Tutorials, or something

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Tutorials, or something

Postby Calamus_Dash » 25 Nov 2011 17:07

So, I know a lot of people (myself included) have been saying that some of the more well-known artists here should make tutorials on how to use FL studio, or whatever DAW they're using. But then I realized that
A. there are already a ton of those on youtube
and B. I don't remember what I was going to put for B, so let's move on to the next point

Due to the relative ease of learning the basic functions of a DAW, I think everyone here can become proficient pretty easily.
BUT: I hope I'm not alone in saying I know absolutely nothing about synths. I don't know the difference between a square wave, a sine wave, or the difference between spectrum and formant, or when to use which of those, and I don't know if any of that made sense. This is why I think it would be beneficial to the community, or at least to those in the community who don't really know what they're doing (read: me) if someone made a guide as to how to make good sounding synths with massive, z3ta, and whatever other plugins exist out there. In my experience, the only tutorials I've seen only explain how to mimic one specific sound, rather than just general knowledge, which would be more useful in the long run.

This might seem unorganized and rambling, but I just spent a good five minutes typing it and I'm not gonna delete it now
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Re: Tutorials, or something

Postby Kyro » 25 Nov 2011 18:25

I'd appreciate something like this too. Most of the synth tutorials that I've come across have been far too specific for a beginner like me to understand and apply.
Kyro

Postby Versilaryan » 25 Nov 2011 19:27

The best way to do learn synths is to mess around with them. I always start by checking tutorials on how to make a specific sound (like Skrillex dubstep in Massive, or trance leads in Sylenth1) to get to know the synth and figure out where things are located. Then, I go off of that knowledge to make my own sounds.

I can go on and on about the specifics behind a lot of these settings, but they seriously won't do you any good. It's really up to you to figure out what sounds like what, and once you figure these things out, you'll notice that it's easier and easier to pick up new synths because the grand majority of these things carry over from one to another.

But, yeah. If you really want guides on what does what, prod somepony who knows more about synths than I do. =P In the meantime, just find a cool-looking one and screw around with it! It's actually a lot of fun, and a lot of my best sounds came from when I tried to emulate another sound, couldn't do it, gave up, and stuck with what I had.
Versilaryan

Postby Kragt » 28 Nov 2011 06:56

Seeing as all these tutorials are on youtube... would it be possible just to make a thread linking a few of them (in progressive order) then a few per style/genre?

Im seeing this format:

Intro:
1 Vid explaining the basic buttons and how to use FL likely 10 minutes long
2. A vid about using VSTs in FL, or some other features like events or such.

Repeat this as needed for other DAWs.

VSTs: Get a video on how to work with specific VSTs that are popular, or some such.
Nexus, Kontakt, Massive, etc.

Genres: This may not be needed, but a few vids per genre about how to get specific sounds out of the DAWs and VSTs may be handy.

How do you get a dubstep wobble, and also how do you do a bass drop?

How do you make phat kicks for hardstyle?

Vids for how to work under the limitations of chiptuneing go here?

Sorry for my lack of coherence.XD I just woke up today but I thought this might come in handy, or it might not but... *clicks submit*
Kragt

Postby TaisiKP » 28 Nov 2011 12:43

In regards to the FL Studio guide I requested: I learn better through reading than by visuals.
TaisiKP

Postby Mundius » 28 Nov 2011 13:44

Kragt wrote:VSTs: Get a video on how to work with specific VSTs that are popular, or some such.
Nexus, Kontakt, Massive, etc.

Kragt wrote:Nexus

Nexus needs a tutorial? The only thing you might need is the reverb, the volume, and selecting the sound. Arps, not much.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Kragt » 28 Nov 2011 17:13

I havn't used nexus at all. *cant figure out how to get FL to open it* XD But it was an example. =p
Kragt

Postby Mundius » 28 Nov 2011 17:50

Kragt wrote:I havn't used nexus at all. *cant figure out how to get FL to open it* XD But it was an example. =p

This is interesting. Just PM me and I'll reply with an answer and a few troubleshooting tips I figured out while installing Nexus. 12 times. In one day.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique