The Brony ARTIST Directory?

Non-music works of yours and others' making. Art, poetry, fimfics, and more. Member specific threads are encouraged (e.g. a sketchbook).

The Brony ARTIST Directory?

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 14:15

For those who hopefully know i run the Brony Musician Directory at http://bronymusic.com. I've been running that site for a long time now and one thing I've always considered wanting to do is do the same thing for visual brony art. I've encountered so many great artists in this fandom and while there's no shortage it would be nice to view a website where you could view a profile where they show you 4 of their thumbnails and get a quick idea of who they are and what their art style is and links to their sites. I would want to keep some of the same blog and profile formatting so there's consistency and a bit of a network between the two sites.

What I WOULD need is a team to help run the website. I would be looking for people who are very much interested in the brony art community and actively blogging about it. I think it would be much easier to be uploading 4 images vs 4 embeds and continuing in letting artists submit their own profiles to make it easier to add to the site. The brony art scene is a bit bigger, more unified, and active so i think there would be a good demand for it (if there is nothing out there already that i've overlooked) and it would also work well with the music directory as well.

Is anyone interested in joining such efforts? Again this is something for people who want to feel active in the brony art community and have the time and the will. I've been a blogger for years so it's part of my dna at this point but I'd expect you to have some dedication and hopefully blogspot/blog experience (which can always be taught).

I have a quick mockup of the site already in place and an accompanying tumblr but it still needs a bit more work (extra links on the side, better use of entry space, and of course more profiles)
http://bronyartistdirectory.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you want to join up OR if you see any problems or recommendations with this plan....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: The Brony ARTIST Directory?

Postby S.P.P » 20 Jul 2013 16:31

I have literally zero experience with this sort of thing. Although, it wouldn't take me long at all to learn.
Anyways, i think this is a really good idea and I'd like to help out here. Ive usually got atleast some free time, and I'm certain I have the will to put in some effort.

If you want me on board that'd be great, if not then good luck with it. :]
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 16:38

PYR3LIGHT wrote:I have literally zero experience with this sort of thing. Although, it wouldn't take me long at all to learn.
Anyways, i think this is a really good idea and I'd like to help out here. Ive usually got atleast some free time, and I'm certain I have the will to put in some effort.

I'd love to get you on board!! Just shoot me a pm with your email address and I can get out a blogger invite to you shortly. Also get me your skype id (mine's Freewave) and Lore and I will likely try to get you up to speed on how to post on there. It's really not that hard and we're not asking for hours of time from anybody. We'll likely keep a BA skype chat rolling like we do BMD. :D
Freewave

Postby LoreRD » 20 Jul 2013 16:50

PYR3LIGHT wrote:I have literally zero experience with this sort of thing. Although, it wouldn't take me long at all to learn.

Happy to have you as part of the team!
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 17:04

How I am thinking of making the post format is
1. Artist Name (post title)
2. Links (DA,FA, tumblrs, and any sites)
3. Location (no age this time around)
4. Writeup by staff BUT would prefer a paragraph BY the artist themself about who they are and what they do.
5. Link to or post about their permission policy (is it ok to use their art?)
6. Link to their commission page if they have one or do so (a selling point to artists, literally)
7. 4 pictures (chosen by the artist or us)

We can do additional info or details if people think they are appropriate. I have also added dditional tags for type of art (pony, anthro, humanized) but can expand those as needed or requested.

I have also created a similarly named tumblr that i would afterwards copy to and post from any of the blogspot html. That was people could follow on either site and those who'd rather subscribe and view artist profiles on their tumblr accounts instead could do so. The blogspot will always be easier to search and look alphabetically which the tumblr cannot do.
Freewave

Postby LoreRD » 20 Jul 2013 17:09

Freewave wrote:How I am thinking of making the post format is
1. Artist Name (post title)
2. Links (DA,FA, tumblrs, and any sites)
3. Location (no age this time around)
4. Writeup by staff BUT would prefer a paragraph BY the artist themself about who they are and what they do.
5. Link to or post about their permission policy (is it ok to use their art?)
6. Link to their commission page if they have one or do so (a selling point to artists, literally)
7. 4 pictures (chosen by the artist or us)

We can do additional info or details if people think they are appropriate. I have also added dditional tags for type of art (pony, anthro, humanized) but can expand those as needed or requested.

I have also created a similarly named tumblr that i would afterwards copy to and post from any of the blogspot html. That was people could follow on either site and those who'd rather subscribe and view artist profiles on their tumblr accounts instead could do so. The blogspot will always be easier to search and look alphabetically which the tumblr cannot do.

Worked for Brony Musician Directory, and I think it'll work here. Linking directly to their commission page is a great addition too IMO
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Tasorrog » 20 Jul 2013 18:09

If you need someone to design stuff for the site or design the site just tell me :)
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 18:29

Sure take a look at the site, what would you currently suggest at this point or have in mind? Again I still need to fill out a bit of stuff as its a bit minimal right now.
Freewave

Postby Tasorrog » 20 Jul 2013 18:57

I'll make some doodle in photoshop later, it's 2:57 here so sleepy time now
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio

Postby Freewave » 21 Jul 2013 14:30

Ha np man, sleep well.
Freewave

Postby Acsii » 24 Jul 2013 03:59

Hope I'm not too late but I'd like to offer my resources to help with this Freewave :)
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Freewave » 24 Jul 2013 07:24

Actually i have an update on this and we're going to delay going forth with this for the time being. I'm still solidly behind the idea of the brony artist directory but I'm going to postpone launching it on blogspot. Talked to my friend Feld0 who runs mlpforums and he will actually help design a database for it and a custom form so that artists can fill out fields and enter stuff themselves with a lot more functionality built in and will tie in with their existing system there. That won't happen until mid-late august but am hoping we can launch it at that time and it will have adequate community support. I'll let anyone know when it launches!
I may still want some assistance THEN sending out invites to artists and getting the word out. :)
Freewave

Mr.Afrox

Postby Mr.Afrox » 31 Jul 2013 02:48

nice ill be participating :3
Last edited by Mr.Afrox on 31 Jul 2013 02:54, edited 2 times in total.
Mr.Afrox

Primary: FL STUDIO 11.04

Postby Acsii » 31 Jul 2013 02:50

Afrox this is not a thread to post your artist info... it is a thread for getting help to work on the site...
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Mr.Afrox » 31 Jul 2013 02:54

thanks bro didnt know :3
Mr.Afrox

Primary: FL STUDIO 11.04

Postby Acsii » 31 Jul 2013 02:55

Just gonna say if you read the thread you would know
Acsii

Postby ganondox » 17 Aug 2013 12:10

I think the music community is more unified, and because there is much, much more artists it would be harder to manage than the music directory. The genres in visual art also aren't as clean as they are in music. However, I'm not against the idea by any means, just that I think it will be significantly harder to do.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Freewave » 17 Aug 2013 13:13

This idea has been postponed and will likely be something initiated thru poniverse and mlp forums.
http://bronyartistdirectory.blogspot.com/
I still need to talk to feld0 and see if he's ready to implement a form there to host it.
Freewave

Return to Pony Fan Works Gossip