Dipping my hooves into the shallow end here...

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Dipping my hooves into the shallow end here...

Postby Freewave » 01 Dec 2011 23:37

actually i need to change my statement i actually have a 49 key keyboard which are a slight bit cheaper. i wouldn't go any lower then that as i feel its just the right size. 25 keys are WAY too small.

Again you can get a 49 key m-audio for ~$100.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_music ... in=M-Audio

again its just a midi keyboard and you 'll likely get the most use from the the DAW and synth plugins you get afterwards which will be compatible. As long as its reliable (and it should be) there's no reason to go for broke on the keyboard itself.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Kyro » 02 Dec 2011 18:16

Possibly silly but innocent question - why are 25 keys too small, unless I intend to do any sort of live playing?
Kyro

Postby Lethaargic » 03 Dec 2011 18:59

Kyro wrote:Possibly silly but innocent question - why are 25 keys too small, unless I intend to do any sort of live playing?

I guess just so you have a better idea of what key your actually playing, you can see it instead of playing it by ear. Probably not a real big deal until you've been making music for a little while, I've yet to have a need for one.
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby Freewave » 04 Dec 2011 13:20

if you are going to do only playing on one hand a 25 key might be sufficient, but using 2 hands it really won't. up to you but obviously there's price jumps between 25,49, and 61. you can always move up and down octaves on the first 2 but as i said a 25 key can limit your playing especially if you any semblance of a real keyboard or 2 handed playing.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Kyro » 04 Dec 2011 14:22

Mmm. I can see how that would be a problem, but I don't actually play keyboard and I'm not sure that I'd use both hands very often...perhaps it would be a worthy investment eventually, but I'm still not sure. I did find some cheap 49s in the link you posted, though.
Kyro

Previous

Return to Technique