Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Ofish-all Discussion Thread

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Apr 2014 00:47

SO. I saw The Lego Movie with a friend today. I'll keep it general in case anybody hasn't seen it yet (go see it now), it's a surprisingly freakin clever movie and I can TOTALLY see why Viri loves Princess Unikitty. Because Princess Unikitty is fucking awesome. Seriously though, this is probably gonna be one of those movies like Toy Story or The Lion King that a lot of the 5 year olds are gonna revisit in 10 years time and suddenly realise just how much they didn't get before.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby ExoBassTix » 05 Apr 2014 01:30

Mr. BiggleBagelBoggle wrote:SO. I saw The Lego Movie with a friend today. I'll keep it general in case anybody hasn't seen it yet (go see it now), it's a surprisingly freakin clever movie and I can TOTALLY see why Viri loves Princess Unikitty. Because Princess Unikitty is fucking awesome. Seriously though, this is probably gonna be one of those movies like Toy Story or The Lion King that a lot of the 5 year olds are gonna revisit in 10 years time and suddenly realise just how much they didn't get before.

I don't really see any appeal in the movie though. And I cringe at seeing Unikitty. I find it remarkable to see you rate it this high though.

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:So my brother apparently won't say anything about the post hanging in my room of nightmare moon. I kind of wish he would but he is probably a little more used to my brony shenanigans so he is like, whatever.
I like my mlp Luna lunch box but I'm such a wuss. I took it out of my back pack during lunch, took my lunch out, and put it back into my back pack before anyone could really see it. I am so lame for being so insecure about this. Ugg

So you hung up that poster just to mess with your bro? That's pretty low, man.

i actually didn't realize that thats how i made it sound. The actual reason its hanging up is because i want to hang it up. then the second thing i want to see is if he would say anything.

Hue.
I bought my pone shirts because I like em a whole damn lot and because I wanna show people what I like.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Apr 2014 01:47

eh, even 9/10 movies has a 10% disapproval. Pretty much everyone else I know who saw it either loved it or at least thought it was good. Different tastes I guess :P
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ExoBassTix » 05 Apr 2014 02:16

Kyoga wrote:I have a friend I sit next to in class who's a pretty sociable brony. He doesn't know I'm a brony, though. XD
I've always found it odd to present in a social setting.

I'm a DJ/Producer at heart, sharing my passion is my art.

:P
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Freewave » 05 Apr 2014 08:18

Lego Movie was a lot of fun but it didn't blow my mind like a lot of animated movies. I do like ithat it worked differently for various age levels. Unikitty was easily my favorite tho.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Alycs » 05 Apr 2014 16:51

Unikitty was a perfect character no one can tell me otherwise
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby 3ternal » 05 Apr 2014 17:58

It's time for 3ternal's unpopular opinion of the day *fanfare and crowd cheering*

Ahem

Lego movie is bad, Unikitty is unfunny and badly written, and Maud Pie has the character depth of a rock.

This has been 3ternal's unpopular opinion of the day *ending fanfare*
My Youtube My Soundcloud
My name's Vivian, and I make music with no educational value whatsoever.
DAW: Ableton Live 9
VSTs: NI Massive, Kontakt,
Genres: Stuff your parents wouldn't like
eery wrote:fuck you and your big e.
3ternal

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Literally just Static

Postby Stuntddude » 05 Apr 2014 20:55

3ternal wrote:Maud Pie has the character depth of a rock

Go away, I want never to hear from you again.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Apr 2014 21:03

Stuntddude wrote:
3ternal wrote:Maud Pie has the character depth of a rock

Go away, I want never to hear from you again.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Luks » 06 Apr 2014 01:05

It's hard to make something creative at LAN-party when there's over 9000 subwoofers around you playing psytrance and dubstep same time.
Luks

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 06 Apr 2014 08:11

I went to a concert last night. Well, I don't know what to call it. Basically, where DJs perform. And they advertised dubstep and house and trap. 90% of the time they played big room and trap. They played almost no house and they played only a little dubstep. They had 4 DJs and some of them kind of sucked. I felt bad for one DJ because all audio stopped for a while in his computer, so to keep
Him from being too embarrassed, I started cheering and then the entire crowd followed my example until the music started playing again.
I didn't really enjoy myself, but that's ok.
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby ExoBassTix » 06 Apr 2014 08:18

Luks wrote:It's hard to make something creative at LAN-party when there's over 9000 subwoofers around you playing psytrance and dubstep same time.

Oh god I know the feel!

On a different note, yesternight I've been to NORAD, the best Doomcore/Doomtechno/Industrial Hardcore and Crossbreed/Drum 'N' Bass event ever. It was the best night I've EVER had. I literally partied till I couldn't anymore. After Embrionyc's last track (IT WAS FUCKING THOUGHTS AGAINST THOUGHTS :D ) I had cramp in both arms, they hurt like fuck, began getting ear fatigue and stuff. So. Fucking. Worth it.
Embrionyc was, without any hesitation, was amazing. To see him enjoy his tracks made it only better.

Oh and I recognized a total of two whole tracks the whole night.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Viricide Filly » 06 Apr 2014 09:45

3ternal wrote:It's time for 3ternal's unpopular opinion of the day *fanfare and crowd cheering*

Ahem

Lego movie is bad, Unikitty is unfunny and badly written, and Maud Pie has the character depth of a rock.

This has been 3ternal's unpopular opinion of the day *ending fanfare*

It's like /mu/
Stop disliking things just because everyone else likes them
And anyway you said you never saw the lego movie so why are you bashing on it?
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby Facade » 06 Apr 2014 12:29

3ternal wrote: and Maud Pie has the character depth of a rock.

wasnt that the point?
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Jokeblue » 06 Apr 2014 18:42

Anyway, yesterday I played at GOATS (Going off at the swamp) festival. It rained the whole day, attendance was very low, and the band before mine went way over time, forcing the people who run the festival to cut our 20 minute set down to 8 minutes, or 2 and a half songs. But after they decided to cut our set short they then decided that that was unfair and let every other band play their full sets. All in all the whole day just kind of sucked and I spent the day before preparing stuff for it and then yesterday there doing nothing when in the end it was barely worth even setting up for it.

But I won a large plush snake with sunglasses on it, and I pat a baby goat, so that was aight.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Callenby » 08 Apr 2014 01:25

(Figure I'll post here rather than creating a new thread)

To everyone who sells music on Bandcamp

How has your experience been with it? Would you recommend it to others? Are there any limitations it has that you dislike?

I'm considering signing up for it but all the legalese makes me wary. I understand that a lot of it is just them covering their ass and so probably won't really affect things, but I still don't want to jump blindly into anything.

Also, yay, my first time ever posting in one of these threads.

Also, as I type this, there are four bots looking through MLR...
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby ExoBassTix » 08 Apr 2014 01:49

Callenby wrote:I've been meaning to say this for a while.

Maybe, just maybe the kitchen bots are encouraged by the fact that all of their threads get a ton of posts from people who seem to feel that they have to constantly respond.

Ocular wrote:Had to reply before the thread is locked O3O

Case in point.

Just report the post and move on with your day.

Exactly this. Bots are the same as trolls in this situation: feed them, they'll continue doing what they're doing.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 08 Apr 2014 02:52

Callenby wrote:(Figure I'll post here rather than creating a new thread)

To everyone who sells music on Bandcamp

How has your experience been with it? Would you recommend it to others? Are there any limitations it has that you dislike?

I'm considering signing up for it but all the legalese makes me wary. I understand that a lot of it is just them covering their ass and so probably won't really affect things, but I still don't want to jump blindly into anything.

Fairly good with my experiences. Basically you retain ownership of your music, but they get their 15% (or whatever) cut on sales made on bandcamp. way better royalties than a service like itunes offers (last I checked they kept about 90%, may be wrong but it's way higher than bandcamp). You're on your own with marketing. However being in the top 10 sellers can give a slight boost in sales.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Stuntddude » 08 Apr 2014 05:55

Captain Ironhelm wrote:You're on your own with marketing.

Well that's not entirely true, they do have very good SEO, so they're at least helpful in that respect.

Anyways, my experience with bandcamp is it's fantastic. I know a lot of people who use bandcamp and I've never heard of anyone having any issues, legal or otherwise. They take a small cut of profit and they allow people to pay more than the minimum (which makes a distinct difference - bandcamp stats show people paying ~50% more than the minimum, on average). It's relatively straightforward to use, you retain prety much all rights to your music, and perhaps my favorite thing of all is they do all your encoding and metadata for you. It is extremely good as a musician, so much so that I've had a better experience with it as a musician than as a customer.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
Stuntddude

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 08 Apr 2014 06:42

Band camp is cool except I have had 0 sales :(
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Magnitude Zero » 08 Apr 2014 09:47

ExoBassTix wrote:
Callenby wrote:I've been meaning to say this for a while.

Maybe, just maybe the kitchen bots are encouraged by the fact that all of their threads get a ton of posts from people who seem to feel that they have to constantly respond.

Ocular wrote:Had to reply before the thread is locked O3O

Case in point.

Just report the post and move on with your day.

Exactly this. Bots are the same as trolls in this situation: feed them, they'll continue doing what they're doing.

90% sure this is not how bots work.

Which do you think is more likely: bots carefully considering each forum with algorithms based on number of bot threads already in existence and number of posts each receives, or bots just spamming any forum they can regardless of all that? Which do you think takes more processing power?

They don't gain anything by not spamming a forum. I have no idea why you guys think they're so selective.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Ricky Denzel » 08 Apr 2014 15:09

Jokeblue wrote:

Anyway, yesterday I played at GOATS (Going off at the swamp) festival. It rained the whole day, attendance was very low, and the band before mine went way over time, forcing the people who run the festival to cut our 20 minute set down to 8 minutes, or 2 and a half songs. But after they decided to cut our set short they then decided that that was unfair and let every other band play their full sets. All in all the whole day just kind of sucked and I spent the day before preparing stuff for it and then yesterday there doing nothing when in the end it was barely worth even setting up for it.

But I won a large plush snake with sunglasses on it, and I pat a baby goat, so that was aight.

Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Coloriot » 08 Apr 2014 15:33

(We're no longer discussing fish, plz change it back)

So we're doing this thing in AP World History, where we select a world empire, and we get to debate on why ours is the best. I have the British Empire. Any of you Brits wanna brag on your history? Or maybe talk trash on the Song Dynasty? (I face them in a week).
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby Stuntddude » 08 Apr 2014 17:09

The Song dynasty invented movable type and then hardly even did anything with it. They could have brought widespread literacy to the world, but instead they just sat around on their asses and never realized the potential of mass printing. What losers, amirite?
Stuntddude

Postby Alycs » 08 Apr 2014 17:15

Have fun trying to trash the Song Dynasty. China in that time period underwent one of its greatest periods of scientific and intellectual growth, along with pioneering the world's first known system of paper bank-noting and country wide literacy from it's widespread avocation of the movable printing press... (don't know where stuntdude got that they didn't do anything with it...)

Thankfully, the British empire a pretty damn big both in terms of achievements and size, concentrate on your empires strong points, but don't try to bash the Song Dynasty because that'll just be a bad time all around.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion