Interesting Read

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Interesting Read

Postby Navron » 05 Jan 2012 18:29

Saw my dad post this on his FB, but it definitely should deserves a repost here:

http://huehueteotl.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... ge-people/
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Re: Interesting Read

Postby SeanNH94 » 05 Jan 2012 20:17

Heh, interesting indeed... It makes sense though.
SeanNH94

Postby Senator Myth » 05 Jan 2012 20:25

Music and brain science is a very interesting topic! We had a Nobel Laureate in neuroscience come and talk at my college about it last October, and he had some really interesting observations. One of them was that when people listen to, dance to, or play music together, there are certain segments of their brains that are literally syncing up with one another... of course helping to bring those people together and create a meaningful bonding experience. One hypothesis is that music was developed by humans for this purpose: a social activity! I would link the whole lecture if I could find it, and it is well-over an hour long... Perhaps in another thread sometime.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Pustulioooooo » 05 Jan 2012 21:27

Yes, quite interesting. It's truely amazing how the brain works with something like music.
Contact Info/other sites
Projects:
SSE OST
On Deck:
Rainbow Factory Remix 1%
*Spoilers* -
Ballad of the Moon Goddess -
On Hold:
Celestian March (Soviet March Remix) 50%
LOADSAMAGIC -
Poker Night at the Library -
Pustulioooooo

Postby Tephnos » 06 Jan 2012 00:16

I remember reading a while back about how our brains are tuned to the sound of classical music the most, and so performance improves when doing a task whilst listening to it, or something like that.

That's pretty much true in my case anyway. I can concentrate better when I listen to something classical based when doing work that requires a lot of sitting and thinking. Other genres don't really do it for me in the same scenario (unless it's general chilled out music).
Tephnos

Postby bartekko » 06 Jan 2012 03:12

/me has found a good argument for listening to music while learning
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Tephnos » 06 Jan 2012 06:16

Speaking of listening to music while learning, there is something about listening to binaural beats can help as well. Can't say I've ever given a real try, but after listening to one of the so called beats on youtube for 15 minutes I kind of got 'lost' in the sound of it and didn't pay much attention to what was going on around me, except for what I was concentrating on. Soon as I stopped the track everything felt weird. Of course, I listened to these with full size headphones so the effect was probably more pronounced for me.

Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7TdlZ8I ... re=related
Tephnos

Postby Senator Myth » 06 Jan 2012 10:48

Binaural beats are ridiculously interesting stuffs. It seems like pseudoscience carp, but it's all pretty much backed up by solid evidence. Basically when you listen to them, it quite literally affects your brain waves, putting them to the same frequency as the beat patterns. IT'S REALLY WEIRD but also pretty cool.

Should we just change this thread to "Music and Neuroscience General"?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Tephnos » 06 Jan 2012 11:14

^ Yes. We should compile a bunch of binaural beats and figure out which one is the best for what activity and such! =D
Tephnos

Return to Off-Topic Discussion