting the MS-20 Mini I might recommend the Artuia Minibrute instead.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby the4thImpulse » 12 Feb 2013 18:57

cyrricky wrote:
JayBrony wrote:I just looked up the MS-20 mini. I know the MS-20 only from the Legacy Collection but that one definitely seems interesting. aNd the price is pretty attractive... Gotta make a second expansion for the reFX Nexus to afford it. :roll:

If you're thinking of getting the MS-20 Mini I might recommend the Artuia Minibrute instead.

Minibrute is great, I've played around a bunch at a local music shop, I enjoyed it, But I want the MS20 for the modular feel as well as that filter. I know moog is also releasing a new analog synth of a similar type (monophonic, 2 VCO, ect..) but at ~$1K.

So many synths, so little time.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby MisterJayBrown » 12 Feb 2013 19:50

TheBronyChip wrote:
MisterJayBrown wrote:
nOk wrote:he's kind of a poor 20 year old that's in a metal band. Not much room for piano there.

i play piano in a metal band (no joke)

My main point was the whole 'poor' thing, but you've got a good point. And I must admit I like piano in metal songs, if it goes well. Of course, that's cause I'm a sucker for piano ;D
MisterJayBrown

Postby nOk » 13 Feb 2013 09:50

Let's try to keep on track here. I think we should make a synth thread to continue this converstation. Ah well!
Regarding my studio desk being satan in furniture form as well as it being in a corner, I've taken up building a new studio desk! More about that here
nOk

Postby MisterJayBrown » 13 Feb 2013 13:05

Sorry about the nearly instant update, but this is the section in school that's kinda nice to use. http://imgur.com/a/5LNzN
MisterJayBrown

Postby Alycs » 13 Feb 2013 13:22

What school do you go to?! The local schools around here can't even afford to upgrade to Windows 7 or get Recorders for their students from what I've heard.

Also, do you really leave that face as the background for FL studio at school? xD
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby MisterJayBrown » 13 Feb 2013 15:15

Alycs wrote:What school do you go to?! The local schools around here can't even afford to upgrade to Windows 7 or get Recorders for their students from what I've heard.

Also, do you really leave that face as the background for FL studio at school? xD

It's like...rural Canada too, if that makes it better yet. And regarding that face - oh yes. We also went through Blender and BumpMap and made a 3D model of it, and then printed it off. You can see his face immortalized in plastic XD
MisterJayBrown

Postby Acsii » 13 Feb 2013 16:57

so my school just built a conference teaching studio like there's a proper film set up and everything
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby FLAOFEI » 15 Feb 2013 09:01

Biggest desk in IKEA and this is how I use my new found space. I'm getting a 27" screen that's going up on the wall, so I might have to do a lot of redecorating to fit stuff :/
I have some stuff that's not on my desk that relate to music, like a drumkit in the next room, and a condenser microphone.

I've heard a lot about not putting stuff in corners cause bass collects there. Is this anything I should pay much attention to and move stuff? And I might have to put them up in the roof just to fit stuff. Is that acoustically a bad idea?
(Probably getting a pair of smaller monitors later on btw
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby colortwelve » 18 Feb 2013 00:18

Speakers are custom made by my mastering engineer friend, subwoofer and amp are both old and probably discontinued but still work, synth to the left is a Roland JP-8000 I'm borrowing.

Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Stakeout Punch » 18 Feb 2013 10:43

Alrighty. I'd say my space is alright, but I would love having more controllers (and a program that can use them...)

First off, my speakers. The top "monitors" are JBL Sudio Series S36s but the name is very misleading. They murk up bass most of the time and are colored towards the mid range. EDIT: I Know they aren't facing very well in the picture, I moved them when I dusted and never put them back. The lovely towers they are sitting on are Polk Audio SDA IIs that are more of a Hi-Fi system than a studio system. Just in case anyone isn't familiar with those vintage bass cannons, that isn't a sub. It's a radiator.

Here's a panoramic of my "desk." You can see my bed above it and the Rockband Drum Set. It plugs into the computer using USB but is converted to trigger midi using LoopBe1 and RB2Midi. You can also see my ancient Sony amp sitting on those bins under the desk. Those are Sennheiser HD570s hanging off the desk. The keyboard is a Casio WK-6500. I could probably use it alone to make a song but I'm too lazy.

Close up of two of my screens (Triple monitors ftw!). They are Dell, but I have no idea the model. They are 1280x1024 though. They also double as my USB hub, everything plugs into them so that I can run one USB cord to my laptop (also kinda needed since it only has 3 ports on it). Inb4 anyone "The monitor hubs are causing latency!!!1!!" Nope. FL will use the drumset run through them with zero latency, LMMS just sucks latency-wise. ALSO, 53F DEGREES. 53. NopeNopeNope

Last is one of my two real instruments (Not counting the keyboard). It's a 69-70 Pearl Presidential or something. It still has some of the original heads (I inherited it). It needs new heads SOO bad, I never play on it it sounds so bad. I just use the RB set to keep motor rhythm skill intact. I also play trumpet, but my Strad is downstairs and I'm too lazy to get it.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby Diss Order » 18 Feb 2013 17:53

The most interesting corner of my room right now. :P

New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Stakeout Punch » 18 Feb 2013 18:16

Diss Order wrote:stuffz

We have the same Dell monitors! Quick! What does your chair look like?
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby Acsii » 18 Feb 2013 18:40

What mic is that?
Acsii

Postby Ricky Denzel » 19 Feb 2013 07:55

Here's mine. IN VIDEO!
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Diss Order » 19 Feb 2013 11:54

ΛCSII wrote:What mic is that?

Samson C01 with a shockmount, popfilter and a Røde desktop arm mount. :)
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby JSynth » 19 Feb 2013 12:26

My messy studio:

And a close up

https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Alycs » 19 Feb 2013 18:53

If I tried to call this little corner I make music in a studio I'm pretty sure the irony with which I said so could suffocate most small mammals.

Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion