Where to start?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Where to start?

Postby guitarskills » 09 Jul 2011 16:15

Like I said earlier, I want Pro-53. It sounds amazing!

It got discontinued, though, so I have no idea how to buy it...
guitarskills

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 09 Jul 2011 17:21

It sounds like he's got some SLIGHT delay, a sizable amount of reverb, and the synth itself sounds like a 3 way OSC with a saw, square, and maybe a triangle wave? I'm not THAT good w/ raw OSC workings myself. but this is just what I'm hearing.
FL comes standard w/ the 3xOSC and you can choose all of those wave types to find a sound you want. Then you simply add the effects to them via the mixer window. which should be the little icon that looks kinda like an Equalizer.
Last edited by Bagpipe Brony on 09 Jul 2011 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby guitarskills » 09 Jul 2011 17:35

Bagpipe Brony wrote:أبجدية عربية‎ أبجدية عربية‎ أبجدية عربية‎ أبجدية عربية‎ أبجدية عربية‎ أبجدية عربية‎ أبجدية عربية‎ أبجدية عربية‎

I'm sorry could you repeat yourself in English?

Just kidding, I'll be back when after I go look up all that stuff.
I am so screwed :(
guitarskills

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 09 Jul 2011 17:54

Lol that's Arabic not Chinese. What I told you is common knowledge amongst electro artists (Even I know about it, me being an orchestral guy) so please, learn it and then use it. It will come fast as delay and reverb are easy things to learn but a little harder to master. The synth waves make take some time to effectively use though.
All you need to do basically is look up how to use the 3xOSC and how to add effects in FL.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 09 Jul 2011 18:53

guitarskills wrote:
Derpy Hooves wrote:On top of forcing you to learn how to work the plugins

But how do you learn?...

Doing is learning, go play with some knobs and find out what they do - it's pretty fun
Whitetail

Postby guitarskills » 09 Jul 2011 21:23

Derpy Hooves wrote:
guitarskills wrote:
Derpy Hooves wrote:On top of forcing you to learn how to work the plugins

But how do you learn?...

Doing is learning, go play with some knobs and find out what they do - it's pretty fun

I can't bring myself to do it. I feel like dying every time I remember I know nothing about the knobs...

I'll work on that, though.
guitarskills

Postby zorg » 10 Jul 2011 17:06

I'll make an introductory .flp file for those who are interested, explaining some stuff about the DAW that i know, along with some things that you can do with different instruments and whatnot. i'll post a link to it here later, when it's done. I might expand it later, or make a second one.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 10 Jul 2011 20:16

Zorg, you have the best avatar ever lol
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby ArtAttack » 10 Jul 2011 20:22

Funny thing is, I've actually seen that in a band piece, and I couldn't stop thinking about the avatar XD
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby aap998 » 11 Jul 2011 10:44

... could anyone enlighten me?
aap998

Postby zorg » 12 Jul 2011 02:22

so yeah, i made a thread for the tutorial:

http://www.mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=153
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby FoozogzPepperBrony » 22 Jul 2011 20:21

guitarskills wrote:
Derpy Hooves wrote:
guitarskills wrote:
But how do you learn?...

I can't bring myself to do it. I feel like dying every time I remember I know nothing about the knobs...

I'll work on that, though.

Be cautious with the feedback/frequency knobs.
DAW: Ableton
HELLO, OLD FRIENDS~
FoozogzPepperBrony

Postby [voodoopony] » 25 Jul 2011 17:38

I can write a novel on things I'd recommend but what I'd say above all is be yourself; when you try to be something or make something you're not it will set you up for failure and smash the balls of your motivation.
While it's trendy to look up tutorials on how to get Skrillex or Excision style bass or Deadmau5 style sidechaining, and also somewhat imformative, it's best to stick to what you do.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby Andy Feelin » 26 Jul 2011 06:33

I had experience with NI Pro 53, there are really a lot of knobs and unless you learn whole theory of sound synthesizing the only way to learn how to use those knobs is to try each of them and hear what happens.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby PinkiePieSwear » 27 Jul 2011 08:41

Nothing I ever composed sounded all that great until I found libraries with better sounds. The sounds that come with FL Studio are pretty crap, and I'm too lazy to figure out how to make good sounds come out of the VSTs that come with the program. If you can find sounds and samples and build a better library, that is something that might help quite a bit. It made all the difference in the world for me.
PinkiePieSwear

Postby Andy Feelin » 27 Jul 2011 08:44

PinkiePieSwear wrote:The sounds that come with FL Studio are pretty crap, and I'm too lazy to figure out how to make good sounds come out of the VSTs that come with the program.

Nope, Sytrus is awesome methinks.
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Andy Feelin

Postby PinkiePieSwear » 27 Jul 2011 11:33

Andy Feelin wrote:
PinkiePieSwear wrote:The sounds that come with FL Studio are pretty crap, and I'm too lazy to figure out how to make good sounds come out of the VSTs that come with the program.

Nope, Sytrus is awesome methinks.

Oh, I was only referring to the audio samples that come in the browser. I guess I should've mentioned that some of the presets that are included with some of the VSTs are kinda nice, though Sytrus presets can sound kind of corny sometimes. But yes, there are a few that are very pretty.
PinkiePieSwear

Postby Andy Feelin » 29 Jul 2011 04:37

Yes, the samples are not good, and you can easily recognize a n00b by hearing those drum sounds!
YouTube
Andy Feelin

Postby BlackWind » 04 Oct 2011 00:25

Okay i have been listening to techno and subgenres thereof and want to contribute. where would i start(programs, soundclips, synths, ect.)?
BlackWind

Postby Versilaryan » 04 Oct 2011 00:37

The FL default drum samples aren't /too/ bad. You just have to take some extra time tweaking them to make them sound right. They're what I use 'cause I don't have anything better. xD

If you want to start, I'd highly recommend FL Studio. It's easily the most beginner-friendly interface (but not the most advanced-user-friendly -- if you get tired of FL, look into other DAWs like Ableton) and comes with a ton of stuff to play around with.
Then, get Synth1. It's a free synth and by far the easiest to use, and it's pretty incredible how many sounds you can get out of it. Other fun ones include Minimogue, and if you can afford it/pirate it, NI Massive.

If you get FL Studio, the basic plugins that come with it (the reverb, limiter/compressor, etc.) aren't bad at all, so you won't have to worry too much about finding those. I'd also recommend dblue glitch, mostly because it's such a fun effect to play around with.
Versilaryan

Postby Aussie » 04 Oct 2011 00:39

BlackWind wrote:Okay i have been listening to techno and subgenres thereof and want to contribute. where would i start(programs, soundclips, synths, ect.)?

For programs, I can't really say what you should or shouldn't use (HOWEVER I TOTALLY RECOMMEND ABLETON SINCE I USE IT HOHOHO). Just take a look at some DAWs, like FLStudio, or Cubase, or whatever, and see what sounds good to you.

Soundclips, just google "sample packs" or something similar, and you'll find all the drums/vocal samples/effects you could possibly need.

Synths, take a look around Bartekko's VST thread, we have a good list of synths in there. :D
Aussie

Postby guitarskills » 15 Jan 2012 16:41

I am proud to say that I can now look back at everything and understand it perfectly! Instead of being the one taught, I spend a lot of time teaching people now :D
guitarskills

Previous

Return to Technique