Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Discussion thread (for discussions)

Postby ExoBassTix » 29 Aug 2014 04:56

If you believe in something with all your heart, something that others might not believe in, for whatever reason you do believe in it, it could evolve into a private reality. A fake reality, perhaps. It can be believing in a God, in something magical, or anything else popularly considered unprovable, or mythical. These beliefs can empower their wielder mentally, which is proven to be able to convert into more willpower, and sometimes physical strength. Perhaps even more. The act of believing becomes as powerful as that which is believed in.

Belief is something beautiful, even moreso if you can share your belief with those you hold dear. However, it can also become something destructive, if you start seeing your private reality as the actual reality, and force it upon others that have a different reality. The Mane 6 simply taught Discord this, in which he became 'reformed'.

And the fake reality persists inside of him.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Stuntddude » 29 Aug 2014 07:09

FLAOFEI wrote:You are convinced the facts you know are true, you believe in them. Why? You learned from a trustworthy source.

Yes, as opposed to wishing my belief in them into existence.

FLAOFEI wrote:Do you believe you are infallible at judging what is a trustworthy source?

...Are you really doing this? Do you realize this could literally be used as a de facto response to any argument, or anything anyone ever says? Of course I'm not infallible. I never claim to be, and it's irrelevant truth of the matter. Seriously, what a stupid question...

LFP wrote:I wouldn't necessarily say that what you believe is always based on how you're informed.
How would someone then be in denial of, say a traumatic experience.
I would say that counts as someone "just arbitrarily choosing to believe something".

It doesn't, though. I don't mean "how you're informed" as in facts that you are directly told, I mean that the information your brain receives determines what you believe. Denial of a traumatic experience is a good example - in that situation, your belief isn't caused by a choice, it's caused by being unable to cope with the reality of a particular experience. If you had tried to make yourself believe that the traumatic experience really did happen, it would not have changed what you actually ended up believing.

A good exercise to test this is to try to will yourself to believe, for instance, that the sky is neon orange. Wish to believe it, try to will your own belief into existence all you like, try as hard as you can, you simply won't be able to do it, because that's just not how human brains work.

Of course, that's not to say you can't indirectly cause yourself to believe something (for instance, by looking up only sources of information that you know will confirm a particular view), but it's not as simple as flipping some Switch of Belief in your brain.

ph00tbag wrote:The fact that reality can really only be interpreted through the mind means that your reality is whatever your mind tells you it is, and if your mind tells you you're a horse, then holy shit you're a horse.

This is true, but it is not two-way. If your mind tells you you're a horse, then holy shit, you're a horse. But if you tell your mind that you're a horse, then holy shit, nothing happens. Because you can't will belief or experience into existence.

ExoBassTix wrote:If you believe in something with all your heart, something that others might not believe in, for whatever reason you do believe in it, it could evolve into a private reality. A fake reality, perhaps.

That's just a description of what belief is, though. A "private reality" is a good way to describe what it is like for somebody to genuinely believe something that may not be true, but it's simply a description of belief, not a product of belief.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Stuntddude » 29 Aug 2014 07:17

The basis of the aforementioned rule of thumb is this:
If someone believes that a technique will work on them, or produce a specific result, then afterward, they'll probably believe that it worked or produced the result, regardless of whether it actually produce the result, as long as the result is not something with an obviously observable physical effect (like a surgical procedure, for example).
If the intended result is belief, and the technique requires belief to work, then it is simply a self-fulfilling prophecy.
A technique causing a placebo effect does not mean that the technique actually works.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
Stuntddude

Postby ph00tbag » 29 Aug 2014 14:39

Stuntddude wrote:
ph00tbag wrote:The fact that reality can really only be interpreted through the mind means that your reality is whatever your mind tells you it is, and if your mind tells you you're a horse, then holy shit you're a horse.

This is true, but it is not two-way. If your mind tells you you're a horse, then holy shit, you're a horse. But if you tell your mind that you're a horse, then holy shit, nothing happens. Because you can't will belief or experience into existence.

There's actually a fair amount of evidence to suggest that under the right circumstances, it's possible to get your brain to be utterly convinced of an irreal reality. It's not necessarily so simple as saying, "I am a horse," a bunch of times. It requires entering a different state of consciousness, and opening your mind up to suggestion, but it's fully possible.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby FLAOFEI » 29 Aug 2014 19:28

Stuntddude wrote:
FLAOFEI wrote:You are convinced the facts you know are true, you believe in them. Why? You learned from a trustworthy source.

Yes, as opposed to wishing my belief in them into existence.

FLAOFEI wrote:Do you believe you are infallible at judging what is a trustworthy source?

...Are you really doing this? Do you realize this could literally be used as a de facto response to any argument, or anything anyone ever says? Of course I'm not infallible. I never claim to be, and it's irrelevant truth of the matter. Seriously, what a stupid question... [/quote]
It wasn't ment as a question. It was meant as an example. You can never know anything 100% certanly. For all you know you could be an alzheimers patient who thinks you're young again. It doesn't have much to do with Hypnosis specificly, but you made some assumptions about the human mind I don't agree with.
Last edited by FLAOFEI on 30 Aug 2014 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 29 Aug 2014 20:58

I just had a really good recording session, everything came out super clean and workable, pretty damn keen to start mixing it
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Stuntddude » 29 Aug 2014 21:29

ph00tbag wrote:
Stuntddude wrote:

There's actually a fair amount of evidence to suggest that under the right circumstances, it's possible to get your brain to be utterly convinced of an irreal reality. It's not necessarily so simple as saying, "I am a horse," a bunch of times.

I don't disagree with this at all, actually. It's possible to set incredibly pervasive ideas in one's own mind, but because humans don't have the power to micromanage their own brains and control their own beliefs directly, it has to be accomplished through more roundabout means by setting up situations for oneself by which to be convinced. That's pretty much my point all along.
Stuntddude

Postby ph00tbag » 29 Aug 2014 22:08

I guess this really comes from ambiguity in the definition of the word, belief. If we're taking belief to mean, "acceptance of that which is, based on compelling evidence in favor," then yeah, that's not something that can be changed directly. But I've always understood belief to mean, "personal conviction formed in the absence of compelling evidence for or against." Such a thing is simple to change, really, relying on nothing more than a conscious decision to change.

But I don't consider hypnosis to be a matter of the latter. Hypnosis not only creates for you evidence of a particular non-truth, but encourages your mind to ignore all evidence to the contrary, so by all rights, you have compelling evidence that the hypnotic fallacy is true, and you believe it in the former sense--you accept it. It is just such a roundabout way of reprogramming the mind.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 30 Aug 2014 09:05

Me and my Ex went on a date last night....actually, that was our first real date
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby LFP » 30 Aug 2014 09:21

On another very related note
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby DJ TATCM » 30 Aug 2014 12:24

what is the difference between seapunk and vaporwave frankly i am so befuddled by all these newfangled genres you meddling kids come up with these days
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby Viricide Filly » 30 Aug 2014 13:00

I can't really tell you the difference because I don't listen to Seapunk, but I can tell you there is a pretty big difference in direction, aesthetic, style, origin etc
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby Stuntddude » 30 Aug 2014 17:15

What even is seapunk and what is vaporwave, and is it even worth the brain cells to know?
Stuntddude

Postby Jokeblue » 30 Aug 2014 18:21

Sea punk sounds like ocean influenced ska-punk with accordions or something
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Jokeblue » 31 Aug 2014 15:23

That is to say that's what the name sounds like to me. I've never heard it and have no idea what it's like lol, just made an assumption.

Jokeblue

Postby ExoBassTix » 31 Aug 2014 15:37

Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Viricide Filly » 31 Aug 2014 20:36

I really do enjoy quite a lot of Vaporwave though. Not for the aesthetics, for the sound of it. Even though a lot of it doesn't take much to make, I still enjoy it.
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby Stuntddude » 31 Aug 2014 21:45

I think I can relate to that. It sounds sort of like my hobby of listening to songs paulstretched or with a 4 bar stereo offset.
Stuntddude

Postby Acsii » 31 Aug 2014 21:51

Jokeblue wrote:Sea punk sounds like ocean influenced ska-punk with accordions or something

I would listen the fuck out of anything that was like that
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Jokeblue » 31 Aug 2014 22:29

Acsii wrote:
Jokeblue wrote:Sea punk sounds like ocean influenced ska-punk with accordions or something

I would listen the fuck out of anything that was like that

I know right? Ska-punk's awesome, what better way to make it more awesome by making it oceany?

Jokeblue

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 01 Sep 2014 02:10

I feel more and more depressed the more tired I get.
I have been awake for 18 hours. Which is nothing compared to what I usually do. But I've been awake and getting very little sleep lately. It adds up. I'm very tired.
Fun fact: staying awake for 17 hours has similar effects on the brain as drinking two glasses of wine.
Meaning my brain is currently functioning the same as if I was slightly drunk. Weird
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Guthey » 01 Sep 2014 02:24

Bronies Are Cool wrote:I feel more and more depressed the more tired I get.
I have been awake for 18 hours. Which is nothing compared to what I usually do. But I've been awake and getting very little sleep lately. It adds up. I'm very tired.
Fun fact: staying awake for 17 hours has similar effects on the brain as drinking two glasses of wine.
Meaning my brain is currently functioning the same as if I was slightly drunk. Weird

Well that's not good, eh?
DAW: FL Studio
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/guthey
Guthey

Cutie Mark: General EDM mark

Postby Freewave » 01 Sep 2014 10:06

Stuntddude wrote:What even is seapunk and what is vaporwave, and is it even worth the brain cells to know?

This is Vaporwave, it still seems to have some support and a unified style. Haven't heard any myself. Still going semi strong and following in the footsteps (movement wise) as Chillwave and Witch House (although very different)
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/MarilynRo ... vaporwave/

Seapunk was VERRRy brief and never really organized a sound. More a brief meme and fashion statement based on the sea and music and that's about it. https://rateyourmusic.com/list/RaggaR/% ... %E2%96%B2/

Turned more into a joke once mtv jumped on it early on. Likely killed it faster then anything :lol:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ExoBassTix » 01 Sep 2014 10:39

Freewave wrote:Likely killed it faster then anything

Nah, there's still Googlecore.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby ph00tbag » 01 Sep 2014 10:53

I'm just going to call it all meme music.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion