New and Latest Episode Thread

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: New and Latest Episode Thread

Postby ClaviSound » 11 Jan 2014 16:01

itroitnyah wrote:Pinkie was less crazy this episode, and the crazy wasn't quite as over exaggerated as it usually is. And the episode wasn't rushed, either. Overall it was OK.

The reason why it wasn't rushed is because of the very simple A to B plot, so they had plenty of room for pacing. Really, the episode could have been five minutes if you just wanted to resolve the matter.

Honestly, I think that while this episode can't qualify as a "great" in the vein of Flight to the Finish or the season 2 premiere, it's really solid.

Spoiler thpoiluhz:
The lack of definitive answer at the end disappoints me, but even if Pinkie Pie had turned out related it's so far removed I don't think it matters much anyway. That said, this is yet another unresolved plot point, and these things seem to keep compounding. First the shadow pony, then the comic book, then the fang, then the rainbow thread, now the possibility of Pinkie being related to Applejack... it's like, what are they even doing? Because the more elements you put into something, the harder it is to pull it off sufficiently, let alone spectacularly. I'm really hoping they have some brilliance in store to resolve all these things, because I'm really worried that it just won't work. And that's not because I don't think they have the capability, it's the opposite: I think they do have the capability, so the possibility of them not pulling it off when they have the ability to do so would be so incredibly disappointing.

Speaking strictly in terms of this episode, however, if there was ever a followup to Rarity Takes Manehattan, this one stands its ground pretty well, even if it doesn't quite match the episode prior.

The song was good, I'm expecting remixes.

I give this an 8.5/10. Then again, I tend to rate via the four point scale, so take that as you will.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby simonli2575 » 11 Jan 2014 17:55

The episode was ok, though it made me hate Pinkie Pie even more.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby ph00tbag » 12 Jan 2014 07:46

I fucking hate the Eagles, man.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby simonli2575 » 12 Jan 2014 16:09

Yeah, how dare they always grab the animals that just steals stuff you throw into the river, preventing you from getting them again?
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby Jokeblue » 15 Jan 2014 20:13

SO A future episode thing! Can we put those here? I DON'T CARE I'M DOING IT ANYWAY!!

Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Alycs » 16 Jan 2014 08:45

Jokeblue wrote:SO A future episode thing! Can we put those here? I DON'T CARE I'M DOING IT ANYWAY!!

There better be a song with him in it and it better be the most BS cover of Winter Wrap up ever
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Jokeblue » 16 Jan 2014 17:28

Alycs wrote:
Jokeblue wrote:SO A future episode thing! Can we put those here? I DON'T CARE I'M DOING IT ANYWAY!!

There better be a song with him in it and it better be the most BS cover of Winter Wrap up ever

Oh forgot to mention this. I actually read somewhere on EQD that there's a high chance the episode will be a musical. It may have been more than a high chance too, and possibly more of a definitely.

Jokeblue

Postby JSynth » 18 Jan 2014 13:44

Well, it's nice to see Derpy again. I've been wondering if she was going to make an appearance this season. It seemed that none had made any sightings so far.

Also breathe.

Anyway, the one thing that kept bothering me was the attitude of the wonderbolts. It seemed strange considering the ending of the wonderbolt academy made a big deal about the wonderbolts being about fair play. It just seemed out of character.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby ClaviSound » 18 Jan 2014 21:24

Spoiler Rainbow Falls:
-First off, that rainbow eye thing... HMM, GEE, I WONDER HOW MANY MORE TIMES THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN THIS SEASON. I'D GUESS FOUR BUT THERE'S NO WAY THAT COULD EVER BE CORRECT, AMIRITE?

-Man, I like Spitfire, but she was being a jerk this episode. "Winning ponies," really? Jeez, could it get any clearer that they have inflated egos? Ditto to the Cloudsdale team pony with the whistle (Fleetfoot?). And what's all this about making it very obvious they prefer RD over Soarin', but still haven't added her to the Wonderbolts roster? What do you want Spitfire, a cookie?!

-Apparently the voice of Nappa from Dragonball Z voiced Snowfl- I mean, Bulk Biceps this episode (my mind screams at me to type Snowflake, gah). Not really anything plot-relevant, just an interesting thing I guess.

-Perhaps it's because I joined the fandom mid-2012 after Derpy became an intense subject of debate, but I've never seen the appeal in her appearances. I like her, just don't see the point in making a big deal (or any deal) about it.

-Not... really sure what to make of this episode on the whole. It kind of just happened, to me, as opposed to following a streamlined progression from beginning to end. I don't know whether that's a bad thing or a good thing, and I'm not sure if I'll ever reconcile which it is.

-What is up with Sn- Bulk Biceps not being able to fly? Wasn't he just fine (or at least, not struggling) during Wonderbolt Academy? And for that matter, why did Rainbow Dash recruit Sno- BULK BICEPS and Fluttershy, of all ponies, as the best fliers in Ponyville? I mean yeah, they do explain away a few otherwise better fliers at the beginning of the episode, but seriously? Seriously?

-You know, it was pretty obvious that they were going to qualify by a smidgen, but hey, for once I think I'm okay with it. This episode simultaneously continued the rainbow arc and the Equestrian Games arc, and added commentary on Rainbow's position in the Wonderbolts.I guess I'll say I liked the episode, even if I don't think I can pass full verdict on it until we see these arcs concluded.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby itroitnyah » 18 Jan 2014 23:51

Mmmk, so Dash probably could have gone with Twi as the second flier other than the steriod pumping buff biceps.

Lel, why does spitfire's voice change every episode?

Fluttershy seems a bit like a narrator of kindness. Pretty boring.

Soarin's voice sounds a bit different from the last episode I recall hearing him in too.

Also, why do they have trains but not cars. And why does the ambulance have an invisible siren.

So dash helps the wonderbolts and then they instantly turn villain. What is up with that, lol

The cheerleaders for the wonderbolts seem very snooty.

Buff Biceps is best pony.

Ok, so the writers seem to be overexaggerating every pony. It's getting p.annoying.

queue the magical story turner. Jeez, soarin's line in the hospital should have been enough for dash to make up her mind.

Ok, so the scream at 17:17ish legitimately made me pause the video so I could laugh. It was fucking hilarious.

Then magically the wonderbolt's hearts are turned as the plot of the story comes around. because what goes around comes around *queue Justin Timberlake*
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby simonli2575 » 19 Jan 2014 04:09

In this episode, Pinkie Pie becomes more annoying, Rainbow Dash becomes more loyal to her friends, stuff happened and everything was k.
Also, could that Wonderbolt pin be foreshadowing something? Everything at the end of every episode that we've seen has been leading up to nothing - the shadow, Fluttershy's vampire tooth, Rarity's newly-found rainbow strings, etc.
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 Jan 2014 08:07

I only just caught Episode 11. It was pretty good. Nothing spectacular but it had enough appeal to win me over.

Also fucking Bulk Bicept man...his canon personality was actually kinda fun. also it was kinda neat to see distance shots of him and Flutters just doing random stuff. I found that kinda amusing.

*obligotory mention of Derpy*

I'm actually happy to see her back. Like, I wasn't terribly upset over the shitstorm-I-won't-mention but I've always been kinda fond of her as a fan character* and a little where's waldo kinda thing.

*no I'm not calling her canon appearences a fan characterization
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Jokeblue » 20 Jan 2014 08:05

SCREW EVERYTHING I'MA DO ANOTHER RUNNING REVIEW/COMMENTARY THING.

Spoiler Episode 10 - Rainbow Fall:
- Snowflake Bulk Biceps? D: His voice reminds me of Solrac. His personality reminds me of Randy Savage
- Oh my gosh. The animation is actually superb. It's making Flutters ultra adorbs.
- I don't want to say it. That face Dash pulls before counting down? awldjkalalksfj;a
- Bulk Biceps' entire physiology is a perfect lesson on why you shouldn't skip leg day. You'd think a Pegasus would have actually put effort into wing muscle. Also, wasn't he flying without problem in Wonderbolt Academy? The hells going on there?
- Oh I didn't realise Zecora was in the intro.
...I miss Zecora. She needs more screen-time.
- Thunderlane doesn't sound all that convincing in his "oh too bad I can't be on your team" line. Helia does though.
- After Flutters was freed from being trapped under BB, I was about to call best pony but then RARITY SHOWED UP YAAAY
- Applejack must have cooked way too much of everything. She's shamelessly trying to get rid of all of it.
- The Wonderbolts are competing? Having the lands Most Talented Flying Squad altogether flying for one place seems a bit unfair to everyone else. Also Fleetfoots voice is weird.
- Also just realised that BB and Flutters are opposites of each other but also extremely similar at the same time.
- And seriously, Fluttershy and BB are the ONLY flyers ponyville could provide? Even after being shown as a very multicultural settlement with many different types of pony, Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy are the two best choices for a race, even after Fluttershy has been shown to be a very weak flyer? Not buying it.
- Spitfires voice sounds... different....again? Her first voice was the best one.
- "P IS FOR RAINBOW DAASSHHH"
"...Rainbow dash actually starts with an r..."
"OH. NEVERMIIINNDDD."
I lol'd xD
- Tell me, why haven't they just made Dash a Wonderbolt yet? She's clearly proven herself multiple times and on so many occasions. They even recognize her as a good enough replacement for one of their own. Why haven't they given her an offer yet? (with that question forget the logical answer like "they're holding out til the show ends to let her reach her dreams")
- Also, why are the Wonderbolts so manipulative and selfish? They never seemed like the kind of group to be portrayed as a show 'villain', so why sully the name of the honorable(?) team we've been shown before hand? They changed a lot during Wonderbolt Academy and they're changing even more now. But are they actually changing or are they always like this?
- Oh hey, it's Minuette!
- Dash probably should have developed an alibi before climbing in a wheelchair.
- And I disagree with Simon. I think Pinkie's been pretty funny this episode
............Ditzy Doo!! :D
I am really glad she's back and in full, too. She actually gets a place in the show without being an easter egg or a walking disability shitstorm.
- The animation in this episode is pretty top notch.
- It seems really dickish of the wonderbolts to have not been honest with Soarin. I honestly wouldn't have guessed that from them.
- I am totally unopposed to this "Rainbow Power" thing that seems to be the underlying progression this season.
- Ditzy ain't even mad :3
- "I was never hurt in the first place." WHAT A TWISSSSTTT
- OMG THAT SCREAM AT ROUGHLY 17:54 xD That was amazing xD And Ditzy's face hahaha
- SPITFIRE Y U CHANGE SO MUCH
- Dash is a better flyer than Soarin? Kewl.
- When I first saw that screenshot at the end of all of them up on that podium I had no idea that that was twilight. I didn't recognize her at all.

What I thought of the episode?

It was a good episode. I liked it. Good to see that Rainbow's lesson was actually about Loyalty, too. There was an argument made by one of those analysis guys on Youtube that Applejack and Rainbow Dash should have had their elements swapped around, which is actually an extremely valid analysis of both characters traits up until the end of season 3. But even though this episode showcased Rainbow's sense of Loyalty well, it still could have worked as an episode of honesty.

Jokeblue

Postby Facade » 20 Jan 2014 10:47

guys i think they might be hinting at what the keys are but the real question is

whats in the box? ._.
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby simonli2575 » 20 Jan 2014 11:26

Spoiler page-stretching image:
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby Facade » 20 Jan 2014 14:04

i saw that coming a mile away
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby ph00tbag » 21 Jan 2014 10:53

Spoiler things:
Bulk Biceps is... eh. I mean, he's not bad, but it's like a constant gag that won't go away. While everypony else seems to be a consistent character (hell, even Derpy has a personality this episode), Bulk Biceps just seems to be a charicature put in for gags.

I'm really intrigued by that Griffon team. I hope we see more of them down the road.

I'm not sure how to feel about the Wonderbolts suddenly being dicks. "They don't have to know"? Really? I feel like the Wonderbolts have been built up as this great goal for Rainbow Dash, but they're slowly turning into a squad of elitist punks. Maybe there's a greater lesson in this about dreams not always matching to reality, but I feel like, since the indication has been pretty clear that the Wonderbolts are pretty much on RD's trajectory, they should be a tad more upstanding. Then again, the suggestion seems to be that RD is better than the Wonderbolts already, and her inclusion will not only fulfill her dreams, but improve the quality of the Wonderbolts as a squad.

All in all, I think just a team of regular ponies from Cloudsdale would have made more sense.

For some reason, Rainbow Dash's little drama play just didn't sit well with me. I just get really frustrated when characters in shows humiliate themselves for the sake of the plot.

Well, overall, I don't think the episode was a bad one. Pacing was fine, lesson was well-communicated thematically, animation was stellar, yadda yadda. There's just a lot of things that bothered me about the episode.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby simonli2575 » 21 Jan 2014 13:34

ph00tbag wrote:
Spoiler things:
1. Bulk Biceps is... eh. I mean, he's not bad, but it's like a constant gag that won't go away.

2. I'm really intrigued by that Griffon team. I hope we see more of them down the road.

For some reason, Rainbow Dash's little drama play just didn't sit well with me. I just get really frustrated when characters in shows humiliate themselves for the sake of the plot.

Spoiler Spoilerific response:
1. I know right? Whenever he's shouting, it's like he's trying way too hard to sound manly.

2. Unfortunately they're just part of the background at this time.
On a side note, I wonder if we'll ever see Gilda come back, whether it be sorry for being a dick or for revenge.

Also for some reason, when I saw that Rainbow Dash was faking injury to not choose a side, I felt mentally sick. I don't really know why though.
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby ph00tbag » 21 Jan 2014 19:51

simonli2575 wrote:
Spoiler Spoilerific response:
Also for some reason, when I saw that Rainbow Dash was faking injury to not choose a side, I felt mentally sick. I don't really know why though.

I felt pretty much the same way. It's a way I always react to characters willfully embarrassing themselves for the sake of a gag.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Fl Brony » 25 Jan 2014 15:07

http://imgur.com/VAGE81y (Can't get of the buttons to work)

ITS MR STEAL YO GURL
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby simonli2575 » 25 Jan 2014 15:10

Lesson of the day: Prank your friend and karma will hunt you down.
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Jan 2014 23:45

I really liked this episode. First off, cuz Discord is fucking great. Discord has to be my favorite character. Ever.

The whole twi/cadence spending the day together thing seemed a bit... Scripted. Which may sound ironic, and it is. The characters themselves seemed to, for the most part, stick to their character and who they were (excluding pinkie. Although we didn't see a whole lot of her in this episode). But the whole Twi spending time with Cadence sounded really cheap and cheesy.

One again though. Discord. Fucking great. And the DIscordxFluttershy ship is setting sail with the episode as well, haha.
itroitnyah

Postby simonli2575 » 26 Jan 2014 02:46

itroitnyah wrote:The whole twi/cadence spending the day together thing seemed a bit... Scripted. Which may sound ironic, and it is. The characters themselves seemed to, for the most part, stick to their character and who they were (excluding pinkie. Although we didn't see a whole lot of her in this episode).

Well it's still a show for little girls, it's something you should expect to see.
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
simonli2575

Postby ph00tbag » 26 Jan 2014 18:46

The song! The fucking song! Holy shit. Like...

This episode blew my goddamn mind. Like, from a depth of concept perspective, it wasn't blow you away phenomenal, like Rarity Takes Manehattan, but just the density of gags, the whole subtle suggestion that Discord is really just lonely (and maybe a little--holy shit he's jealous!), and does his thing as a selfish way of acting out, but winds up providing just the thing Cadance wanted out of her time with Twilight, even though he really couldn't have cared less about it.... ugh.

I love this episode. Love, love, love it.

Fl Brony wrote:http://imgur.com/VAGE81y (Can't get of the buttons to work)

ITS MR STEAL YO GURL

I was happy to see this one, personally. I think he checked Twilight out as he was getting back in the train. No response from Twilight, tho. :\
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby itroitnyah » 01 Feb 2014 12:17

The song at the beginning of this episode wasn't all that incredibly. They tried to do sorta a disney style song where the main character is singing about a scenario or something, and it just didn't work out very well.

So far, Cheese Sandwich is +1 from me.

However, Cheese is turning out to be a sorta male version of Pinkie. I'm only a few minutes into the episode, but I sincerely hope that they don't ruin him like they have with Pinkie.

The lines for the mane six, excluding Dash and Pinkie seem very, well, cheesy to be exact. They're just standard cliches for the characters.

Haha, 11:40 fuck logic

And then the goofball competition was frankly... Uh, I don't know. It was just... there.

And then when Pinkie declared Cheese the winner and then began walking away, queue the sorry-kiss-ass-friends train. I can't say that there was really any surprise in this episode.

The rest of the episode was pretty much uninteresting.

Overall one of my least favorite episodes of season 4. However, the episode wasn't rushed, so that's good.
itroitnyah

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic