Audacity 1.3 help

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Audacity 1.3 help

Postby Shadowflame » 09 Jan 2012 16:48

I'm trying to make a dubstep involving the everfree forest. Tried with advice from youtube videos, and it nearly killed my car's subwoofers. Anypony know which effects or plugins to use to get the wubs I need?
Shadowflame

Re: Audacity 1.3 help

Postby bartekko » 09 Jan 2012 16:53

Shadowflame wrote:I'm trying to make a dubstep involving the everfree forest. Tried with advice from youtube videos, and it nearly killed my car's subwoofers. Anypony know which effects or plugins to use to get the wubs I need?

Ahem: Do you want to make music using audacity?

if yes, then you can't do music in audacity (okay, you can, but nobody does that because audacity is ms paint of sound)

if no, then how it's related to audacity?
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Shadowflame » 09 Jan 2012 16:59

bartekko wrote:
Shadowflame wrote:I'm trying to make a dubstep involving the everfree forest. Tried with advice from youtube videos, and it nearly killed my car's subwoofers. Anypony know which effects or plugins to use to get the wubs I need?

Ahem: Do you want to make music using audacity?

if yes, then you can't do music in audacity (okay, you can, but nobody does that because audacity is ms paint of sound)

if no, then how it's related to audacity?

Well unless you know of a better program that runs on Linux, it's what I've got to use.
Shadowflame

Postby bartekko » 09 Jan 2012 17:08

LMMS.

It's what circutfry used for "We broke it"

[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Versilaryan » 09 Jan 2012 18:15

Some tips so it won't destroy subwoofers:

Use EQ to get rid of unnecessary lows muddying up your bass. A lot of dubstep wobbles actually don't need very much in the sub-bass range because most of the tone is in the mids and the wobble sound comes from the mid-highs. And if it does need the sub-bass range, it doesn't need it very much. You should have a sub-bass synth holding down the bass range if you need it there.

Make the sub bass softer. If you're layering an 808 or 909 kick in your kick drum, you might need to make that softer, too.

Make sure your basses aren't panned anywhere. Your bass stuff should always be centered, and if something's panned off-center, especially recorded sounds, you might need to highpass those to get rid of any unnecessary bass.

Lastly, if you're mixing this using earbuds or older, low-quality speakers, you should make the bass softer than you think it should be. I know it's a problem with a lot of my speakers -- you can NOT hear the bass on them. So I always mix the bass softer than I think it should be and ask other people if it's too loud/soft.
Versilaryan

Postby Navron » 09 Jan 2012 18:51

If you can pull off dubstep in Audacity, you deserve some mad respect.

There's a lot of disadvantages to Audacity, such as it's lack of VST support, however there appears to be a plugin that can utilize VSTs. Whether or not this will work with a Linux version is a different story.

http://web.audacityteam.org/vst/

I don't think Audacity supports automation either, which is a key factor when creating dubstep electronically. It can still be done manually, but will be much more time consuming.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Return to Technique