New to remixing!

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

New to remixing!

Postby Cutie Mark Remixes! » 10 Dec 2011 13:02

Greetings everypony! I'm just a normal, everyday brony who would like to get into remixing after being inspired by listening to WoodenToaster and other various artists on Youtube. So I'm kind of in a bind here... Being absolutely new to remixing, I have no idea on what to do or what programs to use. If anypony else has any advice and suggestions on what programs, hardware, equipment and stuff like that to use, your responses would be greatly appreciated!

Also... A few tips and hints on how to remix wouldn't hurt as well. :D
Cutie Mark Remixes!

Re: New to remixing!

Postby bartekko » 10 Dec 2011 14:04

1.)The first thing you should do, is listen to a lot of different music, and try to think about how the song flows, what are the main parts of it and how it's built.

2.) once you want to actually get to music making I'd recommend getting something very easy to work with. I started using MAGIX music maker, what is really good for getting a hold on music making from the beginning. It's basically a platform where you learn the ropes before going on to something more serious, like ableton live or cubase, or reason, maybe FL studio. Your DAW choice is a personal taste thing. Sounds are more about what VST's you use.

General tips:
-Just Do It. Keep messing around until you make something you like.
-If your songs suck, know that everyone has to start somewhere.
-Ask someone you like and who uses the same software for a project of one of their songs. You are very likely to get what you're looking for, especially in this community.

-not everyone started by remixing.

-Collaborate, you are very likely to learn a lot.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Image
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Calamus_Dash » 10 Dec 2011 14:23

man, I had a really long post typed out and then bartekko beat me to it. I just want to stress how important that quote is, though. It doesn't matter if your first song sucks (mine did) or your first dozen songs suck, because as long as you're making more music, you'll be improving
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby Versilaryan » 10 Dec 2011 15:24

Seriously, what Bartekko said. All I want to do is stress how important #1 is. There's even a wonderful article I always show people about that (among other things).

When you listen, especially if you want to know why a song you like is so awesome, listen actively. Listen to how it sounds, and do your best to figure out what they did to make it sound so awesome, and then emulate it. What ends up happening is if you try to emulate something you haven't done before, you'll learn SO much more about how to use the things at your disposal, and plus you'll have another weapon in your musical arsenal.

So listen listen listen! And listen actively!
Versilaryan

Postby Freewave » 10 Dec 2011 15:42

Software I use:
Fl Studios is used quite often in electronic music and its very powerful (and a bit difficult to master as its so damn powerful).
Reaper is a good stripped down DAW that allows midi use and multi track capability
Acid I use for loops as its intuitive for it.

Keep in mind what many people do is not use default instruments is to add a VST synth or effect for their DAW as they'll work for just about any DAW and give a lot more unique and pro sound.

When you get the stems (individual components for a song) from whomever you are remixing you 'll either want to get the:

[*]individual wavs (so you can do different things with the drums, bass, synths, vocals, etc)
[*]individual midi's which in many ways is better as you can then change the instrument drastically and cut & loop any melodies and patterns if that is what you are after w/o worrying about wav cuts sounding... off.
[*]or as a last ditch scenario remix a full complete track, which is hard to do as you get stuck with the existing components of the song and will be unable to change much of it
[*]or you can remix by creating something completely new from an inspiration (more like a cover than a remix)

Remixing can be a good way to start as you're at least starting with something that's either good to begin with or with something where you've identified the problems that you'd like to fix on the remix. It's quicker and may get you better results than composing and luckily a lot of people in this community are quite fine with getting a remix. :)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Cutie Mark Remixes! » 10 Dec 2011 18:36

Thanks! I just downloaded MAGIX, started to use it a bit and I freakin' love it so far!
Cutie Mark Remixes!

Postby Tiaaaaa » 10 Dec 2011 22:09

bartekko wrote:Image

That is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Sorry, I just need to say that. :oops:
Anyway, more on topic. It might not be particularly helpful to you at the moment, but there is a thread in one of the subforums here about free VSTs, and what not. LMMS is also a pretty decent free DAW. Of course, professional software is going to be better, but what do you want for free. FL Studio also has a free working demo. Again, don't know if this is helpful for you now especially since you've already got MAGIX to work with, but it's good to know further down the line anyway.
Tiaaaaa

Postby Makkon » 10 Dec 2011 22:23

Bartekko, just wanted to say that was some awesome advice.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Facade » 10 Dec 2011 22:40

i would sugest printing that quote out and taping it to your wall or something that quote is the reason i still make music
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Rumpy » 12 Dec 2011 12:16

I haven't had much experience with the electronic side of the force so far, but I've been writing stuff for the past seven years or so. As such, I may have some pointers:
- Listen to stuff. No, really. Listen to a lot of diverse music, paying attention to how it's built, how the stuff within works, how it all clicks. It's important that you don't limit yourself to a small batch of stuff but keep searching, as such you can pick up some traits of different artists who appeal to you and mash it up with some of your own identity to create something unique. There's no point duping X if X already exists and has a whole bunch of material out, is there?
- Your initial stuff will suck. There's nothing wrong with that, we all need to learn the ropes. A fine non-electronic example of musical growth would be Sceptical Schizo - the bunch of Finns started out making horrid death/thrash that was downright sloppy and unlistenable, but with time they found a different area of music to explore, picked up some skill, and their pre-breakup atmospheric doom EPs are very good. Keep pushing yourself.
- To expand on the "keep pushing yourself" - whenever you get the feeling that you've gotten as much juice out of a given musical foray as you can, and you're settling into a comfort zone and writing songs on autopilot, kick yourself in the @$$ and find a new aural avenue to explore. Don't let your creative flame and curiosity wind down, challenge yourself.
- Get feedback. Sure, that ditty you just did may or may not be up to standard according to you, but getting a fresh pair of ears or two to check out your work won't hurt. I made more progress in two months with others' feedback than I made in two years without others listening.
- Have fun. There may be moments when you won't be enjoying yourself as you try to clear a challenging hurdle, but you should be having a good time overall. Remember, it's awesome - you take notes, slap them together, and they somehow manage to sound not-random, how cool is that?
Rumpy

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 13 Dec 2011 13:38

Versilaryan wrote:Seriously, what Bartekko said. All I want to do is stress how important #1 is. There's even a wonderful article I always show people about that (among other things).

I just wanted to say, thanks for sharing that, it's wonderful. Jesus, what peace of mind.

Regarding the topic, what pretty much everyone else said. Listen to many different things, and never stop creating, ever.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Overkillius » 14 Dec 2011 02:31

Obviously you listen to music, but now that you want to make music, listen to it with an analytic mind. Think "HOW DID THEY DO THAT?!?!" and try your best to figure it out! Learning how to music also takes dedication! never give up if it is what you want!
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby randomblockfilms » 14 Dec 2011 20:51

Versilaryan wrote:Seriously, what Bartekko said. All I want to do is stress how important #1 is. There's even a wonderful article I always show people about that (among other things).

wow i read that whole thing and now i kind of feel like smart and idk. just feel good. incredible information right there in that link. go read it if you all ready haven't
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby CGEyeGuy » 14 Dec 2011 23:21

My piece of advice is never stop and constrain yourself too extremely tight deadlines.
I only give myself two or three hours.
Think of it like you are doing a figure drawing, warm yourself up with 30 second gesture sketches.

It will be a pain, but it will cause you to react way more quickly and find shortcuts.

If you are going to be using a DAW you should watch tons of tutorials until you are ready to venture around the DAW and experiment on your own.
CGEyeGuy

Return to Technique