Ableton, should I read the Manual and do the lessons?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Ableton, should I read the Manual and do the lessons?

Postby Dabrenn » 13 Dec 2011 19:59

Topic says it all, I'm totally new to Ableton and 99% new to making music (I've spent maybe a grand total of 5 hours inside of FLstudio, but I have played piano for many years so I do know musical theory). I think I want to use Ableton over FL (Advice on this issue is valued as well) and I was wondering if you guys think that reading the VERY daunting and lengthy manual, plus doing all the built in lessons are worth my time?

Or should I just do the Lessons and not the manual or vice versa?

Or just jump in and do nothing?

Thanks for any and all help! I'm new a very willing to eat up every piece of wisdom from more experienced users.
Dabrenn

Re: Ableton, should I read the Manual and do the lessons?

Postby Aussie » 13 Dec 2011 22:53

Definitely worth it. I learned lots of things that helped me get started with that manual. Go look on Youtube for some beginner tutorials too!
Aussie

Postby Overkillius » 14 Dec 2011 02:14

as far as I know on the Ableton over FL issue, I've heard that you can do more with Other DAWs than you can with FL.

I think you should do what Aussie reccomends! The internet is your friend when it comes to learning.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Xzon » 14 Dec 2011 20:13

I'd just stick with the lessons. Thats what I did, and now I'm a total bitchin rock star from Mars.
Xzon

Postby randomblockfilms » 14 Dec 2011 20:28

yeah read the manual. Ive wasted about a month looking for good lessons about how to use ableton when all this time i could have been reading the manual. I gotta say that the manual is probably best for learning how to use ableton.

im not even like 3 quarters of the way through it and ive learned a lot about it. its got very very good info!
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby Versilaryan » 14 Dec 2011 23:23

If you google "Ableton tricks", you'll get a ton of useful little things that the manual doesn't explain. But Ableton's built-in getting started guide is pretty good. You should stick with that.

As for Ableton vs. FL, I personally like Ableton better. But it's entirely up to you. Stick with a DAW until you get fed up with its limitations. Find a new DAW whose limitations don't bother you as much.
Versilaryan

Postby Dabrenn » 15 Dec 2011 07:02

Thanks all! My christmas break is coming up so I should have time to read the manual, Hopefully i can get through it all.

It seems that the majority of the people who have used both FL and Ableton prefer Ableton, so I think I'm to buckle down and learn Ableton.
Dabrenn

Return to Technique