Raspberry Pi

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Raspberry Pi

Postby Ocular » 03 May 2013 06:48

I was just thinking, and I have an idea.
How well do you all think it would work to build a hardware synthesizer out of a raspberry pi and a softsynth?
inactive
Ocular

Re: Raspberry Pi

Postby ExoBassTix » 03 May 2013 07:28

This sounds like a brilliant idea to me.
I don't really know what else to say though @_@
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Alycs » 03 May 2013 07:53

I was actually thinking about doing something like this earlier this week! But I don't have the time, so it'd be awesome to see what happens! Go for it

Make sure you get the soft-synth maker's permission first, thats the only thing I could say.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Ocular » 03 May 2013 08:12

Why would I need their permission? I'm not selling it, it'll be for personal convenience.
inactive
Ocular

Postby the4thImpulse » 03 May 2013 08:23

The point of a hardware synth is to have dedicated knobs, sliders, and possibly keys. I don't know much about raspberry pi but it seems redundant to have soft synth software running on an external computer 'just for the hell of it'. If you could tell me why you think it would be better, I'd like to know.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby the4thImpulse » 03 May 2013 09:36

TheBronyChip wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:The point of a hardware synth is to have dedicated knobs, sliders, and possibly keys. I don't know much about raspberry pi but it seems redundant to have soft synth software running on an external computer 'just for the hell of it'. If you could tell me why you think it would be better, I'd like to know.

the only advantage i can think of is to save your computers cpu

That is a valid point, but it doesn't take much of a computer (CPU) anymore to worry about needing to save resources. I have the $1000 model laptop of last year running my largest projects at no more than 50% CPU.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby DrSorkenstein » 03 May 2013 17:50

OP: Yes you could build a functional synth with the Pi.

Alternative 1: (Pi + MIDI keyboard)
Buy a Pi (version B with 2 USB ports), a monitor, a set of wireless mouse/keyboard and a MIDI keyboard. Install a softsynth, play the keyboard and record the output from the Pi back into your DAW.

Alternative 2: (MIDI data from your DAW into PI)
Same as above but instead of a MIDI keyboard you mod your Pi with a MIDI breakout board which will allow you to send MIDI data directly into the Pi (or so I understand).

I honestly can't see much of a reason to go with either unless you happen to have a spare monitor and wireless mouse/keyboard lying around. All you're basically doing is housing a plugin on hardware that requires extra periferals for you to be able to interact with it (keyboard/mouse/monitor). I have seen people building synths with the Pi that work without booting any OS but that involves modding as well as low level C coding.

I'd recommend checking out a synth kit or an arduino instead.
DrSorkenstein

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Sugarholik » 04 May 2013 06:56

the4thImpulse wrote:
TheBronyChip wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:sdfgshjfg

CPU
lol CPU sdfghjdsfghjsf $$$€€€£££

I have to mind the performance all the time as well.
Rgrds 400€ laptop.

Annnywayyy:
OP, if you made a MIDI controller of your own and hooked that to Pi it could be cool, but not necessarily worth the trouble.
DrSorkenstein wrote:arduino
Thanks for sharing! Looks really interesting.
Link for the lazy:
http://www.arduino.cc/
Holy fuck, it's been such a long time! Thanks all 'yall everyponies! If you're a familiar username on a nostalgia trip, I sincerely hope life's been treating you well. I've certainly had quite a journey! The ride never ends! <3

Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise

Postby Ocular » 31 May 2013 06:57

Bumping this thread. I'd like to hear some more interest before I actually buy anything.
inactive
Ocular

Return to Off-Topic Discussion