Ok Where Are All the Female MLP Fans???

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Ok Where Are All the Female MLP Fans???

Postby Freewave » 14 Jan 2012 09:22

Guys we are fans of a cute, sweet, and awesome tv show that was intended for little girls. I'm not going to list the many reasons that its weird that teen and adult guys are into this show, i want to know what is the reason that bronies are 6 to 1 MALE! Don't you think its weird that we don't have more female fans of the show? Have you found any reason for this? Have you TRIED to get females into this show? I would think it's a show that sells itself! I've read a few pony confessions on tumbler where female fans were embarassed to approach boys in their school they knew were fans because they were female and felt like outsiders. I find this a rather weird to be happening and I'm curious if anyone has ideas on why this is the case. :?

Also I don't know how many other female musicians there are besides MIU and a few others. Everytime I'm thinking I might be talking to a female on here based on an avatar (ok who doesn't have a female pony avatar, i know) I later find that's not the case. There may be even less female musicians in the scene (which again i think they should be welcomed) which too is sad. :cry:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: Ok Where Are All the Female MLP Fans???

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 14 Jan 2012 09:32

Currently so far in the forum; Cats Milly, Lauren G, and myself.
New to the addition, there's Aerie.

I knew a few others on the music community like Meaghan and Ily, but I don't think they join this forum.
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby AerieFlew » 14 Jan 2012 09:42

Well as far as the first half goes, I haven't got any clue. I think guys just love it because it's adorable and something creative for their hearts and I don't know... Girls maybe have too many other things like it that they love? I love it because it's the best show ever but I don't think enough girls experience it. Maybe it is because more guys use the Internet, I'm not sure.

Girl musicians for ponies are not at large. I actually haven't found any besides apparently you and Miu. Y'all are both wonderful, btw. I think we need more

I would say more but I'm heading out :) be back in a while
AerieFlew

Postby Versilaryan » 14 Jan 2012 10:54

For whatever reason, I find that a lot of female Bronies just don't participate in online stuff. I've got a lot of female brony friends, but none of them really do anything online with ponies. So they're out there; they just don't participate in the community.
Versilaryan

Postby catmilly » 14 Jan 2012 22:08

dont ask me \ o /
catmilly

Postby AerieFlew » 14 Jan 2012 22:18

It's a good questions though. I mean... Why aren't they around o.o
AerieFlew

Postby hiero » 14 Jan 2012 23:18

But really, I only know one pegasister and as far as I know she doesn't participate in any online discussion. Then again, she did say she wrote a shipfic before, so I have no idea. I'd really like to know why the ratio difference is so high myself, because honestly if this show attracts as many guys as it does, you'd think the women would be at least on the same level.
hiero

Postby AerieFlew » 14 Jan 2012 23:22

I wonder why they aren't part of the community!
Hmm. Tis weird o.o
AerieFlew

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 14 Jan 2012 23:56

My theory:

1.) The very polar behavior on how female and male perceive fandom especially in online based community. Again, this just a theory. Guys tend to be chiller but frank when they talk. Girls have too much to say and too much hormones. A guy's chillness can't comprehend general fangirl quirks, and a fanboy's opinion is too harsh to a fangirl's heart. These factors don't go well together. If there is a fandom dominated by one gender, the other will stay quiet. They follow without talking too much. Of course there are exceptions in every fandom.

2.) Internet is dominated by guys.

3.) Regarding to specific contribution to MLP:FiM community, I find there are many female fanartists. So probably most male do the music and most female do the drawings.
MiuMiuChuu

Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby Mundius » 15 Jan 2012 08:48

I know female MLP fans, what are you talking about?

The music genre is dominated by male bronies, though. The female fans either create plushes or artwork.
Mundius

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby AerieFlew » 15 Jan 2012 09:37

XP well maybe they should start making music too. I do artwork and plushies as well but music is amazing. More girls should get into it!
AerieFlew

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 15 Jan 2012 10:07

Don't forget Scarlett Peace!

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonicRainboom20

But besides her and you folk, I know of no others...other artistic outlets however, are a different story...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Freewave » 15 Jan 2012 13:40

Yeah in case people were wondering these are the results of Brony surveys. Then again if people don't participate in surveys they won't be represented so the #'s may be higher than those taking the surveys.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... n_US&pli=1
18% female

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/results-over ... 694&mode=4
ponychan survey
15.5% female

Brony Herd Census
http://www.herdcensus.com/
14.5 % female

Sadly female musicians are already somewhat of a minority and then you take a community like MLP where they are an additional minority and its a double whammy. Glad to see most of them here on MLR though. Hopefully we'll see that # expand in the future.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Return to Off-Topic Discussion