How'd You Become A Brony?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: How'd You Become A Brony?

Postby Gersh66 » 18 Jul 2011 12:35

I found out about ponies through Twitter amazingly. I follow Renard and he kept posting pictures and stuff. I kept thinking "What the hell is he talking about." This kept happening until he posted a link to WWU, and I finally caved and watched that episode. I was confused about what was going on, so stopped part of the way through and watched ep.1-"Over a Barrel" (idk what ep that is).
~Gersh
~http://gersh-tunes.tumblr.com/
Gersh66

Postby Circuitfry » 20 Jul 2011 02:42

Gersh66 wrote:and watched ep.1-"Over a Barrel" (idk what ep that is).

Oh, you.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Gersh66 » 20 Jul 2011 09:13

Circuitfry wrote:
Gersh66 wrote:and watched ep.1-"Over a Barrel" (idk what ep that is).

Oh, you.

I know, I don't even know which ep is which. I AM SO AWFUL!! :oops:
~Gersh
~http://gersh-tunes.tumblr.com/
Gersh66

Postby FoozogzPepperBrony » 22 Jul 2011 13:57

Saw older MLP. Changed channel instantly. Went "ew, baby shows."
Flash forward to college. My friend's friend came over to the cafeteria table we were at and opened his laptop, talking to my friend about his addiction to ponies. My friend commented how interesting his wallpaper was. I was curious and asked him if I could see his wallpaper. This was his wallpaper:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/ ... 3cdi3m.jpg

I was like "...interesting."

Then I watched THE ENTIRE SERIES IN ONE DAY >D
DAW: Ableton
HELLO, OLD FRIENDS~
FoozogzPepperBrony

Postby Omnipony » 05 Aug 2011 19:38

Heard about it on the webz, didn't care much. I was already a furry, what more did I want?

Went to the Christian Camp; Word Of Life Island, cabin mate told me about Derpy Hooves, got a bit interested. Met a staff member who's favorite Pony was Pinkie Pie, got even More interested. Finally on the last day of camp, met a cool guy who's favorite pony was.. Fluttershy, got SUPER interested. Went home that night, and sat my ass down to watch every single episode. Did not regret.
Bamdcanp
Newgrewds
Yutube
Sodclod

wooden toster is smelly
Omnipony

Primary: Fableton
Cutie Mark: a hot ass

Postby bartekko » 24 Aug 2011 16:34

Long story short:
I've been a long Knowyourmeme.com lurker, since, like.... 2009? something like that
started seeing more pony stuff around beginning of 2011.
didn't care much, thought like "another meme. nothing to care about more than usual.
But it kept growing.
After some time it was like 1/4 th of kym was poni.
So i started caring more about Pony
Then there was Luna Game. And it was like the impulse to watch pony.
I've drawn some fanart (where the hell it is i don't know, and that's why digitality is better)
and got some time, watched about each every episode in a single weekend
at "Best Night Ever" there was a comment saying something along the lines "darnit, I hope equestriadaily.com will keep me from <in don't remember> 'till season 2 comes out

and anypony remember when was the newbie artist training grounds? I miss those, partially because one of them was the very first thing i saw on eqd
dang, memories
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby HertzDevil » 27 Aug 2011 15:41

Saw ‽π's subs skyrocketed.
Thought "what the shitting fuck".
Saw ‽π's subs skyrocketed again.
Said "what the shitting fuck".
Saw ‽π's subs skyrocketed AGAIN.
Said "FINE."
Watched Remix War II playlist.
Said "holy shit"
Alienated my audience on deviantART.
BLATANT RIPOFF

However I felt insecure until somepony put Touhou and Pony together. Hmmm.
HERTZDEVIL IS NOT SECRETLY JAKE KAUFMAN OKAY
HertzDevil

Postby ArcaneSpark » 04 Sep 2011 07:41

Step 1: Hear a song on radio 1 (Oasis - WonderWall)
Step 2: Recognise the lyrics of this song, in another song.
Step 3: Search music collection for the song with these lyrics in.
Step 4: Fail; Google it.
Step 5: Find song (Renard - Sinistar).
Step 6: Browse Youtube related videos.
Step 7: Find another song (Avast Your Ass).
Step 8: Take up the suggestion of the top rated comment, and search for 'Avast Fluttershy's Ass.'
Step 9: Browse PMVs for a few days.
Step 10: Watch episode 1.
Step 11: Realise this show is actually good.
Step 12: Realise this show is AWESOME.
Step 13: ???????
Step 14: Become a brony.
ArcaneSpark

Postby Andy Feelin » 04 Sep 2011 07:53

was reading random pages on lurkmore.ru
found the article about MLP
thought that the fun is about drawing some living persons in pony style
made my first ponies with pony generator and first photoshop stuff (without watching the show)
was not satisfied
my friend invited me for a horse riding
got excited about horses
reread the lurkmore.ru article about MLP
"Fine, let's see what's this thing about"
got addicted
although it took me more than 2 weeks to watch all the episodes and I even attended Moscow brony meet-up without having watched the 26th episode
on the meet-up we were singing "Luna" by Eurobeat Brony
heard about Remix War
am here
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby Applejinx » 12 Sep 2011 08:55

OK, this is gonna seem a bit backwards, and forgive me for how much of it there is...

I started trying to write songs with lyrics, many years ago, but I couldn't cope with it because I was a prog-rock kid but all the songs I wrote insisted on being country, and I was like D: and ran away from them like they were on fire.

A couple books ago (I'm a writer/music furry) I came up with a character who was real folksy. Wrote him into the book and found his manner of speaking REAL comfortable.

Started going to (furry) conventions and quickly discovered that I wanted to help out- by now I've run sound for some of the biggest cons. I would be on time (most furries ain't!) and bust my hooves (well, paws, at the time) to get it together. I would try to deal with the fact that seemingly nobody else would make the effort, and I would try to deal gracefully with the normal apathy and thanklessness you get doing things for people, but still thought that I 'should' want a bunch of public recognition and stuff.

I would drive to these cons for fourteen hours and up at a stretch, seeing double and shaking my head (no lie) to clear it, learning that yeah- you do that, it helps for a moment and then it makes it worse, trust me. But I would get through, always, every time.

Sometime during the daily (furry, grimdark n yiffy) comic I did for over a year and 442 updates, I got to burning scented candles (Yankee Candle, best ones) to get a vibe. Though frankly the only ones worth a damn for giving me inspiration and lettin' my brain work were apple ones, notably Farmhouse Apple. I am not making that up and this was in what, 2008? I have some sitting two feet from me right now.

Meanwhile, I would be running my own business selling audio plugins, (yes, while trying to draw a daily comic) and would bust my hooves to help my customers and give them things (still do!), doing things like giving out ten grand worth of stuff as free updates because I'd promised I would. People got to noticing that, and it still pays my mortgage. Didn't leave much time for anything else and I remain single and too proud to do much of anything about it, but always had a weakness for elfin spunky girls who were real tomboy and feisty- not that I saw where _I_ fit into that, exactly, but I remained stubborn on that front as well.

I abandoned the comic (for the time being) and wrote a 160K word novel in a little over a year because I was like 'Yay, I don't have to draw anything!'. Having finished it I began another in the same universe, that was even more grimdark, something I'm pretty good at, because what would I do if I wasn't taking on ridiculously huge projects? I would wish they got me more affection and encouragement, I would sulk, I would keep doing 'em anyway because I had like twenty daily readers from what was once three hundred daily comic readers, and I wasn't gonna let those twenty readers down.

Turns out I get suicidal celiac depression from eatin' wheat gluten, so I had to cut it out and feel much better now, but I was doing all that without a will to live, bit in teeth, not giving up.

And THEN I discovered the new My Little Pony- and began to look into the characters, before rightly watchin' much of the actual show. And then I watched the show!

I AM (an) Applejack, walking around on human feet (more's the pity). I am not the prettiest pony- or the cleverest, or the sweetest, or the most heroic- but by GOD I do know what I am, and there are people who like that (on the show, and for real). And I'm now keepin' an eye out for meetin' a Dashie, because my one-true-shipping is AppleDash. I'm actually running a furry record label with a Dashie in the furry fandom- I sit at the dealer table at cons for the entire time dealer's room is open without a break, and the Dashie runs around being awesome and is much more widely noticed and idolized than me, and dividing the labor and talents up that way works just fine. (He also DJs and pulled the biggest DJ dance crowd, at the biggest furry con (Anthrocon) of anybody ever. And I knew all along that he could :D )

That's my story, and you music ponies are the first to hear it XD
Applejinx

Postby Ropony » 16 Sep 2011 20:57

Sometime around January or so i started noticing all the pony avatars popping up on just about every forum on the internet, i had never really given it a second thought until one day i saw a banner ad on the somethingawful forums linking to the MLP thread there. After reading the very convincing OP there i decided to watch a couple episodes. I must admit though, i wasn't really convinced after the first couple episodes due to myself resisting it, but after each episode i watched i thought "one more can't hurt". After about the 7th or so episode i watched, i stopped resisting and accepted the fact that i, too, had become a brony. I'm very glad i kept an open mind and kept watching it, cause now it's one of my favorite things in life.
Ropony

Postby thejaws13 » 28 Sep 2011 21:59

i became a brony when i saw the scene where rarity was falling and rainbow dash made a sonic rainboom and saved her then i got curious and watched the first episode and i loved it.
thejaws13

Postby SuperGiantRobot » 28 Sep 2011 22:46

I don't prefer to call myself a brony. I'm a fan, I'm just going to be one on my own terms.

And mine was Fluttershy's first "yay". Something in me broke and I felt truly happy.
SuperGiantRobot

Postby PokeBrony649 » 30 Sep 2011 15:32

Some friends of mine at school were all talking about it. At first I was like WTF! Then they showed me the first minute of the last episode. I started watching the episodes around May I think. I watched mainly when nopony was around since my family doesn't know I'm a brony yet. I still don't understand how I can to like this show so much, but I don't really care anymore. If anything it was the remixs all you bronies out there do. I love them so much and I never want to stop listening to them. Keep up the good work. And that's my boring account on how I became a brony.
Ponies are the best thing to happen to me since Pokemon and music.
PokeBrony649

Postby WoodenToaster » 30 Sep 2011 17:23

I watched the show.
WoodenToaster

Postby Howlgram » 01 Oct 2011 16:59

Around the internetz i saw that suddenly a lot of cute ponies were very popular, i ignored it at first wondering why could that be, but they were just too popular, so i had to see it for myself. And then
Episode 1 - hmm, not that bad ...oh noes, nightmaremoon! :O
Episode 2 - yay! ok, just one more episode
Episode 3 - Omg this show is AWESOME! ^^
*brohoof*
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Postby Darktrot » 14 Oct 2011 19:22

Wow How did I?
About 6 months is ago my friend sent me this youtube link.
"dude watch it you will never be the same again. I promise" (Show opener)
I watch... I am Epic Confused.
i read /b/ I am ever more confused.
I watch the pilot.
My face: =D OMG MEGA-AWESOME-SUPER-FUCKING-SHITFACED
End of story.
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Tephnos » 15 Oct 2011 14:09

Late August, a friend online showed me one of the later episodes of the first season. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. Cue late September and I ask for the link to it again so I can watch them all.

I changed that day.
Tephnos

Postby MiuMiuChuu » 23 Oct 2011 03:45

At first I was wondering on why ponies started to appear enormously on tumblr posts....
Not so long after that, my friend who had became a brony spreads his brony love around and I was infected. I didn't grow up with My Little Pony when I was a kid, so perhaps this is also a chance for me to fill up the "Little Girls Love Ponies" childhood I missed. :P

I do start from G4 but I seem to love the franchise in a whole now and start to look for old generation pony collection...
MiuMiuChuu

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Weird kind

Postby Solarsail » 23 Oct 2011 15:28

I was linked to Winter Wrap Up first, then I watched the episode with it in, and then the Pilot.

Then I listened to the entire soundtrack.

Then I spent the following year listening to what fans have made from it and I still am. The show is good but the content from the community (art, stories, music, randomness) is much deeper.

I'm not sure where people's initial prejudice against girls' cartoons comes from; there is good media and bad media and once I'd read that people considered it to be the former I didn't need anything else. I think childrens' content is actually where a lot of good ideas come from these days; there are few adult books as ubiquitous as Harry Potter or films as the earlier Disney ones.
Solarsail

Postby Calamus_Dash » 01 Nov 2011 16:19

Have I posted on this yet? No?
It started, for me, in July, when a friend of mine who had moved south during middle school was visiting for a few weeks over the summer. He unashamedly sang winter wrap up while we were playing videogames at his aunt's house, and i vaguely remember seeing ponies on /b/ before that and thinking "wow, the fetishes that people get into these days are pretty weird". Anyway, I wrote him off as a bit strange for being obsessed with a little girl's tv show, and I even got pissed at him for forcing me to watch an episode with him, which I didn't like (disclaimer: it was party of one, which is now one of my favorite episodes). To be honest, the real reason, I think, that I didn't like it, was because I was too worried that someone would walk into the room and see what we were watching (I used to be really self-conscious about stuff like that)
Anyway, a few days passed and I was lurking on KYM when the pony article caught my eye. I decided to watch the pilot for the hell of it, and after thinking it was bearable, watched a few more episodes.
The "few more episodes" became "watch the rest of the season over the next few days"
the "watch the rest of the season over the next few days" soon became "go on every pony site imaginable" which soon became "find MLR, start attempting to make music, and then make a post about how you became a brony"
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby SkruffyPony » 07 Nov 2011 09:39

At first, I saw it everywhere online, so I decided to check out an episode.

The first one I saw was s1e12 "Call of the Cutie." My immediate reaction, after about 5 minutes was "WTF is this shit? Really? Damn!"

Then I ignored Ponies for a few months or so.

I then happened to stumble upon this video and thought it was awesome. I'm not even that big of a fan of Dr. Who, but I liked the animation.

I shared it with Voodeedoo who asked if I liked Ponies. I said I didn't, but I liked some of the fan made stuff.

Then, after watching and hearing some more fan made stuff, I decided to give the show another go, from the start this time. I literally watched every episode of season one over a few days and became obsessed.

Now, I'm here writing my own fan music and I love it! :D
SkruffyPony

Postby Diss Order » 07 Nov 2011 09:43

This guy brainwashed me. Started calling me his faithful student and even drew me as a freaking pony... Took him about a month to assimilate me.

Resistance is futile. :|
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Tephrax » 07 Nov 2011 14:17

Rofl'ed when a friend said he watched it
Buildup of denial / curiousity.
Watched the first episode.
Tried to convince myself I didn't like it.

Watched the rest of the episodes in one day.
Life = over.

BUT ITS OKAY I HAVE PONIES NOW.
Tephrax will never Give you up, let you down, run around or desert you.
http://soundcloud.com/tephrax/never-gonna-give-you-up-piano
YouTube!
Soundcloud
Tephrax

Postby Evdog » 15 Jan 2012 23:49

Senator Myth wrote:I was browsing KnowYourMeme.

Same with me, but TV Tropes as well. Once I had already watched a few episodes, one of my friends (the one I did this with) mentioned it in a phone conversation:

ME: ...so, what have you been doing?
HIM: Well, um... *short pause* I've been... getting into watching the new... My Little Pony series.
ME: ...ah.
HIM: *awkward silence*
ME: ...big adventures?
HIM: ... (because he probably didn't hear me)
ME: ...tons of fun a beautiful heart faithful and strong sharing kindness is an easy feat and magic makes it all complete.
HIM: !!!
ME: You're not alone.
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic