Real orchestras??

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Real orchestras??

Postby Facade » 15 Nov 2011 20:48

where do you think i could find a real orchestra to play something i wrote? i don't have money so free would be preferred
wait maybe we should all learn a bunch of instruments and we could have our own orchestra
that would be awesome
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Re: Real orchestras??

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 15 Nov 2011 20:53

For free? Nowhere...orchestras have a tough time in this day and age as it is, so they're not going to play something for free! They also have tight schedules, so they contact you for performances, rather than you contact them...
You could try high school orchestras, but they usually have different instrumentation and tend to butcher most pieces! :P
Best to stick with the sampled stuff...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Mundius » 15 Nov 2011 21:26

Dr_Dissonance wrote:You could try high school orchestras, but they usually have different instrumentation and tend to butcher most pieces! :P

This was very true on Remembrance Day (where nothing is allowed to go wrong). The entire brass section was off-key, they did a horrible attempt at a remix of a few songs (literally, I can do far better in 10 minutes), and the last song, which was just one trumpet... it was THE WORST BUTCHERING OF A SONG.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Versilaryan » 15 Nov 2011 23:01

The high school orchestras that don't butcher songs tend to be incredibly busy, too, so it really is best to stick to samples.

Also, the problem with us all picking up instruments and making an orchestra is that we'd all suck (well, most of us that don't have prior orchestral experience). Then, the people writing the music needs to work extra hard on making sure all the parts are easy and that restricts things a lot. I can't speak for other instrument groups, but brass especially, you have to pay /really/ close attention to range because beginner brass ranges suck so hard. (Seriously, my first year on trumpet, my range was one octave. It took me three years to expand that another octave and a half, and it's basically just stayed there since. >.>)
Versilaryan

Return to Technique