--Introduction Thread-- Newbies Please Use This Thread First

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: --Introduction Thread--

Postby SpaceAnomaly » 15 Oct 2011 00:21

Hello guys,
I've been lurking around for a while and it's a fascinating place indeed.
My name is Gabriel, I'm 19, currently studying Mechanical Engineering & Material Science and my favorite pony is __. I love them all but Rarity is still my favorite, oh my little marshmallow queen. :P

I enjoy music quite a lot but find it extremely hard to develop any musical skills so I mostly just appreciate it. I know almost nothing about music composition but I have a special affinity for orchestral music and cellos, they make such beautiful sounds.

I would not have enjoyed being a brony as much if it wasn't for the phenomenal music you guys have created. Seriously, some of that stuff is really inspiring. So far I've made one attempt at making a song using my iPad and the GarageBand app (Thank you Makkon for bringing me back on track with your almighty comment :) ). I've also been trying to find a proper DAW for me because something about FL Studio 10's interface doesn't go well with me, maybe you guys have some suggestions. I really want to improve and learn the nuts and bolts of music composition and whatever DAW I stick to. I know it won't compare to actually studying but if you guys have any tutorials or readings, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone and I hope this community continues to flourish!
SpaceAnomaly

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 15 Oct 2011 01:03

SpaceAnomaly wrote:using my iPad and the GarageBand app

Holy Celestia! This was on the Garageband App for iPads??? Consider yourself subbed! Also, welcome to the forum!!!

*edit* OH, you're a lover of orchestral and cellos! We're going to be good friends...if you want any advice on music theory or orchestration or composition in general, I'm happy to answer anything!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Stars In Autumn » 15 Oct 2011 04:09

SpaceAnomaly wrote:Hello guys,
I've been lurking around for a while and it's a fascinating place indeed.
My name is Gabriel, I'm 19, currently studying Mechanical Engineering & Material Science and my favorite pony is __. I love them all but Rarity is still my favorite, oh my little marshmallow queen. :P

I enjoy music quite a lot but find it extremely hard to develop any musical skills so I mostly just appreciate it. I know almost nothing about music composition but I have a special affinity for orchestral music and cellos, they make such beautiful sounds.

I would not have enjoyed being a brony as much if it wasn't for the phenomenal music you guys have created. Seriously, some of that stuff is really inspiring. So far I've made one attempt at making a song using my iPad and the GarageBand app (Thank you Makkon for bringing me back on track with your almighty comment :) ). I've also been trying to find a proper DAW for me because something about FL Studio 10's interface doesn't go well with me, maybe you guys have some suggestions. I really want to improve and learn the nuts and bolts of music composition and whatever DAW I stick to. I know it won't compare to actually studying but if you guys have any tutorials or readings, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone and I hope this community continues to flourish!

Hello and welcome! First of all, awesome song! I would not of guessed it was your first. If you're looking for other DAWs, you might try Cubase or Abelton Live. Both are pretty solid DAWs from what I hear. Makkon knows a lot more about Cubase.

I know quite a bit about FL Studio, so if you stick with that I can help you. I also have a bit of experience with Kontakt, if you ever pick that up. An amazing sound library player, especially for orchestral pieces and soundtracks.

Welcome again and I can't wait to hear more of your stuff!
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby SpaceAnomaly » 15 Oct 2011 12:04

Dr_Dissonance wrote: OH, you're a lover of orchestral and cellos! We're going to be good friends...if you want any advice on music theory or orchestration or composition in general, I'm happy to answer anything!

Yay! I played the cello for one year and haven't been able to continue, they are so expensive but so gooood.

If you have something that I can start with, like something to read or an introduction that would be nice!

Jeffthestrider wrote:

I shall give those a try! And thank you, I'll keep that in mind :D
SpaceAnomaly

Postby Makkon » 15 Oct 2011 14:02

Hey SpaceAnomaly! Welcome to the forums, man! I enjoyed the track you posted on youtube, I seriously hope to hear more from you, man. (:
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Circuitfry » 15 Oct 2011 15:02

Hi Spacey! <3

Gosh, cello sounds so cool.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Tephnos » 15 Oct 2011 15:12

Hey guys.

18 year old Scot from Scottyland here. Guess you can say I'm your average run of the mill non creative guy (by that I mean I can appreciate, but not quite create!). However, I am looking to change that! My main interests have always been to do with things like astronomy, physics and the greater unknown that we simply cannot comprehend through our methods of science yet. Always had a huge passion for that stuff (especially more the theoretical/written explanation side, the math side quite frankly blows my mind! :D).

Since becoming a 'brony' I've had a huge inspiration in order to better my drawing and music skills (As Makkon would know, he's probably thinking "Oh man, it's the guy that nailed me to the wall with hundreds of questions!"). I've come from no real background in either, except from mandatory art classes in high school and the like, so I can at least draw something without it looking like I just massacred the paper for looking at me funny, but apart from that never drew in my spare time. Until now, at least.

On the music side of things, I am completely 100% ignorant to the inner workings of creating and composing music, and general music theory. Learning all that is going to be hard, but hearing the stuff you guys produce, worth it. With all the listening I do, it's just bad manners not to give something back, and have fun doing it. Ever since I began listening to stuff on the Newgrounds Audio portal a few years back, I had always wanted to try my hand at making music... just the thought of knowing absolutely zero held me back from doing it then. Now, I hope to change that. :p

As for my interests in music? To be honest I can listen to and appreciate almost anything. The only genre I tend to dislike songs from most is heavy death metal type stuff. Other than that, trance, electronic, classical, ect. I can appreciate them all and enjoy them.

And no, I don't wear a kilt.

As for finding out about this place, I heard mention of an MLR a few times while I was looking at all the sweet music that you guys have made on youtube. Some bad comments, some good comments. I'm hoping my experience will be pleasant and help me to progress my 'germinating' skills. :D
Tephnos

Postby Stars In Autumn » 15 Oct 2011 16:21

Celestial Nostos wrote:Hey guys.

Hello and welcome!

Don't worry about not having much experience, we all started there at one point or another! I'd recommend learning a bit about music theory, mostly about scales and chord progression. If your interests lie with both classical and orchestral, I'd pick up a DAW like FL Studio, Cubase, or Ableton Live. There are tons of beginner tutorials online and we here would love to help you with any questions.

I use FL Studio and have made both electronic and orchestral pieces before, so I can if you need any. Just give me a PM!

Welcome again!
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 16:36

Jeffthestrider wrote: If your interests lie with both classical and orchestral, I'd pick up a DAW like FL Studio, Cubase, or Ableton Live.

if your interests don't lie within classical or orchestral, pick up a DAW like FL Studio, Cubase, or Ableton Live.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Stars In Autumn » 15 Oct 2011 16:53

bartekko wrote:if your interests don't lie within classical or orchestral, pick up a DAW like FL Studio, Cubase, or Ableton Live.

Nice counter-argument there. All I'm saying is if you want to develop BOTH electronic and orchestral then a DAW isn't out of line with that. If you want to PERFORM classical/orchestral, pick an instrument.
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 17:20

Jeffthestrider wrote:DAW isn't out of line with that.

I don't think that a DAW has a lot to do with quality of sound, or it's better fit into a genre. What I meant is that a DAW is a choice for the looks and workflow...

and it's effect routing abilities and a few more thingies
bartekko

Postby Makkon » 15 Oct 2011 17:32

Well actually, some Daws are developed to streamline the creation of certain genres. FLStudio's workflow is great for trance/techno/house/dance. Which is why I don't use it, I don't like that workflow.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 18:06

Makkon wrote:words

is great for this, but if you try hard, you can also make orchestral with it. and i think that a overall genre of music has an impact on the workflow, and so on the daw of choice
bartekko

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Oct 2011 22:19

So much new Rainbow's/You Just All My blood recently. WHERE DO THEY COME FROM??!?!?!?
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 15 Oct 2011 22:29

SpaceAnomaly wrote:If you have something that I can start with, like something to read or an introduction that would be nice!

If you can read notation, then this place is great!

http://www.musictheory.net/

And back on topic, hello all new people!
Interrobang Pie wrote:So much new blood recently. WHERE DO THEY COME FROM??!?!?!?

Word is getting around! Huzzah!!!
Last edited by Dr_Dissonance on 16 Oct 2011 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Tephnos » 16 Oct 2011 14:25

Jeffthestrider wrote:
Celestial Nostos wrote:Hey guys.

Hello and welcome!

Don't worry about not having much experience, we all started there at one point or another! I'd recommend learning a bit about music theory, mostly about scales and chord progression. If your interests lie with both classical and orchestral, I'd pick up a DAW like FL Studio, Cubase, or Ableton Live. There are tons of beginner tutorials online and we here would love to help you with any questions.

I use FL Studio and have made both electronic and orchestral pieces before, so I can if you need any. Just give me a PM!

Welcome again!

Hey, and thanks.

Haha, I just feel a bit late starting into the game, since a lot of talented people I see usually start early teens. That sounds good, know any good online references before I start my google fu? I'm not too picky, but I think I'd start with electronic type stuff, and then perhaps progress onto classical and orchestral once I feel I've grown enough in skill. Cheers man, I'll look those up soon. I'll be sure to ask if I've got any questions (Probably a million)

But yeah, word is spreading around some of the songs on youtube and such. Not all of it is good, mind you (I keep hearing about alienation, for one), but I'm not gonna be judgemental. You people have been great so far. ;)

Oh hey Makkon, did you ever get the reply note on DeviantArt? If I asked too many questions, I guess that's fine too. My bad if so. =p
Tephnos

Postby Pinkamena » 17 Oct 2011 08:45

Hi there, I'm Pinkamena, also know as Solarwind.

I got into music creation about two or three months but I'm not really good at that... Right now, I'm searching a band, rock, hard rock or metal, I'm a guitarist since 4 years.

Information:
I'm 17
Currently studying informatic at high school and I planing to studying video game creation (Game design, level design...).
I listening to everykind of music except rap and r'n'b.
Favorite pony: Pinkamena Diane Pie, Derpy Hooves.
And I doing a pack for StepMania with MLP remix.
Everypony dance now!
Pinkamena

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Paw pad (fox)

Postby Circuitfry » 17 Oct 2011 08:47

StepMania? Fun! I love those packs. :)

Kick back and relax, 'mena, welcome to the community!
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby X-Trav » 17 Oct 2011 08:53

Pinkamena wrote:Hi there, I'm Pinkamena, also know as Solarwind.

I got into music creation about two or three months but I'm not really good at that... Right now, I'm searching a band, rock, hard rock or metal, I'm a guitarist since 4 years.

Information:
I'm 17
Currently studying informatic at high school and I planing to studying video game creation (Game design, level design...).
I listening to everykind of music except rap and r'n'b.
Favorite pony: Pinkamena Diane Pie, Derpy Hooves.
And I doing a pack for StepMania with MLP remix.

Welcome to the forum Pinkamena~

Don't feel bad about not being up to your own standards in music making, we all started terrible.

also stepmania. Yay.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 17 Oct 2011 09:58

Pinkamena wrote:Hi there, I'm Pinkamena, also know as Solarwind.

Where have I heard that name before??? I swear I recognise that name!

Also welcome!
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Interrobang Pie » 17 Oct 2011 10:25

Dr_Dissonance wrote:Where have I heard that name before??? I swear I recognise that name!

Nearly.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby natsukashi » 17 Oct 2011 10:32

Pinkamena wrote:And I doing a pack for StepMania with MLP remix.

Make it hard. I don't wanna FC any song unless my fingers bleed!
Also, welcome!
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby TriangleTheRetard » 19 Oct 2011 00:27

Hello, I am TriangleTheRetard.
I am just a listener here. Fan of your works, guys.

well, I am trying to make music too. My style is failstep, failcore, failstyle, faildance, failtime, fail rock, and my favorite, true norwegian death melodic symphonic progressive industrial alternative fail.
TriangleTheRetard

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 19 Oct 2011 05:56

Pinkamena wrote:And I doing a pack for StepMania with MLP remix.

Are you working on the SM5 pack/theme or some other pack?

Regardless, it's nice to see another steppony here. If you want an extra hoof on stepping duty for the pack you're working on, let me know! I mostly step pad files, though.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Pinkamena » 19 Oct 2011 07:06

Thanks everypony for the welcome

Supersaw: I'm working on a pack with only MLP remix, I made a tumblr for it (the link is in my sign.). He's name is Party in Equestria. And yeah, if you really want, I could add yours. Me, I mostly step keyboard files.
Everypony dance now!
Pinkamena

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Paw pad (fox)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion