Expanding my Repertoire

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Expanding my Repertoire

Postby 2clop » 02 Nov 2011 22:43

I don't want to make this a basic "I don't know anything, tell me everything" but it very well may turn into one. Anyways, I have a good deal of musical experience. I originally practiced classical guitar for a few years, then I branched out and played some metal and then finally settled on folk. I also play the piano and tin whistle. I also used to make hip hop beats occasionally.
What I'm hoping to do is learn how to make... bigger and better electronic music. My beats were mainly focused on providing a structure on which someone could rap. They worked, but I wouldn't listen to them on their own necessarily. I can do drums, melody, orchestration, and the bassline (although I am weak with that, need to work on that if there are any good tips/resources), but what I can't do is... everything else. What can I do to add the flesh and garments to the skeleton of my beats? I'm out of practice now anyways, but everything I do sounds so very primitive and bare.
I should note I use FL and I'm working on mastering Ableton.
2clop

Re: Expanding my Repertoire

Postby [voodoopony] » 04 Nov 2011 07:07

Are you saying you can make good beats but have a hard time utilizing them to their full potential? If so, I sorta have that problem, too.

I noticed my 'working to getting-ideas' ratio was really uneven, but eventually after getting to know the DAW more I became more flexible. I think you should just listen to as much variety of music as possible, eventually you'll get a taste for sound. Kind of like how book writers read a shittonne of books to maintain their creativity [good artists borrow, great artists steal].
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Return to Technique