Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Discussion thread (for discussions)

Postby Jokeblue » 26 Aug 2014 19:46

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:I'd be SO down for a mexican one though

There are gonna be tacos burritos and nachos galore and I'm gonna get to play lead guitar because our guitarist will be out of town for the event.

And I literally just found out there are gonna be a bunch of side events and gamestuffs including a chili eating contest.

Needless to say I'm keen
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 26 Aug 2014 21:39

So my friend was telling me he has a guitar that is kind of rare. I guess only like 75K were ever made and most of them were red. He has a black one. It has some special kind of whammy bar that they don't make any more which is better than what they do make these days where it doesn't make your guitar go out of tune.
He says that the guitar with that on it is worth over 2.5K (usd) and I know he is trying to sell it
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby S.P.P » 27 Aug 2014 02:25

75k isn't very rare .. And Evertune bridges are still going strong and commonplace. Sorry to burst his bubble. I have a one-of-a-kind guitar hardly worth £50.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Acsii » 27 Aug 2014 03:54

Bronies Are Cool wrote:So my friend was telling me he has a guitar that is kind of rare. I guess only like 75K were ever made and most of them were red. He has a black one. It has some special kind of whammy bar that they don't make any more which is better than what they do make these days where it doesn't make your guitar go out of tune.
He says that the guitar with that on it is worth over 2.5K (usd) and I know he is trying to sell it

post a pic of the guitar and I'll tell you if it's rare or not.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Ricky Denzel » 27 Aug 2014 06:14

I hate to say this, but I'm leaving MLR. I just don't feel like half of the people her don't take me or my work on here seriously. I've worked hard for my music and just to be taken granted just makes it worse. whenever I make something, I keep getting criticized, even for the music I don't even take serious. Seems to me that everything I do is just for nothing. I know that if I keep trying, I'll get better, but all I hear is "I don't like the synths" or "it's too loud" or "too hard" or "you need to keep trying." I've been trying for 5 years and it's not helping me with shit. To those of you who believed in me, Thanks. To the critics: expletive and I bid you good day.

-Ricky
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby LFP » 27 Aug 2014 11:45

Ricky Denzel wrote:I hate to say this, but I'm leaving MLR. I just don't feel like half of the people her don't take me or my work on here seriously.
...I keep getting criticized
...but all I hear is "I don't like the synths" or "it's too loud" or "too hard" or "you need to keep trying."
Shouldn't that be an indicator people take your work seriously?
If I were to give feedback on a track and a dude said to me "take it seriously" I wouldn't go "it's good".
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby FLAOFEI » 27 Aug 2014 12:08

What LFP says could be true, but negative criticism isn't always that fun or useful. You should always try to b give positive feedback. I don't mean lie and say it's great if it isn't, but if you liked something you point it out. Mostly though you shouldn't point out problems without helping out with the solution.

I went to Rickys soundcloud (cause tbh, I never checked before :I ) and Ialthough I don't enjoy trap I thought the 2 newest tracks are pretty good. I don't know much about the genre though, and tbh I still don't enjoy trap, so I can't really give any feedback. Sounds good to me tho :/
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Stuntddude » 27 Aug 2014 13:39

I think the real lesson to be learned here is "don't ask strangers on the internet for critique, ask people who actually care about your and/or your work, and who at least passively care for your success."
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby ph00tbag » 27 Aug 2014 14:24

People who care too much may also be inclined to hold back because they don't want to hurt your feelings. The real problem with asking webfolk is that you may get someone who knows what they're talking about and knows how to impart that knowledge, or you may get someone who has no fucking clue except they think it sounds bad.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby FLAOFEI » 27 Aug 2014 17:16

Those are both valid reasons nott to trust internet critics, but when you don't know anyone with knowledge of the process of making music the internet is the only option. I don't even know anybody who listens to my kind of music. And many people I know don't even think electronic music is real music. If I want feedback I don't have anywhere else to turn :/
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
FLAOFEI

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 27 Aug 2014 19:03

Here what I think is weird about the furry forum and this one.
In regards to hypnotism, literally nobody has talked about the negative effects if it. Like, everyone is like "yea!! That's cool! Let me try!" And then later post "holy cow I was a dragon!"

But here, it's different. Like, I wonder why there is a lot more people here that are negative about it than on there. Literally 0 disliked the idea and there was at least 3 pages about it.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 27 Aug 2014 21:21

Because not many of us want to be horses, and most of us aren't willing to risk our mental health to do so.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Acsii » 28 Aug 2014 01:37

Hypnotists always say that it won't work unless you believe it will... just think about that for a sec...
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Stuntddude » 28 Aug 2014 05:43

Rule of thumb: If it "only works when you believe it will", then it probably doesn't work.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
Stuntddude

Postby eery » 28 Aug 2014 06:11

I unno, Im a fan of like hypnosis tapes, not like pony transformation ones, but just in general. I find it very relaxing to listen to, and it helps me sleep.

There is a basis in it, like you are the master of your own mind, so only you can decide what happens to it. Its nothing but relaxation and suggestive messages to alter your mind in a certain direction. If you dont want that direction, then you wont go in that direction.

Also, placebo is a welldocumented effect that proves you very much wrong, stuntdude.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby LFP » 28 Aug 2014 06:36

Stuntddude wrote:Rule of thumb: If it "only works when you believe it will", then it probably doesn't work.

That's not true, I could totally see that believing in the hypnosis being a major keystone to actually achieving hypnosis.
You can pretty much tell your mind anything as long as you believe it hard enough.

Back in the days of like world war 2 when cities where low on supplies they used to hand out small pills containing sugar instead of actual medicine claiming that it'll solve your headache or easy the pain in your leg etc.
They worked, but only on people who didn't know the truth and strongly believed that the pill would help you.
The sugar was there to enchance your trust on the pill as sugar is both tasty and makes you less tired for a little while, people mistook this for the pill beginning it's miracle medicine thing.

The most common reason for "losing your mind"/"becoming crazy" is when something traumatic which you can't handle happens like say your family dies (usually it has to be in a extreme way but let's not get into that), or being put in the prison cell where you only have walls and it's pitch black for a longer time (can't remember the English name for it), you become crazy because you just can't handle the truth and tell yourself otherwise such as you never had a family etc. the dangerous thing is when someone tells you about what really happened.

In regards to the furry forum being more acceptable towards hypnosis I think it has to do with that forum being more extreme than this one.
I wouldn't recommend hypnosis at all but that probably has to do with that I haven't tried it myself similar to how everyone says "drugs are bad" but the guy just tried drugs would probably say it's heaven while most likely arguing around the downsides.
Brony Music Directory
LFP

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 28 Aug 2014 06:52

LFP wrote:
Stuntddude wrote:Rule of thumb: If it "only works when you believe it will", then it probably doesn't work.

That's not true, I could totally see that believing in the hypnosis being a major keystone to actually achieving hypnosis.
You can pretty much tell your mind anything as long as you believe it hard enough.

Back in the days of like world war 2 when cities where low on supplies they used to hand out small pills containing sugar instead of actual medicine claiming that it'll solve your headache or easy the pain in your leg etc.
They worked, but only on people who didn't know the truth and strongly believed that the pill would help you.
The sugar was there to enchance your trust on the pill as sugar is both tasty and makes you less tired for a little while, people mistook this for the pill beginning it's miracle medicine thing.

The most common reason for "losing your mind"/"becoming crazy" is when something traumatic which you can't handle happens like say your family dies (usually it has to be in a extreme way but let's not get into that), or being put in the prison cell where you only have walls and it's pitch black for a longer time (can't remember the English name for it), you become crazy because you just can't handle the truth and tell yourself otherwise such as you never had a family etc. the dangerous thing is when someone tells you about what really happened.

In regards to the furry forum being more acceptable towards hypnosis I think it has to do with that forum being more extreme than this one.
I wouldn't recommend hypnosis at all but that probably has to do with that I haven't tried it myself similar to how everyone says "drugs are bad" but the guy just tried drugs would probably say it's heaven while most likely arguing around the downsides.

This is probably one of the best things I have heard anyone say about hypnotism as it is very down to earth
Bronies Are Cool

Postby ExoBassTix » 28 Aug 2014 08:17

I believe in the magic of friendship.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Freewave » 28 Aug 2014 08:34

BAC, the MLPforum has an extensive Tulpa thread and had a 192 page one for pony hypnosis, however both i personally think are complete wastes of time and aren't constructive ways to alter your mind... to be frank. :???: You just won't find such support on mlr as we're trying hard to get a well constructed mix and less on trying to convince ourselves that we're a cartoon horse or have invisible friends. :grin:

Small Vent
So after a much needed 7 day vacation in the woods, then spending a load of time in the last 3 days on music when i got home, finally launching a large musical group project this week (with the promise of weekly tracks)....my hard drive on my main pc completely died last night. :oops: Right before heading back to work. Feels like the irony in the song is smacking me directly in the face atmo.

I think i had just about everything important backed up (music projects, photos, samples, sound libraries, lots of software, music collection) but the idea of reinstalling a pc from scratch with all the same software required just sounds awful at this moment (especially with money tight). Part of me just wants to throw in the towel, see it as a sign to quit, and call it a day but I'm hoping maybe i can bounce back semi quick. Will see what life continues to throw at me.

See the luck I've had
Could make a good man turn bad
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby JSynth » 28 Aug 2014 10:10

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Here what I think is weird about the furry forum and this one.
In regards to hypnotism, literally nobody has talked about the negative effects if it. Like, everyone is like "yea!! That's cool! Let me try!" And then later post "holy cow I was a dragon!"

But here, it's different. Like, I wonder why there is a lot more people here that are negative about it than on there. Literally 0 disliked the idea and there was at least 3 pages about it.

It really depends on the area of hypnosis. I mean, watching people you know do goofy things at a hypnotist show never gets old. :lol: There is also hypnotherapy, which can be used to quit smoking or help with phobias. I had a teacher who used it to help with her arachnophobia. The weird parts are the things like pony hypnosis.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Stuntddude » 28 Aug 2014 14:54

eery wrote:Also, placebo is a welldocumented effect that proves you very much wrong, stuntdude.

Yes, we all know about the placebo effect. The difference is that some of us understand that something having a placebo effect does not mean it works. Quite the contrary - if, say, a medicine or treatment is shown to produce a very similar effect to a placebo, it means it doesn't work.

If you think that "proves me very much wrong," probably either you didn't understand my post or you don't understand the placebo effect.

LFP wrote:You can pretty much tell your mind anything as long as you believe it hard enough.

Belief is a product of the mind, not the other way around. What you believe is based on how you're informed - you can't just arbitrarily choose to believe something. Plus what you're saying is essentially "if you can make yourself believe something strongly enough, then you can make yourself believe it" - well no dip, Sherlock, but belief is not something that can be spontaneously wished into existence any more than (for instance) knowledge can.
Stuntddude

Postby ExoBassTix » 28 Aug 2014 15:05

I prefer "shit happened" over "shit happens," sorry.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby FLAOFEI » 28 Aug 2014 15:28

Oh Stuntdude, how do you know that? You are convinced the facts you know are true, you believe in them. Why? You learned from a trustworthy source. Do you believe you are infallible at judging what is a trustworthy source?

Anyway. Placebo is a term for medical effects without any chemical intervention. Hypnosis is a term for some sort of mind alteration thingy or something without chemical intervention. Pretty much the same thing :/
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Postby LFP » 28 Aug 2014 17:37

Stuntddude wrote:
LFP wrote:You can pretty much tell your mind anything as long as you believe it hard enough.

Belief is a product of the mind, not the other way around. What you believe is based on how you're informed - you can't just arbitrarily choose to believe something. Plus what you're saying is essentially "if you can make yourself believe something strongly enough, then you can make yourself believe it" - well no dip, Sherlock, but belief is not something that can be spontaneously wished into existence any more than (for instance) knowledge can.

I wouldn't necessarily say that what you believe is always based on how you're informed.
How would someone then be in denial of, say a traumatic experience.
I would say that counts as someone "just arbitrarily choosing to believe something".

What I meant to say with the text is that if you can make yourself believe something strongly enough, then you can make that your reality.
If my poor phrasing or choice of words deceived the message then I am sorry, I thought my little history texts explained it enough :P
Brony Music Directory
LFP

Postby ph00tbag » 28 Aug 2014 21:58

In matters of the mind and its connection with the body, things are less clear than that. The fact that reality can really only be interpreted through the mind means that your reality is whatever your mind tells you it is, and if your mind tells you you're a horse, then holy shit you're a horse.

And make no mistake; the altered states of consciousness that inceive these ideas are real. They are experiences validated by consistently replicated descriptions given by people who've experienced them, and neurologically, they have properties that are significantly distinct from your day-to-day conscious experience. And pretty consistently, their nature and intensity are highly dependent on initial conditions and receptiveness.

In general, however, mind-programming (and make no mistake, this is what any kind of psychonautical endeavor is, no matter how non-extreme) like hypnosis, or dianetics must be recognized as such, and given due respect. Like with any program, when changing a line of code, you need to make sure every routine that calls that line is able to handle the return. But with the mind, it's so much more complicated because there's so many more connections between everything.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion