Introducing: The Brony Music Wiki!

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Re: Introducing: The Brony Music Wiki!

Postby Mischief Max » 12 Apr 2013 16:35

I created a page for my self, took a break for a day, so I could polish it, and came back, unable to edit it, or anything...
I can't even edit other pages, now... so I can't add all the people I was going to add, either...

I had also used Colortwelve's page as a base for mine, and if I'm reading the log correctly, he deleted a bunch of stuff I had put on my page...
Mischief Max

Postby colortwelve » 12 Apr 2013 16:54

Mischief Max wrote:I had also used Colortwelve's page as a base for mine, and if I'm reading the log correctly, he deleted a bunch of stuff I had put on my page...

Sorry if this comes across as... Well, I'm not quite sure how it would come across, but your bio seemed to me to consist of what the guidelines call 'impertinent information,' meaning it wasn't so much a bio as a few sentences that seem to apply to all musicians - like the bit about finding your style. Everyone does that.

The last thing I want to do is make people feel like their contributions don't matter, but if you don't have a story to tell, don't say anything. Glaze's page doesn't have a bio, because nobody I know of really knows his story. Conversely, Gryfinz' page doesn't have a bio because his music career pretty much sums up to 'he released some music, then he released some music, then he released more music.' I guess my page has a bio because I figured out a way to articulate why my albums are important to my career - and they are very important to me. Maybe if you could provide something detailing exactly how you started and exactly why a given song or release is important to your development as a musician, it'd have a greater chance of staying up. But offer some detail, don't just say that you too attempted to find a style of music to make.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Mischief Max » 12 Apr 2013 17:40

colortwelve wrote:
Mischief Max wrote:I had also used Colortwelve's page as a base for mine, and if I'm reading the log correctly, he deleted a bunch of stuff I had put on my page...

Sorry if this comes across as... Well, I'm not quite sure how it would come across, but your bio seemed to me to consist of what the guidelines call 'impertinent information,' meaning it wasn't so much a bio as a few sentences that seem to apply to all musicians - like the bit about finding your style. Everyone does that.

The last thing I want to do is make people feel like their contributions don't matter, but if you don't have a story to tell, don't say anything. Glaze's page doesn't have a bio, because nobody I know of really knows his story. Conversely, Gryfinz' page doesn't have a bio because his music career pretty much sums up to 'he released some music, then he released some music, then he released more music.' I guess my page has a bio because I figured out a way to articulate why my albums are important to my career - and they are very important to me. Maybe if you could provide something detailing exactly how you started and exactly why a given song or release is important to your development as a musician, it'd have a greater chance of staying up. But offer some detail, don't just say that you too attempted to find a style of music to make.

I understand.
Pretty much, I just saw that some of the artist pages had a Bio, so I figured i should include one for my own. So I explained my perception of my own style, which I find different from most other musicians, and how I interpreted each aspect of it.

I'm fine with not having a Bio, that was just something that I decided that I could do, since others had it, But the large problem, is that I can't update my page. I have a couple new songs out, and being released that I can't update. Along with that, I am unable to create any of the other pages that I had planned on creating, for other artists.
Mischief Max

Postby airdropmusic » 13 Apr 2013 15:25

Mischief Max wrote:
colortwelve wrote:

I understand.
Pretty much, I just saw that some of the artist pages had a Bio, so I figured i should include one for my own. So I explained my perception of my own style, which I find different from most other musicians, and how I interpreted each aspect of it.

I'm fine with not having a Bio, that was just something that I decided that I could do, since others had it, But the large problem, is that I can't update my page. I have a couple new songs out, and being released that I can't update. Along with that, I am unable to create any of the other pages that I had planned on creating, for other artists.

You can't edit or add because I'm implementing a ton of anti-spam features ATM, and spammers had taken over the site, making puppet accounts and spam pages. I'm sorry about this; you'll be able to edit by tomorrow. Look at the main page of the wiki.
airdropmusic

Primary: Live 9
Cutie Mark: Ambient shit

Postby airdropmusic » 13 Apr 2013 15:36

Alright, everything should be fine now.
airdropmusic

Postby Mischief Max » 13 Apr 2013 18:32

airdropmusic wrote:Alright, everything should be fine now.

Alright sweet, thanks.

I'm going to start to get on adding a number of pages in, soon.
Mischief Max

Postby Makkon » 13 Apr 2013 21:46

Ha, I'm today's featured article!

The captcha is an effective way to curb spam accounts created autonomously. It's worked for us so far
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby airdropmusic » 14 Apr 2013 17:58

Makkon wrote:Ha, I'm today's featured article!

The captcha is an effective way to curb spam accounts created autonomously. It's worked for us so far

You have been for like a week. I haven't gotten around to changing it. :P
airdropmusic

Postby Paianni » 07 May 2013 12:33

It appears spam hasn't been eliminated entirely. What I'm probably going to try from now on is setting up a rule in the Guidelines page, which basically constitutes banning anyone who signs up with a username of random characters (numerals/alphas) that aren't arranged in some sort of name. This means we can block the user before they post anything inappropriate for the site, save a bit of time.
Paianni

Postby Viricide Filly » 08 May 2013 05:09

I should probably set up a page on this for MiAmore Media. It's just I have no idea how lel.
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby airdropmusic » 09 May 2013 08:02

Viricide Filly wrote:I should probably set up a page on this for MiAmore Media. It's just I have no idea how lel.

I can do it for ya.
airdropmusic

Postby airdropmusic » 20 May 2013 17:39

bumping for great justice.
airdropmusic

Postby Paianni » 08 Jun 2013 06:36

Okay, I'm beginning to get a little concerned that actual development has almost stagnated entirely and that the only 'contributions' being made currently seems to be ones of spam. Its not worth me up-keeping the site and continuing to delete the rubbish if it isn't going to get used for anything else. I would write pages upon pages if I could but right now I've got exams to take care of.
Paianni

Postby colortwelve » 08 Jun 2013 09:55

Well, my summer started today, so I should be good to shift gears and try to get shit done. I'm thinking what we need right now is a solid base of as many well-known artists, albums, and tracks as possible and a revised way of featuring articles (I was initially imagining that the featured songs and remixes would just be batches of well-known ones with Wiki pages, not just a list of the featured artist's stuff (not to mention a system like that makes it a bit harder to determine what to do if the featured article isn't an artist)).

And yes, as people get off for summer and become free to contribute, it will become more useful to keep cleaning up spam, so keep at it. I'll probably start contributing within a week, because I'm traveling starting on Tuesday, but I'll have plenty of free time which I should be able to use for this site ^_^
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Paianni » 28 Jul 2013 11:52

Bumping for visibility

I was away for over a week so now I've effectively landed myself on the side of a mountain of rubbish that keeps getting higher every day. What a massive pain in the ass, especially as I've got much better things to be getting on with. But I'll keep going because I'm sure there's someone here who may want to pick up the ball and write some articles and hopefully raise the site's presence.
Paianni

Postby Freewave » 28 Jul 2013 12:25

I'm really not trying to be a jerk but I've thrown my efforts to adding brony music info via a wiki to the mlp fan art wiki. It's just a lot more supported, a lot more visual, more features, and part of an existing wiki system that's more than just music. Really liked the idea of a wiki system that you proposed but it just became clear that there was a better version already existing and it's been gaining more ground every day.... :oops:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Paianni » 28 Jul 2013 13:20

Not that the fan wiki isn't any better and more supported than Wilson Biggs' standalone site, I more worried that I am the only person that has contributed anything to the site for more than a month now. I mean, surely the format has potential and more to give. I'll still have to agree with Freewave though, this wiki was too little too late, and there are already much better featured alternatives out there.
Paianni

Postby Paianni » 01 Aug 2013 13:14

Right Biggles and Colortwelve, I just finished my last round of maintenance, finally having caught up with all the spam I missed a few weeks ago. I have just had it. I'm fed up on being the only one who seems to have the time to do anything to the site. So I'm jumping ship to the site Freewave mentioned earlier. I'm sorry, but you came round to this with too little, too late. I'm going to copy out all the content I wrote for this wiki into the fan-art wiki shortly.
Paianni

Postby airdropmusic » 02 Aug 2013 17:24

well I fucked everything up.

sorry. i've been really busy.

i could use some ftp space anyways
airdropmusic

Previous

Return to Sharing is Magic