Audio Ripping/Recording Software

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Audio Ripping/Recording Software

Postby Scooteroot » 21 Jan 2012 16:04

Before I start, I just want to mention that I already have Audacity and unless I"m missing something, it's not helping with what I'm trying to do here.

Is there a program that allows one to rip/record/convert audio files straight from a flash game or something to that extent? I ask mainly because there are a plethora of web games that I used to play when I was younger that contain sounds and BGMs that I would very much like to sample.
Although I'm more of a music appreciator than a music maker (due to a lethal combination of laziness and lack of self-confidence) I do have rare moments where I actually do make stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/hoarseplay
Scooteroot

Re: Audio Ripping/Recording Software

Postby bartekko » 21 Jan 2012 16:18

When you open audacity, you should be able to choose something like "Stereo mix" as recording option.

It records what you hear from speakers. If there's no such option, you can either dig deeper, or blame the soundcard's producer
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby bartekko » 21 Jan 2012 16:18

When you open audacity, you should be able to choose something like "Stereo mix" as recording option.

It records what you hear from speakers. If there's no such option, you can either dig deeper, or blame the soundcard's producer
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Versilaryan » 21 Jan 2012 16:25

Assuming you're running Windows:
Find the sound/volume icon in the lower-right, by the clock. Right-click it and press "Playback Devices" or something similar to it.
If you aren't there already, find the tab where all your speakers are listed.
Right-click anywhere in the window and click "Show disabled devices".
See if you have "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" or something like that there. That's the driver that will let you record the sounds coming from your computer. All you have to do is go to Audacity, select your self-recording driver as your microphone, and record.

If you don't have that, then you need to buy a 1/8" to 1/8" cable. It's the same cable that lets you plug your iPod into some stereos or in the car or something. Anyways, plug one end of that cable into the microphone plug and another end into the headphones plug. Then record from your standard computer microphone. What this will do is use your headphone jack as a "microphone", thereby recording sounds you hear on your computer.

If you own a Mac or run Linux or something, I'm not sure if there's an easier way, but if all else fails, that cable connecting thing should work.
Versilaryan

Postby Scooteroot » 21 Jan 2012 16:54

Versilaryan wrote:Assuming you're running Windows:
Find the sound/volume icon in the lower-right, by the clock. Right-click it and press "Playback Devices" or something similar to it.
If you aren't there already, find the tab where all your speakers are listed.
Right-click anywhere in the window and click "Show disabled devices".
See if you have "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" or something like that there. That's the driver that will let you record the sounds coming from your computer. All you have to do is go to Audacity, select your self-recording driver as your microphone, and record.

If you don't have that, then you need to buy a 1/8" to 1/8" cable. It's the same cable that lets you plug your iPod into some stereos or in the car or something. Anyways, plug one end of that cable into the microphone plug and another end into the headphones plug. Then record from your standard computer microphone. What this will do is use your headphone jack as a "microphone", thereby recording sounds you hear on your computer.

If you own a Mac or run Linux or something, I'm not sure if there's an easier way, but if all else fails, that cable connecting thing should work.

Wow! Who would've though that my obsession with never throwing anything away would come in handy someday? I've got a 1/8 cable and a stored in a box full of old cables AND an extension that allows me to plug in two different thing for one jack.

Thanks a lot!
Although I'm more of a music appreciator than a music maker (due to a lethal combination of laziness and lack of self-confidence) I do have rare moments where I actually do make stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/hoarseplay
Scooteroot

Postby AutomaticJack » 22 Jan 2012 02:05

I have a setting in Audition 1.5 that sets the input source on a channel to record whatever sound flows through the soundcar... I'm sure all versions past that have it as well
Pride can be wounded. Swagger is INVINCIBLE..
[The Factory] -- [The Showroom] -- [The Catalog]
DAW: FL Studio 11, Adobe Audition 1.5
Current Project: Too many to name!!! =P
AutomaticJack

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Master of all things Rhythmic

Return to Sharing is Magic