Artists you can't listen to in fear you'll give up music

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Artists you can't listen to in fear you'll give up music

Postby SoaringFlight » 29 Dec 2011 07:02

Yesterday i watched Omni's stream recording when he made that Im Blue dubstep remix.. It hurts your morale quite a bit when you see it.
SoaringFlight

Postby Triple_B » 29 Dec 2011 11:09

SoaringFlight wrote:Yesterday i watched Omni's stream recording when he made that Im Blue dubstep remix.. It hurts your morale quite a bit when you see it.

Which is why I did not watch.
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby Pickslide1992 » 01 Jan 2012 19:28

A lot of them, really. I feel I'm bottom of the barrel compared to guys like Mic the Microphone.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby CGEyeGuy » 02 Jan 2012 01:51

Pretty much everyone on this site, but I listen to the songs anyways.
You can't expect to get better if you avoid good music.
CGEyeGuy

Postby Tsyolin » 02 Jan 2012 09:42

Pickslide1992 wrote:A lot of them, really. I feel I'm bottom of the barrel compared to guys like Mic the Microphone.

Funny, because Mic thinks all of his stuff is garbage.
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby Pickslide1992 » 02 Jan 2012 10:45

AJTheEngineer wrote:
Pickslide1992 wrote:A lot of them, really. I feel I'm bottom of the barrel compared to guys like Mic the Microphone.

Funny, because Mic thinks all of his stuff is garbage.

Is he kidding? His stuff's great. If his music really was garbage, he wouldn't be nearly as popular as he is.

Despite this, though, I do listen to what others have to offer, even if I feel jelly afterwards. XD
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Triangle Brony » 05 Jan 2012 21:06

Omnipony.

just

how
Triangle Brony

Postby Senator Myth » 06 Jan 2012 11:05

THERE'S A REASON I DON'T LISTEN TO OMNIPONY AND THIS THREAD IS WHY.

The musician I usually associate with the feeling of "I want to quit" is Jackle App, who seems to quite effortlessly make beautiful music. Beyond that... I dunno. Every last scrap of what I know about music is something I've ripped from the jaws of other musicians. Book learning will give you a foundation to work on, chords and keys and such, or on the other hand with eq or compression for mastering, but the only way to really work is to listen to other musicians and try to figure out how they did it. What effect they used to get that certain sound, or to try to crawl inside their mind and understand how exactly they came up with what they did. Both of these are pretty tough and immensely discouraging to try to put into action, but along with constant practice it's really the only way to go about getting better.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby ismbof » 07 Jan 2012 09:54

Senator Myth wrote:Book learning will give you a foundation to work on, chords and keys and such, or on the other hand with eq or compression for mastering, but the only way to really work is to listen to other musicians and try to figure out how they did it. What effect they used to get that certain sound, or to try to crawl inside their mind and understand how exactly they came up with what they did. Both of these are pretty tough and immensely discouraging to try to put into action, but along with constant practice it's really the only way to go about getting better.

This is why I really look up to Adam Dutkiewics (Killswitch Enagage guitarist; Music Producer for bands like: KsE, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, Times of Grace, etc.
ismbof

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 07 Jan 2012 23:21

So I'm sitting here, listening to Alex S.' and Omnipony's set on the BroNYcon livestream, wondering why I even try making music anymore. Hopefully, come tomorrow I'll turn that thought around and use it as creative fuel, but for the time being I'm just sad. :/
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby randomblockfilms » 08 Jan 2012 00:14

TheSunAndTheRainfall wrote:So I'm sitting here, listening to Alex S.' and Omnipony's set on the BroNYcon livestream, wondering why I even try making music anymore. Hopefully, come tomorrow I'll turn that thought around and use it as creative fuel, but for the time being I'm just sad. :/

I know right!?!? I don't mean to be mean or anything but when the band was playing, they kinda were not super great. it made me feel like my music was awesome! i was in a happy mood! then Alex and Omnipony get up there and play their songs and make me fell like my music was garbage. it was a bittersweet ending. but yeah hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 08 Jan 2012 09:28

All of you guys.... *derp*
Like really, if I have the chance, I would be very honor if my voice is featured in at least one of your works.

For specific musicians... Probably Elsie or better known as Sweet Poffin on YouTube. That lady has a voice of an angel my 9 years of vocal training seems doesn't worth any of her powerful style of vocals. To be honest, she's more of a vocalist rather than a musician. But if someone should have the chance singing big for disney-esque features, she probably deserves it.

For actual "actual" mainstream musicians... Meh.
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 08 Jan 2012 09:29

All of you guys.... *derp*
Like really, if I have the chance, I would be very honored if my voice is featured in at least one of your works.

For specific musicians... Probably Elsie or better known as Sweet Poffin on YouTube. That lady has a voice of an angel my 9 years of vocal training seems doesn't worth any of her powerful style of vocals. To be honest, she's more of a vocalist rather than a musician. But if someone should have the chance singing big for disney-esque features, she probably deserves it.

For actual "actual" mainstream musicians... Meh.

Sorry for the double post. Connection problems while posting. Can someone delete the previous one?
Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry ;-;
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby Darktrot » 08 Jan 2012 22:40

My list is huge......
-Mic the Microphone
-Alex S
-The Living Tombstone
-Makkon
-Eurobeat Brony
-d.notive
-KeepOnRockin'
-Jackle App
-Nix Spark (You made my fucking list asshole)
-Cicuitfry
-Wooden Toaster
-Omnipony
etc....
My list goes on.....
Sorry to bother you...
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby ForeverOdin » 09 Jan 2012 07:13

jubian wrote:Every. Single. Fucking. Artist.

As long as there's at least one thing another artist does better than me, I'm right on Envy Avenue.

^^ THIS. xD (Jealous of ALL the artists! o=)

I was actually thinking about this recently. Seriously, hate to be another downer, but sometimes I do wonder why I try >_<. I don't PLAN on quitting (despite considering it many times) but when I do listen to ALL the other Brony artists (which I still do, and other assorted musicians) I can't help but think "Boy do I have a LOOOOONG damn way to go...and will I ever even make it to that level?"
Still searchin'.
Mah Tube
Mah Cloud
ForeverOdin

Postby SoGreatandPowerful » 09 Jan 2012 10:18

A lot of people in this community, of course, but most prominently Yourenigma (Pony Piano) and AbranteDr. It's a matter of skill and raw (magic), material talent really; I just don't have it, and I never will. Also, I'm jealous of Christfry's prolificness -- both in musical and literary works.
SoGreatandPowerful

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 09 Jan 2012 19:39

SoGreatandPowerful wrote:I just don't have it, and I never will.

LIES. LIES, I SAY.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Pickslide1992 » 09 Jan 2012 20:00

I'm beginning to wonder why I even bother with this stuff. Almost every one of you guys could best me in the musical process. All I have is a menagerie of uncreativity.

Not trying to be an attention whore, but I'm going to say most of the people here are better than me, and don't deny it. Listen to one of my tracks and listen to someone else's here on this site and you'll see.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby DasDeer » 10 Jan 2012 02:22

Pickslide1992 wrote:Not trying to be an attention whore, but I'm going to say most of the people here are better than me, and don't deny it. Listen to one of my tracks and listen to someone else's here on this site and you'll see.

Perhaps. But practice makes perfect, no?
I'm a rather new composer and i feel the same way from time to time. But, don't let that get to you. Try to convert that feeling into a "push". Instead of thinking "Everyone is better then me!", think "If i continue to compose, i can be as good as them!".
Works for me.
DasDeer

Postby CGEyeGuy » 12 Jan 2012 13:00

Mark Petrie, literally everything I have heard from him is pure epicness!
CGEyeGuy

Postby LeafRunner » 12 Jan 2012 14:05

DasDeer wrote:
Pickslide1992 wrote:Not trying to be an attention whore, but I'm going to say most of the people here are better than me, and don't deny it. Listen to one of my tracks and listen to someone else's here on this site and you'll see.

Perhaps. But practice makes perfect, no?
I'm a rather new composer and i feel the same way from time to time. But, don't let that get to you. Try to convert that feeling into a "push". Instead of thinking "Everyone is better then me!", think "If i continue to compose, i can be as good as them!".
Works for me.

I never try to compare myself to others. It still happens from time to time, but that's part of being an artist in any medium. Compare yourself to yourself, from when you started to now. Music is an expression of yourself, even if you feel you may not be as "good" as someone else, no one will ever play or compose quite like you do. You should take pride in that fact. One of the old Disney animators said "surround yourself with artists better than yourself," and it's really a great way to improve.

That being said there's always musicians that make me go, "man, I hope I can do something like that sometime." SoGreatAndPowerful, Mandopony, and AcousticBrony being some of those.
LeafRunner

Postby DasDeer » 12 Jan 2012 15:07

LeafRunner wrote:I never try to compare myself to others. It still happens from time to time, but that's part of being an artist in any medium. Compare yourself to yourself, from when you started to now. Music is an expression of yourself, even if you feel you may not be as "good" as someone else, no one will ever play or compose quite like you do. You should take pride in that fact. One of the old Disney animators said "surround yourself with artists better than yourself," and it's really a great way to improve.

Wise words.

I also try to avoid comparing myself to other composers, but whenever i do, i try to think that i can be as talented as them one day.
Comparing your songs to other songs is a very good way to improve. You will see what the other composer did to make it sound so good. However, when you do so you also run the risk of thinking something like "Why am i not this good?".

But, very well said LeafRunner.
DasDeer

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion